Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (36 Viewers)

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
In the small shops here they allow one guy to enter while bigger places get 2-3 people inside so there's usually people waiting for others to get out so they get in.

Meh. I feel like I'm more losing than gaining surely. I was without public transportation which I rely on for like 3-4 weeks. Now I'll get it back but I won't be able to get in just as easy. We also have to be home from 18h till 05h so I was restricted to plan my time. Not possible to hang out since group gatherings are banned, so it was possible to go out with one person most of the time. The bigger social life the more punishing it feels I guess. Can't go out to a pub, coffee shop, etc. I guess it's fine for introverts.
There was a curfew after 6pm? :lol2: :rab:

Pretty much everything here is voluntary. Things like coffee shops and restaurants are closed for going to, but open for delivery and drive through.

Worst thing is all provincial and national parks being closed because idiots were treating this like a holiday from work and they had seasonal record visitors in the parks. But Vancouver Island has a ton of wild crown land that isn’t in parks, so still a lot of places to adventure.

Buy on AliExpress.com

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
In the small shops here they allow one guy to enter while bigger places get 2-3 people inside so there's usually people waiting for others to get out so they get in.

Meh. I feel like I'm more losing than gaining surely. I was without public transportation which I rely on for like 3-4 weeks. Now I'll get it back but I won't be able to get in just as easy. We also have to be home from 18h till 05h so I was restricted to plan my time. Not possible to hang out since group gatherings are banned, so it was possible to go out with one person most of the time. The bigger social life the more punishing it feels I guess. Can't go out to a pub, coffee shop, etc. I guess it's fine for introverts.
Some of the bigger supermarkets here (Tesco, Morrisons, Asda) are allowing people in at will, no queues and busy, people on top of each other. I think if it gets particularly busy the security guard (who is currently sat out of the way) will then go and let one in, one out. Aldi do this as a standard, but they are smaller stores in general.

DIY and garden stores, garden centres are gradually opening. I know someone who waited an hour to get some things and then got in and there was absolutely nothing there, but no one came out to tell people queuing that they didn't have much stock left.

Curfew after 6? That sucks, but I guess it's harder and more costly to police people then. There is also no good reason for the general public to be out after that time unless it is for pleasure, and nothing is open...but what about those who still have to work, when do they shop?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Pretty much everything here is voluntary. Things like coffee shops and restaurants are closed for going to, but open for delivery and drive through.

Worst thing is all provincial and national parks being closed because idiots were treating this like a holiday from work and they had seasonal record visitors in the parks. But Vancouver Island has a ton of wild crown land that isn’t in parks, so still a lot of places to adventure.
Some of the bigger supermarkets here (Tesco, Morrisons, Asda) are allowing people in at will, no queues and busy, people on top of each other. I think if it gets particularly busy the security guard (who is currently sat out of the way) will then go and let one in, one out. Aldi do this as a standard, but they are smaller stores in general.

DIY and garden stores, garden centres are gradually opening. I know someone who waited an hour to get some things and then got in and there was absolutely nothing there, but no one came out to tell people queuing that they didn't have much stock left.

Curfew after 6? That sucks, but I guess it's harder and more costly to police people then. There is also no good reason for the general public to be out after that time unless it is for pleasure, and nothing is open...but what about those who still have to work, when do they shop?
Actually we had curfew (first time I hear about this word, so thanks) after 17h but after some time they switched to 18h so we get an extra hour :rolleyes: I think it was two times that we had 24h lockdown for 3 days straight while weekends were 24h. Yeah, we have/had some very strict regulations here. Our government was unhappy by the number of people we had outside (basically plenty went out for a walk, usually 2 people max, so some places were "filled" with people) during the nice weather, so they decided to fuck us in the ass as much as possible. If you're working you gotta have some paper that government gives out, so if police stops you it's like an authorization to pass. So since curfew was at 17h, shops usually close at 15h, so you gotta buy during that period. They don't give a shit about those who work, they assume you just get things with zero fucks given.

