Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (92 Viewers)

Nenz

Apr 17, 2008
Still big troubles in Italy. There have 8000 doctors who applied to go help in the south while one of them is even 85 year old. Young guys from high school got their diplomas early so they can go help in the hospitals. They lack doctors and can't handle the situation. Obviously one of the big problems was Atalanta - Valencia that was played in February and had 40k+ people. Apparently they are starting to use one respirator for two people which was/is the case only during the war. Sadly, the peak in Lombardy still hasn't kicked in. One of the worrying news is that virus is spreading and is now quite close to Milano which might turn into another disaster as the city has 1.5 million people population. According to reports from GPS movement of people it seems that people in Milano are quite careless as 40% of the regular movement is still happening over there.

I also heard trouble about the economy. This goes for everyone, not just Italy. Everyone expect a huge meltdown (which is already happening) but it seems many countries are having debate whether they should completely shut down the economy for a shorter period of time or they should keep like 30% of it but extend the period of these measures in order to keep the economy alive a bit.
The world economy is already in meltdown. The material consequences could be much worse than the great depression. Commerce, trade, rent, mortgage and bill payments coming to an almost complete stop for up to a year. That's never even come close to happening. The governments of the world are going to run up gigantic debts that won't be paid for half a century. In the US they're looking at 2 trillion USD in relief as a starting point.

The carelessness is really, really disappointing. People, on average, are truly stupid and selfish (especially those under 40). I thought it was bad on the street. Social media is teeming with fuckwits trying to look cool, funny and tough by openly defying counter-measures. There's even a hashtag, #boomer-remover. Unbelievable.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
NY deaths also spiked yesterday. Still relatively low though.

- - - Updated - - -

The world economy is already in meltdown. The material consequences could be much worse than the great depression. Commerce, trade, rent, mortgage and bill payments coming to an almost complete stop for up to a year. That's never even come close to happening. The governments of the world are going to run up gigantic debts that won't be paid for half a century. In the US they're looking at 2 trillion USD in relief as a starting point.

The carelessness is really, really disappointing. People, on average, are truly stupid and selfish (especially those under 40). I thought it was bad on the street. Social media is teeming with fuckwits trying to look cool, funny and tough by openly defying counter-measures. There's even a hashtag, #boomer-remover. Unbelievable.
There’s a hashtag for them too: COVIDIOT

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
That's very worrying

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
I have a feeling that many among the older folks simply don't understand what's going on.
here it's certainly the case. they think it's just an other flu, and doesn't care to take precautions, because if it's god's will, then it's inevitable anyway. and they are still willing to go to the church, put their hands into the holy water, kiss the hands of the priest, because that's what they do. and they are chatting with the neighbors as usual. also, some have no other opportunity than to take care of themselves. my auntie is 84, she lives in a small village in the mountain, daily help from their sons is out of question. i hope the village is isolated enough...

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
I find it funny that CDC updates the number of cases only Monday through Friday, as if this is 30 year bond yield or something; yet people see US government’s hand behind everything.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Dude this thing is so unprecedented that nobody, even the smartest people, can predict the outcome. I would stop listening to those.
You can't predict since you can't even compare it to anything and you can't even find charts before WWI.

Still, it's not just about predicting the outcome. It's knowing that we're in deep shit economic wise where the system is simply collapsing and fiat currency system is slowly getting destroyed by printing money that went out of control already. Maybe you can't predict how deep in shit you're gonna be, but you're at least aware you're gonna be in shit. The situation is simply madness already seeing how markets react and they still didn't shut down the economy which will surely happen in many places. You can't say it's normal to see the US print out 2 trillion dollars to back the markets while the EU tries to follow those footsteps. They are just trying to keep the markets alive but such system is not even sustainable, especially in this situation where panic destroys even food shelves, let alone markets. Markets go down 20%. You remember what Hemingway said. “How did you go bankrupt?" Gradually, then suddenly.” IMO chances of everything being fine and not going down the toilet is literally 0%.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
You can't predict since you can't even compare it to anything and you can't even find charts before WWI.

