Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (46 Viewers)

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
@Gian scientists have discovered this stronger strain of Covid which seems most prevalent in the south, and will surely shut down London over Christmas, but it is also recorded in 60 different local authorities.

We always knew there would be mutation and continual problems with that, but maybe this is why Europe is suffering so badly at this moment. Americans better hope that shit doesn't make it there.

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
@Gian scientists have discovered this stronger strain of Covid which seems most prevalent in the south, and will surely shut down London over Christmas, but it is also recorded in 60 different local authorities.

We always knew there would be mutation and continual problems with that, but maybe this is why Europe is suffering so badly at this moment. Americans better hope that shit doesn't make it there.
Stronger in terms of transmission or virulence?

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Stronger in terms of transmission or virulence?
At the moment only transmission is being suggested, or at least by the UK Health Secretary. He also said there is no evidence to suggest vaccines won't work against it.

London confirmed in tier 3 from midnight Wednesday. Something had to be done as their rate was well over 200 and growing fast. A new virus strain + 9 million people is a bad combination. Fucking stupid that they weren't already in tier 3 anyway.

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009

Makes sense, pretty sure there are several mutations already and most scientist claim every time it's more contagious than previous mutation.

Cuz China has been the most successful

Serious question, what has Australia done differently to other less successful countries?
I'm no Aussie but the way I see it: they identified their cases early on (which were mainly in the state of Victoria) and banned traveling in and out to that state. Went through quite a heavy lockdown also and right now have re-opened society with very little cases and contract tracers able to research and isolate infectious people. Probably @Bianconero_Aus can explain it better :D. But my view of it is: taking measures early on and ban travel.

It's also to quote @JuveJay essentially why I don't believe regional measures without in-state travel bans can actually work

--

Right not we're going in lockdown for 5 weeks with our government closing non-essential shops, schools, gyms and hairdressers. I actually hoped my country would go in a harder lockdown and they finally did. It's our best shot at cases falling down to <3000 after these 5 weeks and we can re-open society. But still got no idea what I'm going to do these coming 5 weeks.

Last edited:

Bianconero_Aus

Beppe Marotta Is My God
May 26, 2009
Cuz China has been the most successful

Serious question, what has Australia done differently to other less successful countries?
Nothing overly different, but due to our rather isolated location and being an island nation, it’s easier for us to keep the disease at bay imo. We’ve banned overseas travel for now (of course there is some exemptions), internal borders between the states have been closed if case numbers began to spiral out of control and our track and tracing has been superb and has allowed us to go almost back to normal.

Shops are open, restaurants/bars full, funerals and weddings allowed to have large numbers, and all stadiums in the country from the end of the month will be allowed to have 100% capacity again. Of course, there is still strict measures in place when partaking in these activities, such as scanning QR code’s upon entry, wearing masks on public transport and in places where you can’t adequately keep the distance etc.

Hotel quarantine has been a costly, but successful way in managing the return of Aussie citizens to our country, but the worry of this is if the virus leaks out into the community (which it has in Sydney, Adelaide and most notably in Melbourne to terrible effect) then you have to hope your contract tracing is up to par, the locations of potential sites of outbreaks are listed ASAP and that the messaging from the local Heath authorities to the community is on point.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-54654646
Federal Health Minister Greg Hunt said Victoria "had real challenges but it is improving".
He has identified four critical pillars in Australia's determined response to Covid-19: the closure of its international borders, "uniformly good" testing in all states and territories, contact tracing, where New South Wales has set "the gold standard",
and a compliant community that has embraced distancing protocols.

didn't happen here
didn't happen here
didn't happen here
didn't happen here....asian immigration in australia vs.....you know what in EU and murica....

Lockdowns work but they have to rest on a solid foundation of competent authorities and a functional society. They don't just work when implemented from the ass

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I think you're glorifying lockdowns slightly too much. For instance take Sweden with no lockdowns vs Denmark with a lockdown. The pattern is pretty much the same and the amount of cases also. The timing is different but that's because people don't comply with restrictions over longer periods of time hence the reason why lockdowns don't offer a solution to the spread atm.

coronavirus-data-explorer.png

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
Jun 17, 2011
New York State (hopefully) seems to have leveled off at this elevated point of about 9,000 - 10,000 confirmed cases per day, the city seems to be handling it well all things considered. Hopefully the snow keeps some more people at home.

California sounds like a warzone though, they need to turn this around quickly.

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
I think you're glorifying lockdowns slightly too much.
On paper Germany is under lockdown but streets are crowded, means of public transportation, railway stations, supermarkets are stacked like a stadium. A real lockdown would inevitably work but ours only exists on paper. If you do it, do it right. Or just leave it alone.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
On paper Germany is under lockdown but streets are crowded, means of public transportation, railway stations, supermarkets are stacked like a stadium. A real lockdown would inevitably work but ours only exists on paper. If you do it, do it right. Or just leave it alone.
exactly

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Little Adi in Austria wants a 3rd lockdown from December 26th to January 18th, you'll only be able to leave, when you get tested afterwards, if not - you'll be stuck for one more week :baus:

- - - Updated - - -

Also basically blaming tourists, but wants to keep open tourism at all costs :baus:

Last edited:

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
If you close the leisure industry and force people to stay at home it makes sense that more people visit the grocery store or go out for a walk hence why it's way more crowded

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #9,198
    Hilarious that the “anti-vaxx” narrative is now mainstream and everyone is OK with African Americans questioning vaccines cuz Trump was in charge during its development. Before all the white people doing it were just crazy conspiracy theorists making everyone sick, but now it’s ok as long as it’s blacks criticizing it. Even though they’re probably the largest segment of the population dying from the virus. What a joke!

ALC

Ohaulick
    Oct 28, 2010
    Hilarious that the “anti-vaxx” narrative is now mainstream and everyone is OK with African Americans questioning vaccines cuz Trump was in charge during its development. Before all the white people doing it were just crazy conspiracy theorists making everyone sick, but now it’s ok as long as it’s blacks criticizing it. Even though they’re probably the largest segment of the population dying from the virus. What a joke!
    wasn’t there evidence that vaccines developed in Europe tend to be more effective for caucasians simply due to the fact that it used antibodies from a certain demographic?

Either way, I do think it’s ridiculous how part of the black community is acting and being antivax. Brains and skin color aren’t correlated, we knew that.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    wasn’t there evidence that vaccines developed in Europe tend to be more effective for caucasians simply due to the fact that it used antibodies from a certain demographic?

Either way, I do think it’s ridiculous how part of the black community is acting and being antivax. Brains and skin color aren’t correlated, we knew that.
    its cause we kind of experimented on them in the past. But seriously, it’s about time these patriotic Americans stood up against this deep state cabal bent in controlling our population. Maga2020 baby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)