Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (33 Viewers)

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Especially Florida.

I might start worrying when I see my peers getting sick and dying but fortunately that hasn't happened yet.

I'm curious what other Tuzzers' experiences have been. Do you guys know a lot of people who have got the cov badly or died?
Off the top of my head:
Mild illness/no symptoms: 4 people
- mid 70s (with cancer)
- 30 and 18 year olds with no underlying health issues.
- Late 40s, firefighter with no symptoms other than loss of taste and smell, however persistent issues with inflammation or circulation in the legs afterwards. All unvaccinated, as this was before there were vaccines and therefore major variants as well.

Moderate illness: 2 people
- 30 year old nurse (maybe in part due to more exposure?) with no underlying health issues. Flu-like symptoms, before vaccinations and early into the pandemic.
- 30 year old with no underlying health issues, flu-like symptoms and persisting weakness/tiredness in the legs afterwards, he will not be getting vaccinated.

Severe illness: 3 people
- 30-35 year old with no underlying health issues, was sick for almost a month. Fever, vomiting, coughing, etc.
- Mid 50s, active lifter with no underlying health issues, was very sick for 2-3 weeks, lost a good amount of weight because of it.
- Late 70s, had to be briefly hospitalized and put on oxygen. All were before vaccinations.

Fatal: 2 people
- mid 70s with multiple health issues, early into the pandemic before vaccinations.
- Just two weeks ago another relative passed away as well, in his mid 50s with, from what I understand, no underlying health issues other than perhaps a little extra weight. Former Marine, so I would assume he was still in ok shape. Him and his whole family are supposedly vaccinated, my Aunt thinks that's a lie but my Mom says there is no way that he was not vaccinated. I've never met him, so I cannot say, but I do know he was a big Trump supporter so take from that what you will.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Off the top of my head:
Mild illness/no symptoms: 4 people - mid 70s (with cancer), 30 and 18 year olds with no underlying health issues. Late 40s, firefighter with no symptoms other than loss of taste and smell, however persistent issues with inflammation or circulation in the legs afterwards. All unvaccinated, as this was before there were vaccines and therefore major variants as well.

Moderate illness: 2 people - 30 year old nurse (maybe in part due to more exposure?) with no underlying health issues. Flu-like symptoms, before vaccinations and early into the pandemic. 30 year old with no underlying health issues, flu-like symptoms and persisting weakness/tiredness in the legs afterwards, he will not be getting vaccinated.

Severe illness: 3 people - 30-35 year old with no underlying health issues, was sick for almost a month. Fever, vomiting, coughing, etc. Mid 50s, active lifter with no underlying health issues, was very sick for 2-3 weeks, lost a good amount of weight because of it. Late 70s, had to be briefly hospitalized and put on oxygen. All were before vaccinations.

Fatal: 2 people - mid 70s with multiple health issues, early into the pandemic before vaccinations. Just two weeks ago another relative passed away as well, in his mid 50s with, from what I understand, no underlying health issues other than perhaps a little extra weight. Former Marine, so I would assume he was still in ok shape. Him and his whole family are supposedly vaccinated, my Aunt thinks that's a lie but my Mom says there is no way that he was not vaccinated. I've never met him, so I cannot say, but I do know he was a big Trump supporter so take from that what you will.
Damn, that's a lot.

Maybe there is something to this viral load idea i.e. how much of the virus you are exposed to one time could impact how severe your infection is.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Damn, that's a lot.

Maybe there is something to this viral load idea i.e. how much of the virus you are exposed to one time could impact how severe your infection is.
This is just the people I know personally, it took out many people my Grandparents knew. How March and April were here, I hope no one should experience that again.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

So they don't stop transmission and there's a good chance you will end up in the hospital.
Deceiving stats though. 40m people have been double vaccinated, about 10m people are aged 0-14 (under 12s cannot be vaccinated) in this country, and the majority are unlikely to have been vaccinated. The UK population total is about 65m. Officially 75% of adults have been double-vaccinated, and hospital admissions are overwhelmingly adults: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...insights/hospitals#hospital-admissions-by-age That 55% of unvaccinated people in hospital are maybe 25% of the population, and that is a top-end figure.

More kids are getting infected, and hospital admissions in comparison to January numbers are high because they are far less likely to be vaccinated. Older people are still dying more frequently than them, it would most likely still be the case for vaccinated >80 against unvaccinated <14, for obvious health reasons.

Does seem like the Delta variant is more transmissible than any of the earlier variants, but I think that has been considered at an early stage.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
It's Darwin's theory at work. Why should the weaklings of society artificially jack up the pandemic numbers for the rest of us, giving liberals the excuse to muzzle true, freedom-loving patriots?
Maybe you misunderstood me.

First of all, I'm not American so don't try to project your liberal/conservative dichotomy onto me.