Still, it's not just about predicting the outcome. It's knowing that we're in deep shit economic wise where the system is simply collapsing and fiat currency system is slowly getting destroyed by printing money that went out of control already. Maybe you can't predict how deep in shit you're gonna be, but you're at least aware you're gonna be in shit. The situation is simply madness already seeing how markets react and they still didn't shut down the economy which will surely happen in many places. You can't say it's normal to see the US print out 2 trillion dollars to back the markets while the EU tries to follow those footsteps. They are just trying to keep the markets alive but such system is not even sustainable, especially in this situation where panic destroys even food shelves, let alone markets. Markets go down 20%. You remember what Hemingway said. “How did you go bankrupt?" Gradually, then suddenly.” IMO chances of everything being fine and not going down the toilet is literally 0%.
:lol: dude you agree with me first, and then you go on with “still, ...”. Reminds me of that Curb Your Enthusiasm episode which Larry was saying what really was in his mind after “having said that”. There are a lot of scenarios between being fine, and everything going down the toilet. And may I remind you that you were calling this a hype 2 weeks ago despite overwhelming evidence?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
:lol: dude you agree with me first, and then you go on with “still, ...”. Reminds me of that Curb Your Enthusiasm episode which Larry was saying what really was in his mind after “having said that”. There are a lot of scenarios between being fine, and everything going down the toilet. And may I remind you that you were calling this a hype 2 weeks ago despite overwhelming evidence?
Me calling it hype has nothing to do with what we're discussing here so no idea why bring that up anyway. I did agree with but then we disagree, I don't see how that's weird, because I see this going bad. I just don't know if it's gonna be very bad, horrible or a disaster. But I see no normal or positive outcome. But yeah, you can't compare it with anything in the history.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Me calling it hype has nothing to do with what we're discussing here so no idea why bring that up anyway. I did agree with but then we disagree, I don't see how that's weird, because I see this going bad. I just don't know if it's gonna be very bad, horrible or a disaster. But I see no normal or positive outcome. But yeah, you can't compare it with anything in the history.
Because I take the predictions of someone who refuses to see evidence with a grain of salt. This situation is so dynamic. It’s like predicting 64th move of a chess game. Of course it won’t go back to normal just like that. We can all agree on that. But the scale of this makes it very much unpredictable.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Because I take the predictions of someone who refuses to see evidence with a grain of salt. This situation is so dynamic. It’s like predicting 64th move of a chess game. Of course it won’t go back to normal just like that. We can all agree on that. But the scale of this makes it very much unpredictable.
Then don't. It's that simple. I'm stating (like always) my own opinion. I still think that old people are the ones affected by this, so a lot of what I said in the beginning is still what I think. And yes, I do believe the virus itself exists. I've restricted my own movement by 90%, not because of myself, but because of others who are sadly in in majority of the cases morons themselves. Even in the beginning I said that I think economic impact is gonna be harder than corona impact. Of course it's not written in stone but it's what I think. For all I care you can invest in the derivatives if you want. And no, it's crazy to say it's gonna get back to normal like nothing happened. It's gonna take time and by default that means it's gonna be very bad. People are already facing with job loss while country itself doesn't guarantee anything. Many people are in trouble paying bills and food and it's gonna last at least for a month, but it's gonna last more surely. That's already a huge thing on an individual level. Stock market is going crazy and just because the US is gonna pump 2 trillion into the system and the EU is pumping 1 trillion, that doesn't mean the problem is solved. Best case scenario problem is only postponed.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Then don't. It's that simple. I'm stating (like always) my own opinion. I still think that old people are the ones affected by this, so a lot of what I said in the beginning is still what I think. And yes, I do believe the virus itself exists. I've restricted my own movement by 90%, not because of myself, but because of others who are sadly in in majority of the cases morons themselves. Even in the beginning I said that I think economic impact is gonna be harder than corona impact. Of course it's not written in stone but it's what I think. For all I care you can invest in the derivatives if you want. And no, it's crazy to say it's gonna get back to normal like nothing happened. It's gonna take time and by default that means it's gonna be very bad. People are already facing with job loss while country itself doesn't guarantee anything. Many people are in trouble paying bills and food and it's gonna last at least for a month, but it's gonna last more surely. That's already a huge thing on an individual level. Stock market is going crazy and just because the US is gonna pump 2 trillion into the system and the EU is pumping 1 trillion, that doesn't mean the problem is solved. Best case scenario problem is only postponed.
Good for you. I’m in no position to restrict your freedom of speech. I just challenge what I think is a premature prediction, or flat out bullshit.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
To the point and rational

There's a huge difference between a big country and smaller, not so developed one. In so many countries you see grandma/grandpa living with the family while they have no resources to separate. So it's not just about visiting them but trying to avoid the inevitable. Before my grandma passed away six months ago she was living with us and not facing a virus was close to 0% imo.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Good for you. I’m in no position to restrict your freedom of speech. I just challenge what I think is a premature prediction, or flat out bullshit.
Do you realise that we shouldn't even discuss anything based on that? Are you aware that by your logic we shouldn't even discuss football? We're playing an opponent and discussing, predicting a result that nobody knows about simply based on a personal thought. If it was easy guessing people would nail billions betting. We should also stop discussing about future election of unknown presidents etc. because that's all premature prediction or flat out bullshit. We should discuss everything only when happens :tup:

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
Do you realise that we shouldn't even discuss anything based on that? Are you aware that by your logic we shouldn't even discuss football? We're playing an opponent and discussing, predicting a result that nobody knows about simply based on a personal thought. If it was easy guessing people would nail billions betting. We should also stop discussing about future election of unknown presidents etc. because that's all premature prediction or flat out bullshit. We should discuss everything only when happens :tup:
There’s a lot of precedence to anything football related. A lot of predictable factors. How many different teams have made it to CL final in past 10 years? This is on a different scale.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 89)