Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (74 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12,902
    Dudes. For the past few days I've been back in the U.S. for the first time in 2 years. Had to submit a COVID test, but after all the paperwork I'm in.

And where did I just have lunch 30 minutes ago? The 101-year-old Vito & Nick's Pizza. Served by a fifth generation employee.

Baller.
    dc769e671b5964542d20e85809364a3b.jpg

Old Style beer and RC Cola, bishes.
    Welcome back, brother. Staying this time? :D

How are the pies?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Welcome back, brother. Staying this time? :D

How are the pies?
    Haha! Thank you, brother.

I am here for two months though. A mix of time off and remote work.

The pies are fantastic. The place is a block from the house I first lived in until I was 4.

Everyone outside of Chicago brands the city's pizza culture after deep dish, stuffed, etc., but most locals eat tavern-style pizza: thin crust, square cut, Italian sausage, etc.

I haven't been to Vito & Nick's in decades. It hasn't changed much at all since then. And it's arguably the best tavern style pizza in the city. Salt of the earth people everywhere.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12,904
    Haha! Thank you, brother.

I am here for two months though. A mix of time off and remote work.

The pies are fantastic. The place is a block from the house I first lived in until I was 4.

Everyone outside of Chicago brands the city's pizza culture after deep dish, stuffed, etc., but most locals eat tavern-style pizza: thin crust, square cut, Italian sausage, etc.

I haven't been to Vito & Nick's in decades. It hasn't changed much at all since then. And it's arguably the best tavern style pizza in the city. Salt of the earth people everywhere.
    That's awesome. If I'm ever up in Chicago again I'll give it a try.

You going back to CA as well?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    That's awesome. If I'm ever up in Chicago again I'll give it a try.

You going back to CA as well?
    Yep, headed back there next week.

And I definitely recommend the place as a pizza institution. It's its own thing and doesn't give a crap about what anyone else does. No franchising. No White Claws and pickled vegetable lovers pizzas. Just straight up precision on simple, straightforward pizza.

Even Lou Malnati's, who make great deep dish pizza, can be found in chains in Arizona now. This place is bedrock and not budging from its hood.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12,907
    Yep, headed back there next week.

And I definitely recommend the place as a pizza institution. It's its own thing and doesn't give a crap about what anyone else does. No franchising. No White Claws and pickled vegetable lovers pizzas. Just straight up precision on simple, straightforward pizza.

Even Lou Malnati's, who make great deep dish pizza, can be found in chains in Arizona now. This place is bedrock and not budging from its hood.
    Will have to give both a try. Enjoy your stay man!

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    That place looks lit.

How long did you have to wait for a drink, 45 minutes?
    More or less, at $17 per drink with an automatic 20% gratuity added and a $50 card minimum, my friends got robbed. K-town :touched:. Feeling cute, might go back today and burn the building down just out of the principle of it, idk.

Too old for that shit. Looks like hell to me.
    :lol: I was too old for this shit as soon as I was born, but it was a friend's birthday and there hasn't been an "event" in almost two years so I felt I had to go.

Felt good to actually go out though, not gonna lie. Also saw the bouncer pretty much throw some guy down the stairs, so that was fun.

pavelnel

Oct 24, 2006
    Then the 'vaccine' is useless beyond a window of a few months, if that. Which makes the mandates even more tragically comical. If you want to keep getting poorly tested jabs every 3 months, that's up to you, it should not be federally mandated.
    One of the few times I actually agree with you, but this sounds right and it is.
    I would add that the mandatory vaccination in one country is going to be with diminishing returns when in 190+ countries out there it is not.
    Covid-19 is here to stay but hopefully it will be in its weaker variants.
    Most people will catch it in the future so we might reach some form of limited herd immunity. Right now it seems the best to catch it in the first 3 months after vaccination. I am thinking ot taking a booster jab and mingle with the wrong people and hopefully get Covid.
    I am not keen at all of being vaccinated evey year though. I can't remember the last time I got the flu and really had any problems with for more than a day. It was probably when I was 10 years old. And no vaccinations since than and almost zero problems with the flu. I do not see the point of people like me be mandated to get vaccines every year.

Изпратено от моят XQ-AU52 с помощта на Tapatalk

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #12,917
    Too old for that shit. Looks like hell to me.
    Same. If I can’t get my martini within 10 minutes I get flustered.

- - - Updated - - -

More or less, at $17 per drink with an automatic 20% gratuity added and a $50 card minimum, my friends got robbed. K-town :touched:. Feeling cute, might go back today and burn the building down just out of the principle of it, idk.

:lol: I was too old for this shit as soon as I was born, but it was a friend's birthday and there hasn't been an "event" in almost two years so I felt I had to go.

Felt good to actually go out though, not gonna lie. Also saw the bouncer pretty much throw some guy down the stairs, so that was fun.
    I don’t mind paying for good drinks. Like drinks out of Death and Co. But that pic does not look conducive of that by any means.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
    Jan 26, 2009
    Fuck clubs or packed places in general. I don't particularly like feeling like a sardine, and there are easier ways to pick up chicks without having to shout to be heard and barely see anyone anyway because of the shitty lighting.

I'd much rather go to a nice restaurant for a meal, or hang out at a quieter, more low-key place without music bursting my eardrums.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 62)