When I said I would start worrying if my peers started getting sick, I meant I would be worried about catching the virus myself. Not to say that I don't care about older, vulnerable people dying :shifty:

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
Yeah, a young woman in her late 20s, 10 years younger than I am, died of bilateral pneumonia caused by covid. She had an underlying condition, though, so she doesn't count ... I mean fuck those people, who just jack up the numbers for the rest of us who actually matter ...

Other than that, 4-5 people my age (late 30s) - some of them former HS classmates with no underlying conditions, got their asses kicked by covid. Two of them ended up in a hospital and barely made it out. Only time will tell the extent of any long-term damage, if at all.

There are also a couple of family friends in their late 60s, who didn't make it but they don't count, so no problem there ...
Why the fuck are Americans dying like flies from this shit? I know like a dozen of 60+ year olds on medication for countless diseases in their entire bodies who brushed this off. My great aunt who has been battling lymphoma for three years, taking in cycle after cycle of chemo and radiotherapy defeated covid. My uncle has had pneumonia like 5 times in the last 10 years, defeated covid

Fix your fucking nutrition or polution or whatever, stop weakening your body's immune defences with pill culture or else don't complain if you are getting Darwin'd.

Your post reads like: My friends homo erectus and neanderthalensis also didn't make it but they don't count, so no problem there...

PS: Avoiding the vac is not the hill I want to die on so if there are too many restrictions for my comfort I'll take it but for now and for covid alone it's not worth it.

Last edited:

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
Why the fuck are Americans dying like flies from this shit? I know like a dozen of 60+ year olds on medication for countless diseases in their entire bodies who brushed this off. My great aunt who has been battling lymphoma for three years, taking in cycle after cycle of chemo and radiotherapy defeated covid. My uncle has had pneumonia like 5 times in the last 10 years, defeated covid

Fix your fucking nutrition or pollution or whatever or else don't complain if you are getting Darwin'd

Your post reads like: My friends homo erectus and neanderthalensis also didn't make it but they don't count, so no problem there...
- Obesity
- Lack of exercise
- Nutrition
- Medical care costs are obscene if you don't have good insurance, and sometimes even if you do. This goes beyond just specifically COVID, as people live with undiagnosed or untreated healthcare issues. For example, my brother had a tooth infection, but his insurance will not cover it because he got work done on it before and they don't cover "rework." "You did nothing wrong and the dentist fucked up? lol Fuck you, $2,000 or live with pain. We will continue to collect money from your paychecks though, have a nice day."

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

Fix your fucking nutrition or polution or whatever or else don't complain if you are getting Darwin'd

PS: Avoiding the vac is not the hill I want to die on so if there are too many restrictions for my comfort I'll take it but for now and for covid alone it's not worth it.
Why does Germany have 1100 dead/million? I thought you Germans had the best hospitals and were healthy, fit, robust machines. But you have 400 dead/million more than us Canadians who are basically like slightly less obese, slightly more healthy ‘muricans. Get your shit sorted. Kick out all those unhealthy immigrants or something.

Siamak

╭∩╮( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)╭∩╮
Aug 13, 2013
i'll get my first dose of AstraZeneca next week. i concern about blood clotting. not sure yet as not many people have received it yet.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
- Obesity
- Lack of exercise
- Nutrition
- Medical care costs are obscene if you don't have good insurance, and sometimes even if you do. This goes beyond just specifically COVID, as people live with undiagnosed or untreated healthcare issues. For example, my brother had a tooth infection, but his insurance will not cover it because he got work done on it before and they don't cover "rework." "You did nothing wrong and the dentist fucked up? lol Fuck you, $2,000 or live with pain. We will continue to collect money from your paychecks though, have a nice day."
I had to go to the ER a couple summers ago after a long trail race. Was very badly dehydrated and ended up getting some tests and a couple bags of saline. On recommendation of the race doctor and my physician. Cost me $4500 out of pocket after my insurance was like “we will pay nada”.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

Fix your fucking nutrition or polution or whatever or else don't complain if you are getting Darwin'd

That’s the price of freedom baby!

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I had to go to the ER a couple summers ago after a long trail race. Was very badly dehydrated and ended up getting some tests and a couple bags of saline. On recommendation of the race doctor and my physician. Cost me $4500 out of pocket after my insurance was like “we will pay nada”.
Isn't it like $500 just for the saline itself in the US? Something which costs a couple of dollars to produce, and a couple more to buy? It's daylight robbery.

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
i'll get my first dose of AstraZeneca next week. i concern about blood clotting. not sure yet as not many people have received it yet.
Don’t worry; should be fine.

- Obesity
- Lack of exercise
- Nutrition
Totally agree with the health care system in the US. It sucks big time.
IMHO, the insurance companies are evil. The way they deny treatment is criminal.
$1300-2000 per month premiums with a $3000-10000 deductible and you still don’t get your treatment partially or even fully covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Not that the government is any better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)