We had hair dress saloons closed for 2-3 weeks. We have it open since two days ago. Come next week we're getting rid of curfew. In 5-6 days we're having coffee shops and restaurants open. In 9 days we're getting public transportation back (limited, like I mentioned before) and we have malls and bigger shops opening. In 19 days we're opening air transport but dunno how we'll handle the borders, import and export of people and goods.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012

- - - Updated - - -

I hike in a state park near my house which is lovely. Thank God NY dod not close state parks. the funny part is 2 old men are there everyday in gas masks.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
The WHO has praised Sweden's model of dealing with Coronavirus. Talk about coming full circle.

Not necessarily saying Sweden is in the wrong since it's still early. Low-scale lockdown with distancing and sanitary measures should have probably be tried by a few countries before going full lockdown

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
The WHO has praised Sweden's model of dealing with Coronavirus. Talk about coming full circle.

Not necessarily saying Sweden is in the wrong since it's still early. Low-scale lockdown with distancing and sanitary measures should have probably be tried by a few countries before going full lockdown, but its ironic that the WHO praises them
Praising any country right now is like praising a sapper while he neutralizes a bomb. It (economy or public health) could explode any moment but applause for the effort till this moment.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005

Not necessarily saying Sweden is in the wrong since it's still early. Low-scale lockdown with distancing and sanitary measures should have probably be tried by a few countries before going full lockdown
Sweden's approach, which we are yet to really see if it will work out for them all the way thru, may not be applicable everywhere. Different countries have their own peculiar traits in terms urban/suburban demographics and way of life, in general. Most of all, however, they have different national mentality/mindset, so to speak. Peoples in Northern Europe tend to be more disciplined and can generally be relied upon when it comes to following simple guidelines. I imagine such an approach would have failed miserably in countries like Spain, Italy, pretty much all of Eastern Europe, the US, Southeast Asia and just about everywhere else bar S. Korea, Japan and a few other places.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
Some tremendously good news from Italy:
Number of recoveries was 4685, beating the previous record by 1500.
Number of new deaths was 285, the lowest ever.
The ratio of recoveries to deaths was 16:1. Last month this ratio was close to 1:1
The number of active cases went down by 3,106. The previous record was 851.
The number of patients in intensive care is down by almost 60% since the peak.
Only 1872 new positives from 68k people tested at a positive ratio of 2.7%, the lowest seen so far.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Sweden's approach, which we are yet to really see if it will work out for them all the way thru, may not be applicable everywhere. Different countries have their own peculiar traits in terms urban/suburban demographics and way of life, in general. Most of all, however, they have different national mentality/mindset, so to speak. Peoples in Northern Europe tend to be more disciplined and can generally be relied upon when it comes to following simple guidelines. I imagine such an approach would have failed miserably in countries like Spain, Italy, pretty much all of Eastern Europe, the US, Southeast Asia and just about everywhere else bar S. Korea, Japan and a few other places.
:tup:

Sweden also has 6x the deaths/million of Norway, and 3x the deaths/million of Denmark, its neighbours. It also has 1.5x the positive cases as both those countries even though it has done only 1/3rd the testing of either.

There may be other contributing factors to this, but it’s worth noting.

IliveForJuve

Burn this club
Jan 17, 2011

Lol that's nothing.

We've been in complete fuckin lockdown for over a month. You cannot be out on the streets at any time except if you're going to the supermarket BUT you can only go to the supermarket one day of the week depending on the last number of your ID, and supermarkets are only open until noon. Driving is also banned.

I don't even bother going to the supermarket since it's always overcrowded due to these stupid rules. I have to order everything online.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yeah. For a nation that is 4% of the world's population and 33% of its COVID-19 cases, I think American exceptionalism is on display.

