Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (120 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,123
    Boeing spent 75% of its free cash flow on stock buybacks, now they want a bailout. 6 airlines (American, Delta, JetBlue, Southwest, Alaska and United) spent 96% on buybacks. This is the tax cut money they were supposed to use on expansion, and reinvestment. I have no words.
    The real impact of Paul Ryan’s brilliant economic policy making is now demonstrated perfectly.
    What's wrong with stock buybacks? At their core, they are supposed to help return profit to shareholders.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    It's not about fairness but rather the cost of each decision, the problem resides in the federal reserve and and it's only natural for humans let alone countries or big corps to always exploit a weakness if they see one.
    I blame the system, not the company. It's just stupid. I'd be fucking pissed if that was my money as a tax payer.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,125
    Just to clarify, the bailout is a loan, and i have no problem letting them fail if it is a stance we adopt across the board.
    Problem is, the other side of the stance (Bailout everyone) is impossible and will never be done consistently. Nobody is going to bailout the ski resorts for instance, or even smaller firms in general.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,129
    The airlines aren't really ran well and probably should fail. The problem is it would probably be the government picking up the assets and trying to run it themselves.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    What's wrong with stock buybacks? At their core, they are supposed to help return profit to shareholders.
    Keeping you afloat in hard times, like now? Weren’t companies supposed to reinvest their extra cash to grow, and grow the economy subsequently? How is spending 96% on buybacks a step towards this goal?

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    and the money they used was supposed to be saved for instances like these. If companies require buyouts, then they should be gov’t owned, not private.

buyouts are also a way of stock manipulation and only became legal in ‘82 under a republican president. A terrible Republican president

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,132
    But indirectly bailing out airline is also bailing out ski resorts
    I guess it depends on the location of the resorts and whether people will still go. The resorts around where I live don't need air travel. Plus they have been wrecked by a lack of colder weather this year and probably don't have any weather derivatives to help. That will be the next thing, bailing out companies for "climate change."

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    Keeping you afloat in hard times, like now? Weren’t companies supposed to reinvest their extra cash to grow, and grow the economy subsequently? How is spending 96% on buybacks a step towards this goal?
    it’s complete BS and it should be illegal. American corporations have no long term plans, the only thing they focus on is quarterly profit and that system needs to die imo

Fab Fragment

Dec 22, 2018
    Perhaps I strayed from the topic. But if you dig into the 737 MAX fiasco, it’s quite evident that greed and callous disregard for human life seemed to prevail within certain decision making quarters.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,135
    and the money they used was supposed to be saved for instances like these. If companies require buyouts, then they should be gov’t owned, not private.

buyouts are also a way of stock manipulation and only became legal in ‘82 under a republican president. A terrible Republican president
    If they "knew" the virus was going to destroy them and still went through with the buybacks, that's one thing. But buybacks are supposed to help return value to shareholders through increasing bids on share prices.

If you're concerned with stuff like this, then you should be a proponent of getting government out of the free market. If the government wasn't there to backstop silly decisions, then they probably wouldn't happen as much.

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    If they "knew" the virus was going to destroy them and still went through with the buybacks, that's one thing. But buybacks are supposed to help return value to shareholders through increasing bids on share prices.

If you're concerned with stuff like this, then you should be a proponent of getting government out of the free market. If the government wasn't there to backstop silly decisions, then they probably wouldn't happen as much.
    im a proponent of ending bailouts. Companies still need regulation.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012

I don’t have any problem with shareholders’s profit. My problem is with trickle down economic policy making. CEOs are doing what they are supposed to do. They get stock packages for their compensation, so they pump it up and then jump out with their golden parachute.

by the way the fact that they didn’t know virus is going to hit is a silly excuse.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,138
    im a proponent of ending bailouts. Companies still need regulation.
    And they have regulation, SOX being one of the big ones. It made one of my jobs 10 times more difficult and inefficient. Now people complain about stock buybacks. Let's just have the government run everything so they can bailout themselves using our money, oh wait they do that everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t have any problem with shareholders’s profit. My problem is with trickle down economic policy making. CEOs are doing what they are supposed to do. They get stock packages for their compensation, so they pump it up and then jump out with their golden parachute.

by the way the fact that they didn’t know virus is going to hit is a silly excuse.
    Then don't bail them out.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    And they have regulation, SOX being one of the big ones. It made one of my jobs 10 times more difficult and inefficient. Now people complain about stock buybacks. Let's just have the government run everything so they can bailout themselves using our money, oh wait they do that everyday.

- - - Updated - - -

Then don't bail them out.
    Sure. But will that keep them from doing this next time? CEOs got their hundreds of millions. Saving the company is secondary.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,140
    Sure. But will that keep them from doing this next time? CEOs got their hundreds of millions. Saving the company is secondary.
    Those are assumptions that are usually red herrings. Typically CEO's are shareholders, so why would they want to set up their company for failure? Not all companies/CEO's are Enron and Arthur Anderson either.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 115)