Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (40 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Great point about the fish consumption.

The performance thing is a ruse, though. Western society sells everyone the myth that you can control your longevity, health, relationships, etc., by taking micro-actions that you and only you can do. It's the myth that if I gulp 500mg of vitamin L every day, I will never get cancer. And there are businesses who prey on that, even if I cannot blame them. People have a foundational need to believe they are in control of everything.

In Covid-related terms, this is the individualistic version of what we see in governments that feel they have to do something to demonstrate and act as if in control, even when they are not. Many of us humans would rather do something to make themselves feel in control just for the illusion of it.

I have to like the Omicron branding in all that. Who does their marketing, btw?

Looking forward to the "Good King Omicron" Christmas carol they're gonna drop any day now.

Here's the crux of this challenge, though. Yes, if the vaccines work -- and they are only one element of what I feel needs to be a multi-prong strategy -- people who get Covid won't suffer as much. Great. But right now, our definition for getting into planes, let alone restaurants, is infection. Which is a whole other definition.

Because if this virus trajectory goes the way we want towards the endemic -- where it's relatively benign and commonplace -- the measures we take for infection are going to have to change. Because we don't prevent people coming into restaurants because they have the flu (which we probably should) or a basic sniffles and head-cold. If that's the standard, that won't make any sense as the virus becomes more harmless and ubiquitous.

We cannot be quarantining people for 10 days in hotels after coming down with a head cold every time they want to get on an airplane, especially as we desire the virus to spread with lower efficacy.
I don’t believe so at all. Vitamin D isn’t going to make everyone a top level athlete, or be the most important aspect to athletic performance obviously. But I’m not talking about western society there. Sufficient vitamin D levels were shown to be a huge marker for athletic performance in top level athletes in studies starting in the Soviet Bloc countries throughout the Cold War era when they dominated Olympic sport. Their state backed sport science and research was miles ahead of anything anyone else was doing at the time (so was their doping program - everyone was doping, they just treated like a science whereas everyone else just fucked around randomly). Vitamin D was shown to be absolutely essential for maximizing athletic performance in their studies. Not really something that’s hard to believe in my opinion.

It’s not a panacea, a cure all, or a replacement for hard work, but it does play a very essential role in top level sport performance. Whether this should matter to the general populace or not is a different question. And the question of people acting as snake oil salesmen around it is also a separate issue too. Or so I believe. I get your general point though, about how small singular things that should just be a small part of general overall health and performance, are marketed as these “most important for everything” panaceas.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Last edited:

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Great point about the fish consumption.

The performance thing is a ruse, though. Western society sells everyone the myth that you can control your longevity, health, relationships, etc., by taking micro-actions that you and only you can do. It's the myth that if I gulp 500mg of vitamin L every day, I will never get cancer. And there are businesses who prey on that, even if I cannot blame them. People have a foundational need to believe they are in control of everything.

In Covid-related terms, this is the individualistic version of what we see in governments that feel they have to do something to demonstrate and act as if in control, even when they are not. Many of us humans would rather do something to make themselves feel in control just for the illusion of it.
Vitamin D, not L. Generalization is an issue here. Unregulated supplement industry and majority of supplements are wack, but that's a level 1 discussion. It doesn't mean every single supplement is wack.

First time I've heard of cheap vitamin d being a cash cow money making machine. Would love to see those ads.

Vit D is extremely important. It literally plays a role in every cell in your body and is tied to all sorts of health markers and risks or reduction thereof. And as an aside, can make a big difference with covid. That's one of the things govts failed in.

You might wanna look more into this particular supplement. (And get tested for vitamin d levels. Use an intravascular test and not a blood from prick one. Latter aren't very accurate.)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Vitamin D, not L. Generalization is an issue here. Unregulated supplement industry and majority of supplements are wack, but that's a level 1 discussion. It doesn't mean every single supplement is wack.

First time I've heard of cheap vitamin d being a cash cow money making machine. Would love to see those ads.

Vit D is extremely important. It literally plays a role in every cell in your body and is tied to all sorts of health markers and risks or reduction thereof. And as an aside, can make a big difference with covid. That's one of the things govts failed on.

You might wanna look more into this particular supplement. (And get tested for vitamin d levels. Use an intravascular test and not a blood from prick one. Latter aren't very accurate.)
I think you may have missed the part where I mentioned that I've taken 500 IU of vitamin D3 with calcium daily for over a decade.

I originally took 1000 IU daily, but my doc told me to back up on that crack 7-8 years ago after a few blood tests. Talk about pricey urine ... and getting out of balance.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I say we mandate a body fat percentage of 20% or below, and fine all the selfish people who can't keep their weight in check

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/health/covid-fat-obesity.html
"The finding is particularly relevant to the United States, which has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world. Most American adults are overweight, and 42 percent have obesity. Black, Hispanic, Native American and Alaska Native people in the U.S. have higher obesity rates than white adults and Asian Americans; they have also been disproportionately affected by the pandemic, with death rates roughly double those of white Americans."

Wait i thought they said that was because of systemic racism

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I say we mandate a body fat percentage of 20% or below, and fine all the selfish people who can't keep their weight in check

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/08/health/covid-fat-obesity.html
We needed Covid for THAT??

"The finding is particularly relevant to the United States, which has one of the highest rates of obesity in the world. Most American adults are overweight, and 42 percent have obesity. Black, Hispanic, Native American and Alaska Native people in the U.S. have higher obesity rates than white adults and Asian Americans; they have also been disproportionately affected by the pandemic, with death rates roughly double those of white Americans."

Wait i thought they said that was because of systemic racism
Systemic fat racism, bro

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011
Thinking about getting myself tomorow the booster, just don't know if it is a good idea if the vaccine doesn't kill me maybe our performance against Venezia will. The combination could be really dangerous
If you look anything like the guy in your ava, you probably have bigger health concerns than a vaccine.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm down with mandating chicks to keep their body fat below 18%

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)