Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (107 Viewers)

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
hungary ordered 25m vaccines, 1,5m was delivered. first batch arrived 2 months ago, but only 152k people got both doses to date.

sad.

1613749388-temp-chnogj-20210219-2160-0-90-cr.jpg
People dont want it or "government is not competent"? I bet many countries have it but simply dont want to force it, yet people think its logistics or bad supply management.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
People dont want it or "government is not competent"? I bet many countries have it but simply dont want to force it, yet people think its logistics or bad supply management.
And it is just that in large parts of europe.

We have so many corona vaccination centers set up to vaccinate 1000's a day, but since we don't have enough, they only vaccinate like 150 people.

- - - Updated - - -

Also :touched:

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/biontech-pfizer-impfstoff-preis-eu-1.5210652

Biontech originally asked for 54.08 euros for one dose of their vaccine.

"Pfizer/Biontech declared at the beginning of the negotiations that they had made the EU a particularly favorable offer...For a prize the medical association's head of medicine considered "dubious". Especially since Biontech also benefited from government subsidies.

In mid-June of last year, Biontech boss Ugur Sahin assured that no pharmaceutical company would "earn a golden nose" with the corona vaccine. A few days later, the EU Commission received a strictly confidential offer on behalf of Pfizer and Biontech. It explains verbosely how serious the economic damage caused by the pandemic is, with the EU costing 3.8 billion euros every day and a full 1.4 trillion euros over the year. Only a vaccine is the way out of this emergency.

Pfizer / Biontech then argued the way pharmaceutical companies have justified their prices for years: According to this logic, the decisive factor is not how much one has spent on research and development, but how great the medical benefit of a new preparation is. According to that the price has to be measured.

In the offer submitted to the EU it goes on to say: If the billions and billions of damage caused by the pandemic were transferred to a "traditional cost-effectiveness model", one would come to a price for a dose of vaccine that "would be inappropriate during a global pandemic".

After this, Pfizer/Biontech made an apparently generous offer: The two companies offered the EU their vaccine at a price of 54.08 euros per dose, with a purchase of 500 million doses. In total, Pfizer/Biontech wanted 27 billion euros for so much vaccine, that about half of the EU population could be vaccinated.

Pfizer/Biontech insured that the price already included "the highest percentage discount" that was offered to an industrialized country worldwide.

At 54.08 euros, the Biontech vaccine would be more than twenty times as expensive as a dose of the vaccine that Astra Zeneca developed together with Oxford University. "I think the price is dubious", criticized the chairman of the drug commission of the German medical profession, Wolf Dieter Ludwig, the offer from Pfizer/Biontech. "I see it as a pursuit of profit that is in no way justified in the current situation of the pandemic."

These high asking prices may also shed new light on the reluctance of some EU countries towards the Biontech vaccine in the summer. Some of the member states not only questioned the effectiveness of the new mRNA technology and did not want to grant vaccine manufacturers a far-reaching waiver of liability - they also demanded lower prices. In any case, Wolf-Dieter Ludwig says that he understands the EU: "I think it was right to hesitate at such a high price."

In an interview with Der Spiegel at the beginning of the year, Biontech boss Ugur Sahin criticized the negotiations with the EU: "The process in Europe was certainly not as quick and straightforward as with other countries," said the company boss. "Obviously the impression prevailed: We'll get enough, it won't be so bad, and we have it under control.

Sahin left a request for a conversation about the high price offer unanswered this week. A company spokeswoman did not answer specific questions about the offer, but pointed out that the price of the vaccine "depends on various factors". It lies "within a certain range for all countries with higher incomes". So far, however, the company has not made any profits. But if you make profits from the sale of the Covid-19 vaccine, you want to "reinvest it in the further development of this technology".

The pharmaceutical company Pfizer said: "Our discussions with governments and all subsequent agreements are confidential." Incidentally, you should contact the Biontech press office. A spokesman for the EU Commission announced by e-mail that the EU Commission was not allowed to provide information about prices for contractual reasons. In general, however, "the conclusion of a contract with all companies had to lead to a mutually satisfactory contract". The actual price was agreed with Biontech in the summer.

