Cristiano Ronaldo (291 Viewers)

Albo

Apr 13, 2009
Comparing stats between generations is a waste of time.
Am i supposed to go and download all the matches and compare them ? Hell no

Why people are so against the stats i don't get , goal is goal , it doesn't matter the generation . You can't "fake pump" the stats , you have to be super quality to score each season 30+ goals , there is no way to fake it (unless the offside rule didn't exist)

According to Transfermarkt R9 scored only 14 goals whole his career in CHL , that's laughble , CR7 scored 15 goals in one season , and some people belive R9 was better :lol:

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
Maradona is famous because he won the world cup , as i already said i didn't watch him (i'm 30 y old) , but according to wikipedia he never scored more than 16 goals while playing in Europe .

Ofc people should focus on stats , numbers don't lie , there is no chance some average guy scored 30+ goals per season every year , CR7/Messi did that .

But people are nostalgic , whenever we talk about RB alot of guys think Caffu , but Dani Alves is way better than him .

And this doesn't have nothing to do with "old era" and "modern football" i mean everyone think Buffon/Casillas/Neuer are the best GKs ever , i've never seen somone telling me some random GK from 80-90s era was the best , only Lev Yashin was mentioned .
The way you are presenting your argument tells me you simply lack the knowledge on this subject or base your argument excessively on stats, which will naturally give a distorted view to this debate.

You didnt see maradona ? Ok,but do you think you are going to have an accurate view of his career by just reading his Wikipedia?

If you think Maradonas legacy solely relies on the world cup and that is the only thing that made him famous then Idk man, go to Argentina and speak like that and they will call you a comedian :lol:

Last edited:

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
The way you are presenting your argument tells me you simply lack the knowledge on this subject or base your argument excessively on stats, which will naturally give a distorted view to this debate.

You didnt see maradona ? Ok,but do you think you are going to have an accurate view of his career by just reading his Wikipedia?

If you think Maradonas legacy solely relies on the world cup and that is the only thing that made him famous then Idk man, go to Argentina and speak like that and they will call you a comedian :lol:
I remember telling people in Argentina i saw diego, the look on their face, it's like i seen jesus. The thing people don't realize is that the paradigm of personal stats and efficiency didn't always exist. Magic, artistry, fantasy, and above all the power to move millions. Diego inspired everywhere he went.

GiocataGrande

Commendatore
May 26, 2016
I remember telling people in Argentina i saw diego, the look on their face, it's like i seen jesus. The thing people don't realize is that the paradigm of personal stats and efficiency didn't always exist. Magic, artistry, fantasy, and above all the power to move millions. Diego inspired everywhere he went.
^pretty much everything you mentioned^ thats not even mentioning the impact he had on Napoli and the whole city there.

Also the World cup was the crown for Diegos career, but he was already considered the worlds undisputable best player at that time, not based on stats but the full range of his abilities and by basically being a "prototype" in comparison to other players at that time.
Dude was just way ahead in so many levels and on a different planet.

Players like Maradona, Ronaldinho, Zidane, R9, Pele etc were pioneers and revolutionary in so many ways and reducing a Goat debate to a pure stats contest is a lazy way of skipping past important factors like :

degree of difficulty, team strength, historical importance , positioning on the field (comparing goals scored between a striker and a midfielder for example is just stupid) influence, leadership capabilites, how complete the player is etc and the list goes on. There are a lot of things to consider.

Anyways, this debate is never going to end and will always be discussed, but saying "anything else but Ronaldo or Messi is Nostalgia" and basing that statement purely on a certain stat is ignorant imo

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
stats are meaningful and can't be ignored. as of now, cr is the undisputed king of cl, he won every major league he entered with his respective teams, won the cl with multiple teams, was the top scorer for 3 leagues, holds many individual records, won the cl 3 times in a row, the list is way too long. stats wise he's probably the best player of all time, and at least he's a good candidate for it. he's one of the best athletes to ever wear football boots, i think everyone can agree with that.

but as gordo said, everything can't be measured. maradona's influence was incredible. that '86-87 team wasn't anything special without him. look at this napoli team. only ferrara became a class player (in an other position lol), bagni and de napoli had many caps for italy, the others were totally forgettable players. like someone took sassuolo with locatelli, berardi and a bunch of nobodies and made them title contenders. only maradona could do that. i never liked his personality for obvious reasons, but on the pitch, he was simply magical.

napoli-scudetto-1987.jpg

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
^pretty much everything you mentioned^ thats not even mentioning the impact he had on Napoli and the whole city there.

Also the World cup was the crown for Diegos career, but he was already considered the worlds undisputable best player at that time, not based on stats but the full range of his abilities and by basically being a "prototype" in comparison to other players at that time.
Dude was just way ahead in so many levels and on a different planet.

Players like Maradona, Ronaldinho, Zidane, R9, Pele etc were pioneers and revolutionary in so many ways and reducing a Goat debate to a pure stats contest is a lazy way of skipping past important factors like :

degree of difficulty, team strength, historical importance , positioning on the field (comparing goals scored between a striker and a midfielder for example is just stupid) influence, leadership capabilites, how complete the player is etc and the list goes on. There are a lot of things to consider.

Anyways, this debate is never going to end and will always be discussed, but saying "anything else but Ronaldo or Messi is Nostalgia" and basing that statement purely on a certain stat is ignorant imo
Piel de gallina...

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
Maradona is famous because he won the world cup , as i already said i didn't watch him (i'm 30 y old) , but according to wikipedia he never scored more than 16 goals while playing in Europe .

Ofc people should focus on stats , numbers don't lie , there is no chance some average guy scored 30+ goals per season every year , CR7/Messi did that .

But people are nostalgic , whenever we talk about RB alot of guys think Caffu , but Dani Alves is way better than him .

And this doesn't have nothing to do with "old era" and "modern football" i mean everyone think Buffon/Casillas/Neuer are the best GKs ever , i've never seen somone telling me some random GK from 80-90s era was the best , only Lev Yashin was mentioned .
Would take Cafu over Alves any day. He won serie a with Roma and captained Brazil to World Cup in the process. What has Alves done outside Barcelona?

Its same thing like now people crying about Cancelo but he would be exposed in Turin cause Man city only care about his attacking qualities. Defensively Cancelo is rubbish.

Kahn and Smeichel in the 90s.

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Who cares about Maradona, honestly. Cr7 or Messi are the only two players worth mentioning in the Goat debate. Any choice between the two is basically a personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolute Nonsense!

- - - Updated - - -

Your ignorance is baffling.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
So you agree :lol:

Its ok. I like Zizou more than CR7, too. But thats not the debate here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's your truth. You are free to believe whatever you want. I strongly and vehemently disagree. I don't think Messi or CR7 are GOATS, but I definitely think they belong in the discussion, given their accomplishments.

Jäger

May 2, 2021
Nothing brings me more glee than watching the ronaldo fanboys and Manure supporters turn against each other now on social media. An increasing number of these fanboys are regretting that he left us. Tough, he should have thought better

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
Nothing brings me more glee than watching the ronaldo fanboys and Manure supporters turn against each other now on social media. An increasing number of these fanboys are regretting that he left us. Tough, he should have thought better
Nah, it's good that he forced the move. Huge relief for the club which was under pressure financially.

He was showing signs of slowing down anyway. The only thing that sucks is the fact he left so late, otherwise we'd start the season with Vlahovic perhaps.

Things are slowly but steadily improving for us. United on the other hand...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 273)