Cristiano Ronaldo (55 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
They said quite a bit more than that actually.
Oh. I haven't seen them provide anything substantial. Then again, I'm not keeping that close a look on the entire thing.

You have to wonder though why Ronaldo & his representatives aren't more proactive. I mean, if you know there is no case/evidence & that what Der Spiegel is claiming are outright fabrications, why not go after them immediately?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Oh. I haven't seen them provide anything substantial. Then again, I'm not keeping that close a look on the entire thing.

You have to wonder though why Ronaldo & his representatives aren't more proactive. I mean, if you know there is no case/evidence & that what Der Spiegel is claiming are outright fabrications, why not go after them immediately?
The thing is newspapers have every right to cover the news. If Ronaldo is sued for alleged rape, a newspaper can publish articles regarding this case. This isn't inherently wrong.

And even if Ronaldo knows he's innocent, his mere innocence isn't enough to go after der spiegel. He'd have to show that their reporting of the case was one sided and sensationalist and that they knowingly caused damage to his reputation when they should have known it was very unlikely Ronaldo would ever be convicted.

That's why most lawyers would prefer to get the rape charges to go away and then go after der spiegel (which they will do in that case, to rehabilitate Ronaldo's reputation).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
The thing is newspapers have every right to cover the news. If Ronaldo is sued for alleged rape, a newspaper can publish articles regarding this case. This isn't inherently wrong.

And even if Ronaldo knows he's innocent, his mere innocence isn't enough to go after der spiegel. He'd have to show that their reporting of the case was one sided and sensationalist and that they knowingly caused damage to his reputation when they should have known it was very unlikely Ronaldo would ever be convicted.

That's why most lawyers would prefer to get the rape charges to go away and then go after der spiegel (which they will do in that case, to rehabilitate Ronaldo's reputation).

Is he being sued?

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Cristiano Ronaldo ‘ready’ for police interrogation
12 October at 09:37
Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo is ready to be interrogated by the Police of Las Vegas over rape accusations by Kathryn Mayorga, a former American girl who has accused the former Real Madrid and Man Utd striker of sexual abuse in 2009.

According to Tuttosport, Ronaldo is ready to speak to the Police of Las Vegas with the interrogatory that is going to take place in a few weeks.

Ronaldo is likely to speak to the Police of Las Vegas in a video conference and according to the Italian paper, the striker is fully confident about the positive end of investigations.

Ronaldo is accused of raping the girl in Las Vegas in 2009. The Portuguese striker has never denied the sexual relationship with the former American model, although he claims the girl was consentient. Despite that, Ronaldo paid almost € 400.000 to the girl a few months after their sexual relationship while, Mrs. Mayorga, initially denounced to be raped failing to name Cristiano Ronaldo as her assaulter.

https://www.calciomercato.com/en/news/cristiano-ronaldo-ready-for-police-interrogation-93250

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007
Don't think they're going down, but they have to be careful going forward. My stance is that they have been incredibly one-sided in their reporting of this case, and if the 'evidence' they are sitting on proves to be worthless or easily refutable, then the reporting will have been very disproportionate. In such a scenario, I can see them getting in trouble. And I think that's what @Seven is saying too, I don't read him as saying that they will go down based on what we currently know, but that the potential for this to happen is there if it turns out they have created a shitstorm over nothing. But it's all hypothetical as of now.

Something which isn't so hypothetical, though, is the fact that days and days have gone by now without any new, damning evidence appearing against Ronaldo. It's the same good ol' story being rehashed over and over again - with some quotes from newspapers and lawyers sprinkled here and there. I'm loving it, and I'm not even close to being as worried as I was when the story first broke.

We'll obviously have to wait and see what comes out of the LVMPD investigation, but I doubt it's gonna be anything noteworthy. The evidence situation, to my understanding, is pretty much the same as back in 2009. In addition, we have the Football Leaks documents, which I expect will not be lended any credibility in a court of law. Retrieved by a hacker (a criminal) in a digital format, they are easy to manipulate and I expect that Christiansen can back up his claim that those documents have indeed been altered and are false. It would surprise me a lot if he just ran to the media and blurted that out without having something concrete.
so basically all the enthusiasm on tuz about "soyboy Winterbach gonna get fucked soon" is wishful thinking?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
so basically all the enthusiasm on tuz about "soyboy Winterbach gonna get fucked soon" is wishful thinking?
Winterbach personally doesn't run any real risk. But Der Spiegel did take a risk with their rather one sided approach. If Ronaldo wins his case against Mayorga, we will have to wait and see what his lawyers do with Der Spiegel. Personally I'd advise to go after them in an effort to rehabilitate his reputation. 'Soon' in lawyerspeak is two-three years btw.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Concluding at this point that Der Spiegel is "fucked", is (obviously) premature, yes. For them to be held accountable one would have to substantiate that they willingly went with a one-sided witch hunt type of story despite only having evidence they knew was questionable at best. They claim to have meticulously factchecked everything, but no one really knows for sure. So yes, as of now, it is way too early to conclude that Der Spiegel will be held accountable over this. I personally have never said that they are fucked, but I have pointed out that it's a risk they are running due to how they have been reporting on the matter.