Great thing about Corona is that the is no traffic. :tup:
And no drunken British tourists. :heart:

- - - Updated - - -

I hike in a state park near my house which is lovely. Thank God NY dod not close state parks. the funny part is 2 old men are there everyday in gas masks.
I prefer non-GMO viruses. :stuckup:

Just ask a Norwegian how much they love Sweden's program.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I surf with people. It’s not like I’m ever closer than 2m to someone while surfing here anyways. Breaks are never that crowded. Bouldering is often alone or with my brother and a friend or two.

I haven’t worn a mask once out in public. I wear them at work when cutting timbers where we use them for sawdust, not coronavirus lol

I have my own vehicle so I’m not really concerned about public transit. Grocery store I go to has made minor changes, but nothing too bothersome. No line-ups outside to wait to shop or anything like that. They just ask you to try to keep space between you and others, and not be touching and putting back things. I’m no longer one for partying so the restrictions on social gatherings aren’t really a big deal.

I don’t know. People don’t seem too anxious about this around here. Being a super old community, if it does show up that shall change, but for now, life goes on.
Not around here in Philly either. Jogging and running and cycling and sitting in groups in the parks, everyone is so chill about it.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
Nov 8, 2005
:tup:

Sweden also has 6x the deaths/million of Norway, and 3x the deaths/million of Denmark, its neighbours. It also has 1.5x the positive cases as both those countries even though it has done only 1/3rd the testing of either.

There may be other contributing factors to this, but it’s worth noting.
Indeed. Local weather patterns may well play a role. I don't know what's the latest on the effect that high summer temps, low winter temps or humidity may have on corona, but generally the data shows that more extreme conditions tend to slow the spread of influenza viruses.

IIRC, medics in Europe had somehow determined that to kill the coronavirus, one would have to expose it to 56 deg C, which are temps too high for just about anywhere in the world bar the Sahara desert and the Arabian Peninsula in the dead of summer. I don't know if these findings have been confirmed or refuted since then.

Either way, it's possible that more extreme temps in the winter (Sweden, Iceland, etc) or summer, with more UV light from the Sun and maybe coupled with high humidity (India Bangladesh, etc), if not kill the virus, would at least render it dormant and thus less contagious. I am mostly guessing here, not sure if there is already established info on this that has been scientifically confirmed.
Point is, it's entirely possible that, whatever positive results countries like Iceland and Sweden have gotten so far even withouth nationwide lockdowns, may be due in large part to temporary factors related to the winter weather.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Indeed. Local weather patterns may well play a role. I don't know what's the latest on the effect that high summer temps, low winter temps or humidity may have on corona, but generally the data shows that more extreme conditions tend to slow the spread of influenza viruses.

IIRC, medics in Europe had somehow determined that to kill the coronavirus, one would have to expose it to 56 deg C, which are temps too high for just about anywhere in the world bar the Sahara desert and the Arabian Peninsula in the dead of summer. I don't know if these findings have been confirmed or refuted since then.

Either way, it's possible that more extreme temps in the winter (Sweden, Iceland, etc) or summer, with more UV light from the Sun and maybe coupled with high humidity (India Bangladesh, etc), if not kill the virus, would at least render it dormant and thus less contagious. I am mostly guessing here, not sure if there is already established info on this that has been scientifically confirmed.
Point is, it's entirely possible that, whatever positive results countries like Iceland and Sweden have gotten so far even withouth nationwide lockdowns, may be due in large part to temporary factors related to the winter weather.
outbreaks in Singapore and South America kind of kill the warmer weather theory

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

I don't think true introverts exist.

Sure, I often like to be alone for a while, but we all need human contact. And video calls or texting are nowhere near enough.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONEPLUS A6003 met Tapatalk

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Lol that's nothing.

We've been in complete fuckin lockdown for over a month. You cannot be out on the streets at any time except if you're going to the supermarket BUT you can only go to the supermarket one day of the week depending on the last number of your ID, and supermarkets are only open until noon. Driving is also banned.

I don't even bother going to the supermarket since it's always overcrowded due to these stupid rules. I have to order everything online.
Damn :lol:

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Lol that's nothing.

lol short of any large (unnecessary) public gatherings i can go almost wherever i want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 24)