Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (110 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Once I know everything for sure I'll come back to you.

It certainly looks like you better off with suicide if you are a restaurant owner - closed.

Edit: lol nevermind. 10 Billions in place to support them. Probably still not enough if I were to guess.
That is a hell of a lot of schnitzel. But hey, the US Farm bill pays farmers billions not to produce crops. Seems like they're gonna save the world an excess of schnitzel, so :tup:

Jun 6, 2015
I don't think it has anything to do with what Sweden was trying to accomplish. It was alternative narrative envy of Sweden for reasons they projected on to Sweden. Clearly, Sweden isn't a place like the US where the idea of not working, and not earning more money to spend on gym memberships they'll never use, is seen as a fate worse than death.

This aside of the fact that I'd trust Sweden's population to adhere to guidance that wasn't explicitly stated in the law, whereas with the US everybody seems to do the maximum that the law allows and then some.
That's an important distinction to make. In the nordic countries trust in institutions is generally quite high. This means people will follow the instructions given by authorities reasonably well.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Some of my friends lived aboard. They say they always have the money and it's incredible despite their shitty jobs plus them earning less due to not having citizenship which earns them 2-5x more wage.

I think it's the greed and not being able to manage the money properly because everything "is a must" so wallet dies probably.
no really dooze, Ive worked two jobs for most of the past two years to support myself through school. I couldn’t imagine doing this to support a family. Working 7 to 4 at one job, then 6 until midnight at another and still having schoolwork, it’s insane

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
farmers in the us still commit suicide at alarming rates
I do think we misdiagnose a lot of meaninglessness for loneliness.

That said, if you can trust the tainted CDC, farmers aren't nearly as bad as fishing and hunting workers, followed by artists and performers and then steelworkers. Truck drivers and registered nurses on the other hand...

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6903a1.htm

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8,630
    Contacts: Only members of two households are allowed to meet in public - a maximum of ten people.

Gastronomy: Restaurants, bars, clubs, discos and pubs will be closed. Food delivery allowed.

Leisure: Leisure facilities will be closed. These include theaters, operas, concert halls, trade fairs, cinemas, amusement parks and amusement arcades.

Sports: Fitness studios, swimming pools will be closed. Amateur sports operations will be discontinued, so clubs are no longer allowed to train. Individual sports, such as jogging alone, are still allowed. Professional sport like the Bundesliga is only allowed without spectators.

Services: Cosmetic studios, massage practices and tattoo studios are closed because the minimum distance cannot be maintained here. Medically necessary treatments, for example by a physiotherapist, are still possible. Hairdressers also remain open.

Supermarkets: The retail trade remains open - but there are regulations as to how many customers can be in the store at the same time.
    This seems pretty much the same as the previous lockdown other than allowing pro sports. Did they say when they would re-evaluate?

Dostoevsky

Tzu
    Administrator
    May 27, 2007
    This seems pretty much the same as the previous lockdown other than allowing pro sports. Did they say when they would re-evaluate?
    But it's the beginning and restrictions can only make it worse. Pro sports are total shit without audience.

Also, I expect them (everyone) to start closing borders again. And yeah, this shitstorm is gonna last for months to come so I expect the end results to be a lot worse.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #8,633
    But it's the beginning and restrictions can only make it worse. Pro sports are total shit without audience.

Also, I expect them (everyone) to start closing borders again. And yeah, this shitstorm is gonna last for months to come so I expect the end results to be a lot worse.

Yeah, pretty much fucked. I'm sure it will last for more than that, too.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    Yeah, but those charts are a really bit deceiving, don't you think? For instance, Belgium and England have among the highest density in Europe. Sweden doesn't even rank in the top 10 as far as I know. Comparing Sweden to Denmark for instance will show a pretty similar curve right now during the second wave and also a much lower curve in the first wave. If you add the fact they have around 10 times the death per capita, it doesn't really sound a massive success story to me.

I'm not saying the strategy is wrong however, but it doesn't mean it'll apply to any country. For instance if Italy or Spain would apply the same strategy, we would have witnessed a humanitarian crisis probably. Personally I'm against lockdowns but for most European countries it seems like the most sensible thing to do.
    Context, denmark has now double the rate of infection, Swedens model warned that it did come with growing pains which is the whole point. But 6 months into it sweden is the one doing better. Like i said people want to rationalize their way into their point of view instead of actually looking for what is rational.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...table&time=2020-01-22..latest&country=SWE~DNK
    October 28th 7 day rolling average daily new cases/million:

Sweden: 131 new cases/day/million

Denmark: 142 new cases/day/million

Double. Right. :lol2:

And to make it even more laughable... the other neighbours:

Norway: 45 new cases/day/million

Finland: 33 new cases/day/million

Some real Trump style lying going on in this thread. Rational. Lol

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
    Aug 27, 2008
    https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/...table&time=2020-01-22..latest&country=SWE~DNK
    October 28th 7 day rolling average daily new cases/million:

Sweden: 131 new cases/day/million

Denmark: 142 new cases/day/million

Double. Right. :lol2:

And to make it even more laughable... the other neighbours:

Norway: 45 new cases/day/million

Finland: 33 new cases/day/million

Some real Trump style lying going on in this thread. Rational. Lol
    You are not looking at the data correctly :disagree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 92)