Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (12 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
that’s a pretty bad article was it translated to English? Quite odd with the use of tense

I think in any case all avenues should be tried when it comes to fighting covid19. Obviously in the case of the policemen, it’s some combination of ppe, safety protocols and hcq that seems to be working. However, this wasn’t an actual study like they did with the VA. But still promising

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Trump learned from the best.

San Francisco reported only 36 deaths of COVID-19 comparing to NYC’s 15k+. Although their population is much lower even proportionally this doesn’t make sense. Leadership here gets all the praise yet numbers show they fucked up massively.
It's all about timing. When New Rochelle caught fire, NYC was clearly ready to burn. They lost two weeks. And as we've seen in multiple research studies on epidemiological models, two weeks would have cut deaths by 90% if acted upon.

All models are wrong, of course. But some are useful.

thats cause coronavirus is nothing compared to what a Bay Area immune system is exposed to on daily basis.
As a friend once told me, "I don't need a flu shot. I ride Muni."

Today is my first day back at work and honestly I feel very refreshed.
Congrats!

Banana republic
That's totally Goodhart's Law. Massage the numbers to tell the story you want them to tell.

At some point, very soon, this has to switch to a situation where only the most at risk folks continue to quarantine and the rest of us resume normal functions no?

Maybe no concerts or other unnecessary large events but the current situation is unsustainable and it doesn't seem necessary for most of the population. There is no way the situation remains as is for another 18 months or how long it takes to perfect a vaccine
You can't really segment at-risk folks from those less at risk -- unless you plan to break up tens of millions of families and set up internment camps to house millions of people.

Texas is reopened. Today I saw a friend’s photo on Facebook dining in a restaurant. Florida, I think, is open too. It won’t be “normal” normal, since you’ll see masks and all that but restrictions will ease soon.
We're open here. I had a pretty awesome ham and cheese on toast and a SuperBock out at a kiosk while overlooking the river. First time dining out in over two months.

9 or 0? Out of 5000? That variance is 0.2%. There's no way you have a power or test sensitivity with a 0.2% minimum detectable effect with only a 5000 sample size. That's as good as random noise.
That is pretty damn funny, even if it's statistically irrelevant.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
You can't really segment at-risk folks from those less at risk -- unless you plan to break up tens of millions of families and set up internment camps to house millions of people.

It sounds more practical than shutting down half the economy multiple times over the next 18 months.

Just get them some Travolta esque bubbles.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It sounds more practical than shutting down half the economy multiple times over the next 18 months.

I think that's a false choice though. Either everybody gets sick at once with mass death and blowing up the health care system, or everybody has to be jerked through regular quarantining like prisoners with long prison yard breaks. That's kind of like trying to drive through city traffic with only a JATO unit and a brake pad.

The only way to get smarter with these segmentations is through lots of testing, tracking, and tracing of some kind. There are a lot of privacy concerns in doing so, but really at some level if it's all left as voluntary we are back to scenario #1.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005

neither are good options

Best option is to lock down individuals with symptoms or who come into contact with people with symptoms

it will be up to individuals to decide whether or not they’re at risk

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
neither are good options

Best option is to lock down individuals with symptoms or who come into contact with people with symptoms

it will be up to individuals to decide whether or not they’re at risk
does chasing the symptoms work if the virus has such a long incubation period? You could be 1-2 weeks behind a very contagious virus

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
I read this article which is focused on travel ban.
Countrise like Spain, Italy, Uk and some others will ask those who travel to these countries for self quarantine for 14 days. Why dont they test these people on arrival and give them results whether they are positive or negative in few hours.

Most developed countrise wont resume international travel before June 14.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/when-will-we-be-able-to-travel-to-europe

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
I read this article which is focused on travel ban.
Countrise like Spain, Italy, Uk and some others will ask those who travel to these countries for self quarantine for 14 days. Why dont they test these people on arrival and give them results whether they are positive or negative in few hours.

Most developed countrise wont resume international travel before June 14.

https://www.afar.com/magazine/when-will-we-be-able-to-travel-to-europe
Could be that when you arrive you have it inside you, but it hasn't been long enough where the virus would be detectable I guess.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
In summary, this multinational, observational, real-world study of patients with COVID-19 requiring hospitalisation found that the use of a regimen containing hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine (with or without a macrolide) was associated with no evidence of benefit
The discussion is if we should use hydroxychloroquine + zinc as a precaution, not when hospitalized. In severe condition blood thinners are suggested as a far better option.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I was watching the questions with Matt Hancock (UK Health SOS) last night, they do a segment where members of the public video call in and Hancock and the medical professionals have no idea what questions are going to be asked, none of it is prepared or scripted. So eventually the host announces, "we now go to...Robbie Savage". He had questions about sportspeople and grassroots football.

You couldn't make it up.

0_Savage.png

BTW I'd love a segment in the US where Trump goes live on Fox News and answers random questions from the general public.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The discussion is if we should use hydroxychloroquine + zinc as a precaution, not when hospitalized. In severe condition blood thinners are suggested as a far better option.
The first studies to actually test it’s effect as a prophylactic are only being done now. Until we actually have data showing that it can “prevent” coronavirus, no one should be taking it, especially in combination with Az which is much more dangerous for heart issue side effects. QT prolongation is a big issue when you add Az to the mix (where HCl is mostly safe alone, but possibly less effective). https://elemental.medium.com/is-the...chloroquine-can-prevent-covid-19-d59b61bfc763

And don’t bring up that utterly nonsensical Indian police report. India is a third world, corrupt, propaganda nation that is the world’s largest manufacturer of HCl. The very definition of biased. As bad as anything coming out of China. Not to mention the variance between the two groups they mentioned was like 0.2%, as well as mentioning nothing about underlying conditions and other issues.

Until we have actual hard science showing this works as a preventative measure no one without a positive test or actual symptoms should be taking it. Especially not taking pills at home outside a health care environment lol

- - - Updated - - -

Shouldn’t HCQ be taken with Zinc Oxide and Azithromycin to be effective? That woman’s story might still be true.
See the link above. Az is actually the in-combination drug that makes arrhythmia and other heart issue side effects more likely when taking HCl. That’s what the FDA warning was about apparently. People with underlying heart issues (some of the most at-risk for icu/mortality With Covid) are the most at-risk for those side effects. A bit of a pick-your-poison if HCl+Az+Zinc is actually shown to be effective in the major studies.

Last edited:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Precaution meaning when you don’t even have the virus, or you have no symptoms? Pretty sure Raoult’s initial results were on people who had the virus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)