Cristiano Ronaldo (53 Viewers)

Jun 6, 2015
Because having 40% conversion rate and scoring +50 goals a season ain't going to happen at the pro level football.

It's like the save % in hockey, it doesn't really tell anything. You can stop 92% of the pucks while allowing 3 goals a game, but allowing 3 goals a game ain't going to win you more games than a guy who has 90% and allows 2 goals per game.
Unless you're Håland :p

As pointed out already both the amount of shots and the conversion rate matter. None of these scenarios of yours disprove that. 20 goal striker can turn in to a 10 goal striker if his conversion rate drops from 20% to 10%. Seems quite meaningful to me.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Unless you're Håland :p

As pointed out already both the amounts of shots and the conversion rate matter. None of these scenarios of yours disprove that. 20 goal striker can turn in to a 10 goal striker if his conversion rate drops from 20% to 10%. Seems quite meaningful to me.
Yes, it's always possible to go lower if you miss all the chances but you won't score from all the chances, so theoritically it wouldn't go up to 40 goals if the conversation rate went up to whatever would equal that. Today's game won't allow you to have +30% rates while being a profilic striker. The more Haaland gets noticed, the less space he has to work around the box and by that, his conversion rate goes down as long as he wants to keep scoring goals because he needs to take the shots from non-scoring positions.

Jun 6, 2015
Yes, it's always possible to go lower if you miss all the chances but you won't score from all the chances, so theoritically it wouldn't go up to 40 goals if the conversation rate went up to whatever would equal that. Today's game won't allow you to have +30% rates while being a profilic striker. The more Haaland gets noticed, the less space he has to work around the box and by that, his conversion rate goes down as long as he wants to keep scoring goals because he needs to take the shots from non-scoring positions.
Agree. I've mentioned multiple times that 15-20% is the realistic number for a profilic striker.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
I wonder who's the most clinical player ever. If I'd have to guess Id say Van Nistelrooy.
Speaking of Van Nistelrooy I'll never forget this goal, what a striker he was. He simply didn't win enough titles with United and Madrid when you think of how good he was. Should've won more on club basis.

Speaking of the best finishers, Roy Makaay and Luis Suarez are also good candidates imo.

Last edited:

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Speaking of Van Nistelrooy I'll never forget this goal, what a striker he was. He simply didn't win enough titles with United and Madrid when you think of how good he was. Should've won more on club basis.

Speaking of the best finishers, Roy Makaay and Luis Suarez are also good candidates imo.
Immobile scores goals like that every week.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
some weeks ago i read an article based on stats from the last 8-10 years, and ben yedder was on the top of the leaderboard in conversion rate, with cavani and aubameyang completing the top3. costa, messi, lewa, lacazette and icardi also made it to the top10.

i'd also say that both van nistelrooy and makaay must be on an all-time top10 list, they were deadly back in their days. my father used to say that gerd müller scored from most of his chances, he's a safe bet too. i watched a lot of vintage footie, both kocsis and puskás scored a lot without missing too much. but since detailed shooting stats are unavailable for the majority of football history, it's hard to pick anybody based on facts.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Yes, Trez and Inzaghi were great too.
Inzaghi for me stood out more for his ability to move the right way and always find himself in dangerous positions rather than converting everything he got. Trez was a real killer in that sense, could get one chance a game and still manage to almost always convert it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 33)