Daniele Rugani (35 Viewers)

Juvellino

Mar 19, 2015
40-50m I would take and run. The only way I would keep him is if Sarri can “revive” him but I don’t see it happening because it didn’t work out when Sarri brought Tonelli with him to Napoli.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
40-50m I would take and run. The only way I would keep him is if Sarri can “revive” him but I don’t see it happening because it didn’t work out when Sarri brought Tonelli with him to Napoli.
Revive him how? If he had at any point shown something more than we have seen during his time here, Id have been more optimistic. But no progress from him whatsoever, despite being surrounded by players like Chiellini that he could learn a lot from. He's the same timid player like when he joined. He lacks confidence for this level.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
Revive him how? If he had at any point shown something more than we have seen during his time here, Id have been more optimistic. But no progress from him whatsoever, despite being surrounded by players like Chiellini that he could learn a lot from. He's the same timid player like when he joined. He lacks confidence for this level.
He plays exactly like a young player who has absolutely no experience of defending at a high level and has been used in Serie A games against lowly opposition where we barely get out of 2nd gear.

He needs to play every week in Serie A to have any chance to progress, he has learnt all he can sitting on a bench watching Chiellini and Barzagli. We should loan/sell + buy back to someone who will play him.

Juvellino

Mar 19, 2015
I meant revive him to his Empoli form where he was apparently quite good. But it’s not like any of us saw much of Empoli. Who knows, maybe he was always overrated. He showed some flashes here in previous years but was quite bad this year despite being used frequently.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
He plays exactly like a young player who has absolutely no experience of defending at a high level and has been used in Serie A games against lowly opposition where we barely get out of 2nd gear.

He needs to play every week in Serie A to have any chance to progress, he has learnt all he can sitting on a bench watching Chiellini and Barzagli. We should loan/sell + buy back to someone who will play him.
Imo its a myth that Italian coaches dislike introducing young players into the team. Every player is capped at certain level and no amount of games can change that. Once you hit 21-22 years of age, in 99% cases that is it. To break into our first eleven or first eleven of any big team you need to hit the ground running, no time for pampering around. And at this level its a question of character, only ability isnt enough. Not that he has shown some extraordinary abilities here, looks weak and slow in duels.

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
His biggest problem is that he cannot play with Bonucci. Both aren't good aggresive and fast enough and they mange to be out-muscled easily.

Rugani next to Chiellini is good. Not world class but good. It's the same situation as with Bonucci. Simply put, they're not defensive leaders. Chiellini and Koulibaly are.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
His biggest problem is that he cannot play with Bonucci. Both aren't good aggresive and fast enough and they mange to be out-muscled easily.

Rugani next to Chiellini is good. Not world class but good. It's the same situation as with Bonucci. Simply put, they're not defensive leaders. Chiellini and Koulibaly are.
True, with a few differences (Rugani being even worse than Bonucci at tackling and defending the ground, while being much better in the air) and minus the WC playmaking, they are the same type

Question is, do his few positives make him a worth keep, especially for the huge numbers quoted for him in the past?

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
True, with a few differences (Rugani being even worse than Bonucci at tackling and defending the ground, while being much better in the air) and minus the WC playmaking, they are the same type

Question is, do his few positives make him a worth keep, especially for the huge numbers quoted for him in the past?
I guess that ship has sailed. Sarri wanted him both at Napoli and Chelsea, if we didn't believe in him back then, we should have sold him, but these things are never that easy.
It'd be very hard to bring in a better defender that would sit on the bench and that's the problem IMO. As it was already said, Rugani is good enough to be backup, so he stayed here for all these years.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I guess that ship has sailed. Sarri wanted him both at Napoli and Chelsea, if we didn't believe in him back then, we should have sold him, but these things are never that easy.
It'd be very hard to bring in a better defender that would sit on the bench and that's the problem IMO. As it was already said, Rugani is good enough to be backup, so he stayed here for all these years.
Good enough as a backup, to play in Serie A occasionally and give the starters some rest, i agree
Good enough as a backup, being 1st choice off the bench and rotating with the starters, being good enough to throw him in a big CL game, for that we need better. We waited too long to test and trust him in the biggest games, which shows now

May 23, 2013
Please when he starts performing at a world class level under Sarri don't jump onto the Rugani bandwagon. You don't get to jump on the wagon after shit talking a man to this degree.

He has greatness in him, just needs the right coach to bring it out of him. That coach is Sarri.

Demiral-Rugani the partnership of the future, compliment each other perfectly.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Sarri relying on Rugani as our main defender is just plain pathetic and has a big fail written on it.
Why would he rely on Rugani? Did I miss some interview?

- - - Updated - - -

Ogbonna was class compared to this joke.Even Boumsong too.
Please when he starts performing at a world class level under Sarri don't jump onto the Rugani bandwagon. You don't get to jump on the wagon after shit talking a man to this degree.

He has greatness in him, just needs the right coach to bring it out of him. That coach is Sarri.

Demiral-Rugani the partnership of the future, compliment each other perfectly.
Exageration on both ends

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
He can't play with bonucci...He has to play with Chiellini a player who may retire after next season. This wreaks of a complete defensive overhaul requirement. Honestly wouldnt mind offloading rugani and bonucci...bring in talented defenders. Fuck i miss the days of thuram cannavaro ferrara...chiellini isnt at their level yet he is the only defender we have who can actually defend.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 28)