Cristiano Ronaldo (89 Viewers)

Jun 6, 2015
It doesn't actually, i just wanted to know the total goal tally for him. If it was 22% excluding NT, what it was in NT then?
Don't know as I don't know where to find such stats. Apparently stats people don't find national footie interesting enough.

Also that 22% is for Bundesliga. In CL it is 27% for Lewa.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I wonder if there is a stat for how far away you are from goal when you score stat. Lewa is the best clinical pure striker right now, but its rare to find a striker who only needs to be in 5 feet from goal and gets its the ball there at all times. Rarely need to create a shot for himself. Even if he is dynamic all around player as a striker.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I wonder if there is a stat for how far away you are from goal when you score stat. Lewa is the best clinical pure striker right now, but its rare to find a striker who only needs to be in 5 feet from goal and gets its the ball there at all times. Rarely need to create a shot for himself. Even if he is dynamic all around player as a striker.
i'm 99% sure that opta has this data as opta is able to follow games basically live, from pass to pass, with every players' position showing on the pitch (see sofascore's new feature), but i'm not sure whether someone published a similar stat. in whoscored/sofascore/squawka you can't get these stats as a regular end-user.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Don't know as I don't know where to find such stats. Apparently stats people don't find national footie interesting enough.

Also that 22% is for Bundesliga. In CL it is 27% for Lewa.
0.625 goals per game on NT and if conversion rate is higher than 22%, does it mean he's more clinical on NT while scoring less goals per game in there?

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
I don't know what his conversion rate for the NT is :boh:
Let's forget the %, just answer the question. If it's higher than 22% while scoring less goals per game, does it make him more clinical or not? Or, if it's less than 22% + less goals per game game, does it make Lewa "product of a system" type of a striker?

Jun 6, 2015
Haven't seen one, but you can use the understat shot map to get somewhat of an idea.

Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 15.30.48.png
Screenshot 2020-09-26 at 15.30.57.png

Niku

Jan 14, 2014
Very interesting numbers, showing great commitment and yet each individual performance is tied to the team.
I dont know if in some scenarios of the calcuiations they add this inclusive percentages.

Jun 6, 2015
Let's forget the %, just answer the question. If it's higher than 22% while scoring less goals per game, does it make him more clinical or not? Or, if it's less than 22% + less goals per game game, does it make Lewa "product of a system" type of a striker?
Obviously playing for a good team is beneficial for any striker/attacking player. I wouldn't get too caught on these Lewa numbers anyways. He had a career season last season and I'm not sure he can quite match those numbers going forward. However as I mentioned earlier usually the absolute top strikers have a conversion rate of around 15-20%.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Obviously playing for a good team is beneficial for any striker/attacking player. I wouldn't get too caught on these Lewa numbers anyways. He had a career season last season and I'm not sure he can quite match those numbers going forward. However as I mentioned earlier usually the absolute top strikers have a conversion rate of around 15-20%.
What are the top strikers then? The ones that are scoring most goals or the ones with highest conversion rate? If we take Ronaldo as an example, he has something like 700 goals during his career so he checks all the boxes for scoring the goals. You said he has 10% conversion rate, which means he isn't top striker of the game?

So, what does it mean?

Jun 6, 2015
What are the top strikers then? The ones that are scoring most goals or the ones with highest conversion rate? If we take Ronaldo as an example, he has something like 700 goals during his career so he checks all the boxes for scoring the goals. You said he has 10% conversion rate, which means he isn't top striker of the game?

So, what does it mean?
Ronaldo isn't your typical striker, he's still more of a winger that likes to move to central positions. When I talk about top strikers I mean players like Aguero, Suarez, Lewa, Kane and so on. Their conversion rate is usually somewhere around 15-20%. Ronaldo is an all time great goalscorer no one is trying to refute that. Better comparisons for Ronaldo would be players like Messi or Salah.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Ronaldo isn't your typical striker, he's still more of a winger that likes to move to central positions. When I talk about top strikers I mean players like Aguero, Suarez, Lewa, Kane and so on. Their conversion rate is usually somewhere around 15-20%. Ronaldo is an all time great goalscorer no one is trying to refute that. Better comparisons for Ronaldo would be players like Messi or Salah.
But his conversion rate isn't considered as a super clinical, but he's an all time goalscorer? So why we're bringing up conversion rate, when it has nothing to do with goalscoring?

Jun 6, 2015
But his conversion rate isn't considered as a super clinical, but he's an all time goalscorer? So why we're bringing up conversion rate, when it has nothing to do with goalscoring?
Of course it does have something to do with goalscoring. It tells how many shots one needs to take in order to score a goal.

Crazy how defensive one can get over these things.

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Of course it does have something to do with goalscoring. It tells how many shots one needs to take in order to score a goal.

Crazy how defensive one can get over these things.
No. If player A. has 40% conversion rate and shoots 2 times a game, he scores 0.8 goal per game. If player B. has 20% conversion rate and shoots 6 times a game, he scores 1.2 goals per game. After 10 games player A. has 8 goals, player B. has 12 goals. Let's say they both play 50 games, player A. has 40 goals and player B. has 60 goals.

If it has something to do with goalscoring, how player A. which is way more clinical, has 20 goals less over 50 game period?

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
I cant believe the arguments these days :)

- - - Updated - - -

No. If player A. has 40% conversion rate and shoots 2 times a game, he scores 0.8 goal per game. If player B. has 20% conversion rate and shoots 6 times a game, he scores 1.2 goals per game. After 10 games player A. has 8 goals, player B. has 12 goals. Let's say they both play 50 games, player A. has 40 goals and player B. has 60 goals.

If it has something to do with goalscoring, how player A. which is way more clinical, has 20 goals less over 50 game period?
Obviously conversion rate and shots per game are important for number of goals. You cant exclude either. Wtf is this Im reading.

Jun 6, 2015

Are these serious questions? I feel like you're being facetious at this point.

Obviously in this scenario of yours player B scores more goals because he takes more shots. Player A is the more clinical player between the two. If player A had the same conversion rate as player B he would score less goals. If player B would have the same conversion rate as player A he'd score more goals.

If it doesn't have anything to do with goalscoring how does it then affect the amount of goals these players score?

Pegi

Feb 22, 2019
Are these serious questions? I feel like you're being facetious at this point.

Obviously in this scenario of yours player B scores more goals because he takes more shots. Player A is the more clinical player between the two. If player A had the same conversion rate as player B he would score less goals. If player B would have the same conversion rate as player A he'd score more goals.

If it doesn't have anything to do with goalscoring how does it then affect the amount of goals these players score?
Because having 40% conversion rate and scoring +50 goals a season ain't going to happen at the pro level football.

It's like the save % in hockey, it doesn't really tell anything. You can stop 92% of the pucks while allowing 3 goals a game, but allowing 3 goals a game ain't going to win you more games than a guy who has 90% and allows 2 goals per game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 78)