Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (50 Viewers)

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Students will not be forced to attend the classes face to face as far as I know (at least in universities). Some schools went fully online, some made it hybrid. The latter polled the students to see whether they want to be in class. The majority (in some cases +70%) said yes. Those who want to be in class will have to wear a mask the whole class time (1 hour), listening to someone who is also wearing a mask. There are designated areas where professors can walk during the class without violating the social distancing mandates (like 5 steps to the left of the podium in our case lol). In some cases, the classroom cannot accommodate all the students who have chosen to be in class (because now students need to sit far apart). In these situations, the students will be divided into two or more groups and only one at a time can attend the face to face sessions. It's a mess. My classes will start in three weeks and I'm looking forward to knowing which of us in class will get the virus first before we go back to fully online :D

Buy on AliExpress.com

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Students will not be forced to attend the classes face to face as far as I know (at least in universities). Some schools went fully online, some made it hybrid. The latter polled the students to see whether they want to be in class. The majority (in some cases +70%) said yes. Those who want to be in class will have to wear a mask the whole class time (1 hour), listening to someone who is also wearing a mask. There are designated areas where professors can walk during the class without violating the social distancing mandates. In some cases, the classroom cannot accommodate all the students who have chosen to be in class (because now students need to sit far apart). In these situations, the students will be divided into two or more groups and only one at a time can attend the face to face sessions. It's a mess. My classes will start in three weeks and I'm looking forward to knowing which of us in class will get the virus first before we go back to fully online :D
I’m taking two classes next semester. One is fully online and the other one is online most of the time but three times all semester we have to go in. The weird thing is that we are scheduled to meet from 8am to 5pm on a Saturday all three times we have to go in

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I’m taking two classes next semester. One is fully online and the other one is online most of the time but three times all semester we have to go in. The weird thing is that we are scheduled to meet from 8am to 5pm on a Saturday all three times we have to go in
Yeah I know some graduate-level classes or those involving lab work are like that. But they strictly told us that even if we meet face to face only once during the semester, students can choose to stay home and access the class online.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Students will not be forced to attend the classes face to face as far as I know (at least in universities). Some schools went fully online, some made it hybrid. The latter polled the students to see whether they want to be in class. The majority (in some cases +70%) said yes. Those who want to be in class will have to wear a mask the whole class time (1 hour), listening to someone who is also wearing a mask. There are designated areas where professors can walk during the class without violating the social distancing mandates (like 5 steps to the left of the podium in our case lol). In some cases, the classroom cannot accommodate all the students who have chosen to be in class (because now students need to sit far apart). In these situations, the students will be divided into two or more groups and only one at a time can attend the face to face sessions. It's a mess. My classes will start in three weeks and I'm looking forward to knowing which of us in class will get the virus first before we go back to fully online :D
You’re talking about your school in NYC right? It’s not the same everywhere. My brother is a prof in a university in Florida and their classes started from today. For some classes they have the option to teach online but for labs they gotta go to the classroom.
Speaking of universities, this is crazy

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/cor...f-it-being-highly-effective-is-not-great.html

So Fauci is saying there's no returning to normal as long we don't have a vaccine yet he acknowledges that a vaccine will not be highly effective nor sustainable considering Coronaviruses mutate over time meaning we need to come up with a new vaccine or a booster every time (and get it right in advance, which if you look at the flu vaccines aren't always the case). The FDA even says 50% effectiveness is acceptable enough.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
You’re talking about your school in NYC right? It’s not the same everywhere. My brother is a prof in a university in Florida and their classes started from today. For some classes they have the option to teach online but for labs they gotta go to the classroom.
Speaking of universities, this is crazy
Perks of being in a business school :grin:

Though many MBA classes will be face to face even at Ivy schools that can afford to go completely virtual.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/07/cor...f-it-being-highly-effective-is-not-great.html

So Fauci is saying there's no returning to normal as long we don't have a vaccine yet he acknowledges that a vaccine will not be highly effective nor sustainable considering Coronaviruses mutate over time meaning we need to come up with a new vaccine or a booster every time (and get it right in advance, which if you look at the flu vaccines aren't always the case). The FDA even says 50% effectiveness is acceptable enough.
Yeah, acceptable that the country would be in a permanent state of a killer flu season.

It's such a Hail Mary pass, really. No Plan A, just a desperation gamble that a vaccine works, somehow makes it to everybody, somehow is effective in most everybody, somehow works long enough in people to have antibodies that remain relevant for any length of time, and that all of this just goes away.