It wasn't until November that the EU signed a contract with Pfizer / Biontech. The final price has been kept secret until today, but according to information from Süddeutscher Zeitung, NDR and WDR it should be 15.50 euros per dose. The Reuters news agency was the first to name this award. The EU would have achieved a significant price reduction compared to the offer in June. The US also pays roughly the same. They had already signed a contract with Pfizer in July that secured them 100 million doses for $ 1.95 billion. Converted, that works out to around 16 euros per dose
."

I'm like super surprised lol.

Last edited:

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
we can only the the vaccine after registration. now, there are more than 2m people who already registered, so the willingness to get it is certainly there, whether the government forces it or not. first, the healthcare personnel was supposed to get it, but many either refused it or simply weren't available due to work (not all hospitals were prepared to store the vaccines, so even some nurses and doctors should have travelled in order to get vaccinated), and there were even people who were scheduled to get it, but somehow didn't show up. in these cases, the vaccination centre personnel is just trying to find someone who they can vaccinate, because otherwise they should throw out the unused vaccines. our mayor was vaccinated this way: he wasn't on the daily schedule, there were some leftover doses, he got one offered which he accepted, then it was turned into a political campaign despite him being in the risk group like many others who got the leftovers lol. then some people also realized that they might get the vaccine just by walking in a random vaccination centre and lying that they worked in healthcare, lol again. so the vaccination centres became more cautious, and that slowed down the process too. also, they didn't start vaccinating the 2nd group (75/80 or older) until the healthcare workers group wasn't finished, while they could have already started vaccinating the 2nd group weeks before they actually did. an other bummer. the vaccination centres aren't all ready, half of the people (including me) didn't even get a confirmation of the registration, the rollout isn't completely transparent after the 2nd priority group, etc.

tl;dr: it's a mess.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Both my parents (65) had AZ last week, fever and headaches for a couple of days and some discomfort in the arm for a while longer. Basically the equivalent symptoms many get with the flu jab.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
This has to be some sick fucking joke. We can't ease the measures for the coming months because of the British variant and meanwhile in friggin Britain (where this mess started) they have announced going back to normal on the 21st of June. Explain to me @JuveJay why your country shows 0 solidarity with the rest of the world?

Last edited:

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
This has to be some sick fucking joke. We can't ease the measures for the coming months because of the British variant and meanwhile in friggin Britain (where this mess started) they have announced going back to normal on the 21st of June. Explain to me @JuveJay why your country shows 0 solidarity with the rest of the world?
I guess they go back to normal because they took vaccines and will go ahead with the life. As for the date imo that's just wild guesses and it always changes.

We have close to zero measures but our numbers are getting higher at this point while weather is getting better and better. I expect them add some measures sadly as I don't see this shit stopping.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I guess they go back to normal because they took vaccines and will go ahead with the life. As for the date imo that's just wild guesses and it always changes.

We have close to zero measures but our numbers are getting higher at this point while weather is getting better and better. I expect them add some measures sadly as I don't see this shit stopping.
I also fear we won't ever have a Covid-19 free world anytime soon. The sooner we accept this, the sooner we can go further with some sort of freedom. The richer countries will have vaccines available and build some herd immunity but we're always a few bad mutations away (or a Chinese stuffing another Pangolin for Thanksgiving) from another shitshow

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I'm not so sure about that. Now that we have demonstrated working mRNA vaccines, I think this changes things quite a bit. Maybe another wave of vaccines will need to be administered in the future, but I think for the most part there will be a return to mostly normalcy.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
We just need to flatten the curve. Calma

I also fear we won't ever have a Covid-19 free world anytime soon. The sooner we accept this, the sooner we can go further with some sort of freedom. The richer countries will have vaccines available and build some herd immunity but we're always a few bad mutations away (or a Chinese stuffing another Pangolin for Thanksgiving) from another shitshow
According to Lord Gates, the US should be somewhat normal by fall. According to Fauci, by 2022. So my best guess is 2023.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
The UK is playing a game of chicken with a virus.

Avian flu is next.

Yup:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...st-vaccinated-economy-faces-a-tough-reopening

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 89)