As for the soyboy stuff, it's all in good fun.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Concluding at this point that Der Spiegel is "fucked", is (obviously) premature, yes. For them to be held accountable one would have to substantiate that they willingly went with a one-sided witch hunt type of story despite only having evidence they knew was questionable at best. They claim to have meticulously factchecked everything, but no one really knows for sure. So yes, as of now, it is way too early to conclude that Der Spiegel will be held accountable over this. I personally have never said that they are fucked, but I have pointed out that it's a risk they are running due to how they have been reporting on the matter.

I love that Der Spiegel is saying they checked everything meticulously and even had their legal department looking into the documents.

I understand where they're coming from, but at the same they're setting the bar that much higher for themselves in a future lawsuit from Ronaldo.

pitbull

Jul 26, 2007

don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging you or anyone specifically, it's just that both you and Seven have been giving off a vibe that Spiegel are in trouble since early in this case and many people have been running with this, so I just wanted to clear it up, thanks for responding in an honest and detailed way :tup:

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging you or anyone specifically, it's just that both you and Seven have been giving off a vibe that Spiegel are in trouble since early in this case and many people have been running with this, so I just wanted to clear it up, thanks for responding in an honest and detailed way :tup:
You're very welcome, and no problem whatsoever if you do decide to challenge what I write on this matter. It's a good thing :tup:

Just to be clear then: No, Der Spiegel cannot possibly be in trouble as of now. But it's not unthinkable that they could be down the line.

Also, on a more general note regarding my posting in this thread and where I stand:

I do hope for an outcome that benefits Ronaldo and Juve, so in this sense I am undoubtedly biased. That said, I hope I haven't given the impression that I have completely ruled out that he has done what he's accused of. I seriously doubt that he has, though, but I have no way of actually knowing.

There are primarily two points I have tried to let come across: I am highly critical of the 'evidence' that we know of so far, and I'm also critical of Der Spiegel's sensationalist reporting on the matter (based on that very same - in my view - shoddy evidence).

It's an exciting case, and it could really take any direction in the coming weeks. However, with each day that goes by without the emmerging of any new, damning evidence against Ronaldo, the more hopeful I am of a "positive" outcome. But for all we know we could be sitting here 2 weeks from now discussing the testimonies of 'the 5 other women who have come forward', or that Ronaldo has officially been charged with a criminal offence by the state of Nevada. I don't consider any of these as likely scenarios, though, but since I am not privy to all of the information which Stovall, Christiansen, Gestifute and the LVMPD has - it can't be ruled out.

In summary: Very positive about a good outcome for the GOAT and for us, but there's too much uncertainty still.

Lapa

FLY, EAGLES FLY
Sep 29, 2008
You're very welcome, and no problem whatsoever if you do decide to challenge what I write on this matter. It's a good thing :tup:

Just to be clear then: No, Der Spiegel cannot possibly be in trouble as of now. But it's not unthinkable that they could be down the line.

Also, on a more general note regarding my posting in this thread and where I stand:

I do hope for an outcome that benefits Ronaldo and Juve, so in this sense I am undoubtedly biased. That said, I hope I haven't given the impression that I have completely ruled out that he has done what he's accused of. I seriously doubt that he has, though, but I have no way of actually knowing.

There are primarily two points I have tried to let come across: I am highly critical of the 'evidence' that we know of so far, and I'm also critical of Der Spiegel's sensationalist reporting on the matter (based on that very same - in my view - shoddy evidence).

It's an exciting case, and it could really take any direction in the coming weeks. However, with each day that goes by without the emmerging of any new, damning evidence against Ronaldo, the more hopeful I am of a "positive" outcome. But for all we know we could be sitting here 2 weeks from now discussing the testimonies of 'the 5 other women who have come forward', or that Ronaldo has officially been charged with a criminal offence by the state of Nevada. I don't consider any of these as likely scenarios, though, but since I am not privy to all of the information which Stovall, Christiansen, Gestifute and the LVMPD has - it can't be ruled out.

In summary: Very positive about a good outcome for the GOAT and for us, but there's too much uncertainty still.
Do you believe in anal rape or just "normal" rape?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 44)