Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (49 Viewers)

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Also this: https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-sweden-gdp-falls-8pc-in-q2-worse-nordic-neighbors-2020-8

Economy shrank more than neighbours in Q2, even without lockdown. Lol resounding success.
But what I fail to understand is why bring up the economy? I am almost certain that the no lockdown policy that we have taken was not to boos the economy. Tegnell has other reasons not to lock down. You should also look at the government that has been failing to bring the economy up since it was elected in the previous cycle. Sweden is heavily dependent on export would not benefit from the Covid, similar to many other countries.

I insist that what our health experts did here is the best decision that could have been made but I have to highlight about best. Best for our own good and not to be compared with others countries.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
But what I fail to understand is why bring up the economy? I am almost certain that the no lockdown policy that we have taken was not to boos the economy. Tegnell has other reasons not to lock down. You should also look at the government that has been failing to bring the economy up since it was elected in the previous cycle. Sweden is heavily dependent on export would not benefit from the Covid, similar to many other countries.

I insist that what our health experts did here is the best decision that could have been made but I have to highlight about best. Best for our own good and not to be compared with others countries.
As I said before, I don’t have much of a problem with Sweden’s strategy, and believe there was likely a better medium between Sweden and the most stringent lockdowns...

...but when someone is trying to say everyone else is wrong because, look, Sweden, did better than a few very different countries like the US, Belgium, Spain, etc... that’s the sort of notion that deserves ridicule.

The economy thing was more a laugh at conservative Americans always talking about no-lockdown = normal economy during a pandemic that is killing hundreds of thousands. I’m happy Swedish officials were intelligent enough to realize that the economy would have trouble with this regardless of lockdown or not.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
both. In America it’s also not as popular to live with the family so you’ll see people struggling to make it in their own when they’re not earning that much. And the really poor people will end up working two jobs and won’t have time to cook, etc so they’ll just eat fast food to get by.

but overall, yeah there is a huge consumerism mindset and people mismanage the fuck out of their money

- - - Updated - - -

indoor dining in Philadelphia opened up but now we have riots so the cars on fire make outdoor dining possible again. Silver linings.
Some of my friends lived aboard. They say they always have the money and it's incredible despite their shitty jobs plus them earning less due to not having citizenship which earns them 2-5x more wage.

I think it's the greed and not being able to manage the money properly because everything "is a must" so wallet dies probably.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007

Barely anyone mentions this while it's very important. Not everything is covid related but being dependent on everyone else also.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
Some of my friends lived aboard. They say they always have the money and it's incredible despite their shitty jobs plus them earning less due to not having citizenship which earns them 2-5x more wage.

I think it's the greed and not being able to manage the money properly because everything "is a must" so wallet dies probably.
yeah, money is spent very freely here as a result of people having more and living paycheck to paycheck.

that’s the Americana vibe I guess. I wonder if other countries would be the same if they also earned more, although probably not to the same extent

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
Yeah, but those charts are a really bit deceiving, don't you think? For instance, Belgium and England have among the highest density in Europe. Sweden doesn't even rank in the top 10 as far as I know. Comparing Sweden to Denmark for instance will show a pretty similar curve right now during the second wave and also a much lower curve in the first wave. If you add the fact they have around 10 times the death per capita, it doesn't really sound a massive success story to me.

I'm not saying the strategy is wrong however, but it doesn't mean it'll apply to any country. For instance if Italy or Spain would apply the same strategy, we would have witnessed a humanitarian crisis probably. Personally I'm against lockdowns but for most European countries it seems like the most sensible thing to do.

Last edited:

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Businesses too? Or is this more of a social gathering size lockdown?

We’re going into a crackdown on private gatherings after a big spike post-Thanksgiving weekend. But I don’t believe businesses are getting any new restrictions.
Once I know everything for sure I'll come back to you.

It certainly looks like you better off with suicide if you are a restaurant owner - closed.

Edit: lol nevermind. 10 Billions in place to support them. Probably still not enough if I were to guess.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Contacts: Only members of two households are allowed to meet in public - a maximum of ten people.

Gastronomy: Restaurants, bars, clubs, discos and pubs will be closed. Food delivery allowed.

Leisure: Leisure facilities will be closed. These include theaters, operas, concert halls, trade fairs, cinemas, amusement parks and amusement arcades.

Sports: Fitness studios, swimming pools will be closed. Amateur sports operations will be discontinued, so clubs are no longer allowed to train. Individual sports, such as jogging alone, are still allowed. Professional sport like the Bundesliga is only allowed without spectators.

Services: Cosmetic studios, massage practices and tattoo studios are closed because the minimum distance cannot be maintained here. Medically necessary treatments, for example by a physiotherapist, are still possible. Hairdressers also remain open.

Supermarkets: The retail trade remains open - but there are regulations as to how many customers can be in the store at the same time.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
indoor dining in Philadelphia opened up but now we have riots so the cars on fire make outdoor dining possible again. Silver linings.
Hey, it's Philly. Nothing a little Jell-O Pudding and Quaaludes can't fix.

151784-bill-cosby-as-cliff-huxtable-300x168.jpg

I don't think it has anything to do with what Sweden was trying to accomplish. It was alternative narrative envy of Sweden for reasons they projected on to Sweden. Clearly, Sweden isn't a place like the US where the idea of not working, and not earning more money to spend on gym memberships they'll never use, is seen as a fate worse than death.

This aside of the fact that I'd trust Sweden's population to adhere to guidance that wasn't explicitly stated in the law, whereas with the US everybody seems to do the maximum that the law allows and then some.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
Contacts: Only members of two households are allowed to meet in public - a maximum of ten people.

Gastronomy: Restaurants, bars, clubs, discos and pubs will be closed. Food delivery allowed.

Leisure: Leisure facilities will be closed. These include theaters, operas, concert halls, trade fairs, cinemas, amusement parks and amusement arcades.

Sports: Fitness studios, swimming pools will be closed. Amateur sports operations will be discontinued, so clubs are no longer allowed to train. Individual sports, such as jogging alone, are still allowed. Professional sport like the Bundesliga is only allowed without spectators.

Services: Cosmetic studios, massage practices and tattoo studios are closed because the minimum distance cannot be maintained here. Medically necessary treatments, for example by a physiotherapist, are still possible. Hairdressers also remain open.

Supermarkets: The retail trade remains open - but there are regulations as to how many customers can be in the store at the same time.
That's pretty fucking hard. But can't say I'm surprised.

Fuck... the worst thing is that I expect this shit to be a long longer than the first wave. I really doubt we'll have freedom before April.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 29)