This is like the rationalization of a juventino after Depay's penalty yesterday.

No Plan C or D. No backups. No strategy for better and faster testing combined with tracing technologies and more effective recovery drugs other than chloroquinine.

Really, the US public health response is just sitting around waiting for a miracle.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Yeah, acceptable that the country would be in a permanent state of a killer flu season.

It's such a Hail Mary pass, really. No Plan A, just a desperation gamble that a vaccine works, somehow makes it to everybody, somehow is effective in most everybody, somehow works long enough in people to have antibodies that remain relevant for any length of time, and that all of this just goes away.

This is like the rationalization of a juventino after Depay's penalty yesterday.

No Plan C or D. No backups. No strategy for better and faster testing combined with tracing technologies and more effective recovery drugs other than chloroquinine.

Really, the US public health response is just sitting around waiting for a miracle.
What would a plan A look like? How do you manage this really?

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

yeah, its a sad state of affairs.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
What would a plan A look like? How do you manage this really?
It's not rocket science. Granted, Americans are so individualistic that they will find any way possible to f-up any plans. But it's not outlandish to look towards the countries that are managing this well. Much of Asia has done well -- but that's a reflection of its societal cohesion but also its recent experience with pandemics. Americans still act like this has never happened before in human history.

One major problem I see with the US is that every other state, every other city, has its own rules and guidelines of what to open, what to close, and what to do and not do. There's so much conflicting information out there and a lack of a national plan or strategy that it appears most citizens don't trust any information they're getting.

Sadly, Sharpiegate established a precedent for scientific office suckups to the president's deranged rantings. That went from NOAA to the CDC and science is so discredited in the government and the media, the nation is left with pitches from cranks and YouTube videos for people to get their advice. Without any grounding in science, the US is flying blind.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
It's not rocket science. Granted, Americans are so individualistic that they will find any way possible to f-up any plans. But it's not outlandish to look towards the countries that are managing this well. Much of Asia has done well -- but that's a reflection of its societal cohesion but also its recent experience with pandemics. Americans still act like this has never happened before in human history.

One major problem I see with the US is that every other state, every other city, has its own rules and guidelines of what to open, what to close, and what to do and not do. There's so much conflicting information out there and a lack of a national plan or strategy that it appears most citizens don't trust any information they're getting.

Sadly, Sharpiegate established a precedent for scientific office suckups to the president's deranged rantings. That went from NOAA to the CDC and science is so discredited in the government and the media, the nation is left with pitches from cranks and YouTube videos for people to get their advice. Without any grounding in science, the US is flying blind.
Agree with everything here especially lack of federal policy, and science being discredited. But I still think vaccine is the ultimate solution. You certainly can manage better though.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Agree with everything here especially lack of federal policy, and science being discredited. But I still think vaccine is the ultimate solution. You certainly can manage better though.
I think you're putting all eggs into one basket when humanity has never been able to create a working vaccine for a coronavirus before (there are 7 human types). Heck, we've never been able to make a working HIV vaccine in 35 years. Hence the Hail Mary pass comparison.

As things go, I see the US fluxing with major breakouts like this over the next two years. Ain't nothing on the horizon I see is going to stop it. Nobody is willing to shut things down again so you can at least get it under control and apply real tracking and tracing that doesn't have to scale to 50,000 new cases a day. Then throw on when the regular seasonal flu hits... this is going to linger a long time.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
the us reaction to the pandemic has been laughable especially with our resources and accessibility to science. 250,000 people are at sturgis, south dakota right now, no masks required. insanity

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I think you're putting all eggs into one basket when humanity has never been able to create a working vaccine for a coronavirus before (there are 7 human types). Heck, we've never been able to make a working HIV vaccine in 35 years. Hence the Hail Mary pass comparison.

As things go, I see the US fluxing with major breakouts like this over the next two years. Ain't nothing on the horizon I see is going to stop it. Nobody is willing to shut things down again so you can at least get it under control and apply real tracking and tracing that doesn't have to scale to 50,000 new cases a day. Then throw on when the regular seasonal flu hits... this is going to linger a long time.
My point is besides vaccine there’s no real solution besides occasional lockdowns and push for masks, etc. The importance of vaccine is due the fact that none of the other solutions are going to solve this long term. Vaccine is the only real basket we have.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
My point is besides vaccine there’s no real solution besides occasional lockdowns and push for masks, etc. The importance of vaccine is due the fact that none of the other solutions are going to solve this long term. Vaccine is the only real basket we have.
that's very true and if it doesn't work, we are screwed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 48)