Daniele Rugani (64 Viewers)

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
His biggest problem is that he cannot play with Bonucci. Both aren't good aggresive and fast enough and they mange to be out-muscled easily.

Rugani next to Chiellini is good. Not world class but good. It's the same situation as with Bonucci. Simply put, they're not defensive leaders. Chiellini and Koulibaly are.
True, with a few differences (Rugani being even worse than Bonucci at tackling and defending the ground, while being much better in the air) and minus the WC playmaking, they are the same type

Question is, do his few positives make him a worth keep, especially for the huge numbers quoted for him in the past?

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
True, with a few differences (Rugani being even worse than Bonucci at tackling and defending the ground, while being much better in the air) and minus the WC playmaking, they are the same type

Question is, do his few positives make him a worth keep, especially for the huge numbers quoted for him in the past?
I guess that ship has sailed. Sarri wanted him both at Napoli and Chelsea, if we didn't believe in him back then, we should have sold him, but these things are never that easy.
It'd be very hard to bring in a better defender that would sit on the bench and that's the problem IMO. As it was already said, Rugani is good enough to be backup, so he stayed here for all these years.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
I guess that ship has sailed. Sarri wanted him both at Napoli and Chelsea, if we didn't believe in him back then, we should have sold him, but these things are never that easy.
It'd be very hard to bring in a better defender that would sit on the bench and that's the problem IMO. As it was already said, Rugani is good enough to be backup, so he stayed here for all these years.
Good enough as a backup, to play in Serie A occasionally and give the starters some rest, i agree
Good enough as a backup, being 1st choice off the bench and rotating with the starters, being good enough to throw him in a big CL game, for that we need better. We waited too long to test and trust him in the biggest games, which shows now

May 23, 2013
Please when he starts performing at a world class level under Sarri don't jump onto the Rugani bandwagon. You don't get to jump on the wagon after shit talking a man to this degree.

He has greatness in him, just needs the right coach to bring it out of him. That coach is Sarri.

Demiral-Rugani the partnership of the future, compliment each other perfectly.

Vlad

Delusional
May 23, 2011
Sarri relying on Rugani as our main defender is just plain pathetic and has a big fail written on it.
Why would he rely on Rugani? Did I miss some interview?

- - - Updated - - -

Ogbonna was class compared to this joke.Even Boumsong too.
Please when he starts performing at a world class level under Sarri don't jump onto the Rugani bandwagon. You don't get to jump on the wagon after shit talking a man to this degree.

He has greatness in him, just needs the right coach to bring it out of him. That coach is Sarri.

Demiral-Rugani the partnership of the future, compliment each other perfectly.
Exageration on both ends

Adrian

Jan 31, 2003
He can't play with bonucci...He has to play with Chiellini a player who may retire after next season. This wreaks of a complete defensive overhaul requirement. Honestly wouldnt mind offloading rugani and bonucci...bring in talented defenders. Fuck i miss the days of thuram cannavaro ferrara...chiellini isnt at their level yet he is the only defender we have who can actually defend.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
We should loan him out/sell with a buyback if we are keeping Bonucci. There is nothing more to learn sitting on a bench. He will only progress now by playing regular games with intensity not games in 2nd gear against lower Serie A teams. He needs to toughen up and would get that by playing hard fought matches at another Serie A team.

He hasn't shown that he should get regular games here, so needs to go out and prove himself first.

Maybe Roma or Fiorentina would be good options if we are determined to get Zaniolo or Chiesa.

Juliano13

May 6, 2012
We should loan him out/sell with a buyback if we are keeping Bonucci. There is nothing more to learn sitting on a bench. He will only progress now by playing regular games with intensity not games in 2nd gear against lower Serie A teams. He needs to toughen up and would get that by playing hard fought matches at another Serie A team.

He hasn't shown that he should get regular games here, so needs to go out and prove himself first.

Maybe Roma or Fiorentina would be good options if we are determined to get Zaniolo or Chiesa.
I don't think anyone is going to spend good money on him. He's been exposed. He could be kept as a cheapish last resort backup.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I don't think anyone is going to spend good money on him. He's been exposed. He could be kept as a cheapish last resort backup.
Italian players are always highly regarded in Serie A, he still has a good reputation as a young defender. I'm sure plenty of teams would be interested in him if we made him available. Not that I think his next move should be about money, it should be about development.

He has shown signs that he can be a good defender, he needs to toughen up and show a bit more drive which will only come by playing. I think as a club it is more worthwhile for him to develop and play than learn nothing as a 5th defender, unless Sarri can get something more out of him given their past at Empoli.