Cristiano Ronaldo (163 Viewers)

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
Really? Two of my roommates back when I was doing my Erasmus in Bologna were Catalan, born and bred in Barcelona, big Barca fans and they definitely pronounced it with an s. Both spoke Catalan too by the way.
The original name contained the k sound, hence the theory that it was named after the carthaginian family, Barca. In antiquity it was referred to with the k sound, be it Greek or Latin.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
Yeah was called Barkeno in ancient times. But unlikely it had anything to do with Hamilcar, even if it's a cool myth.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Yeah was called Barkeno in ancient times. But unlikely it had anything to do with Hamilcar, even if it's a cool myth.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
From Wikipedia

The origin of the earliest settlement at the site of present-day Barcelona is unclear. The ruins of an early settlement have been found, including different tombs and dwellings dating to earlier than 5000 BC.[29][30] The founding of Barcelona is the subject of two different legends. The first attributes the founding of the city to the mythological Hercules. The second legend attributes the foundation of the city directly to the historical Carthaginian general, Hamilcar Barca, father of Hannibal, who supposedly named the city Barcino after his family in the 3rd century BC,[31] but there is no historical or linguistic evidence that this is true.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Probs trying to back off in hopes Ronaldo's lawyers won't gobble them up when it came to light the documents they had were possibly fake when they weren't signed with Ronaldo's legal name

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 135)