Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (188 Viewers)

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #681
    So what next? what else can i short?
    One part of me says it's too late to short, the other says as long as the bond market is this fucked up, we could have major problems. Everything has already been crushed, especially anything service, tech, travel, oil, and financial related. Crude was down close to 10% today, a huge move with major implications, and it doesn't seem likely it will be going above 50 any time soon. I would love to have it crash to 30, which would yield an incredible opportunity to buy IMO.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    South by Southwest festival and conference which attracts 400k people every year is cancelled.
    I wonder if they refund the tickets :agnelli:

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #688
    South by Southwest festival and conference which attracts 400k people every year is cancelled.
    I wonder if they refund the tickets :agnelli:
    That's a good question. The cancellation is a huge blow for the local economy. I saw a statistic quoted that the festival brings in around $360 million for the area.

I'm supposed to go to a concert in DC in a couple weeks, but by then I'd imagine it could be cancelled. I'd also be concerned with the NCAA college basketball tournament that begins in a couple weeks.

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
    Normally I wouldn’t care for the scaremongering and exaggerated panic people love to create but we just had the first two cases in Florida’s east coast and I’m fucking worried. My wife is a nurse and they’re both on her floor.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #690
    As the coronavirus spreads, one study predicts that even the best-case scenario is 15 million dead and a $2.4 trillion hit to global GDP

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

• The coronavirus outbreak that originated in Wuhan, China, has killed nearly 3,300 people and infected more than 95,000. The virus, which causes a disease known as COVID-19, has spread to at least 81 countries.
    • While much is still unknown about the virus, a group of Australian experts have estimated that the virus may have severe consequences on global gross domestic product.
    • New modeling from The Australian National University looks at seven scenarios of how the outbreak might affect the world's wealth, ranging from low severity to high severity.
    • In the low-severity model — or best-case scenario of the seven — ANU researchers estimate a global GDP loss of $2.4 trillion, with an estimated death toll of 15 million.

I don't know much about the university or the model, but Jesus Christ...

- - - Updated - - -

Normally I wouldn’t care for the scaremongering and exaggerated panic people love to create but we just had the first two cases in Florida’s east coast and I’m fucking worried. My wife is a nurse and they’re both on her floor.
    Are they at least taking proper precautions at that hospital? Do they have the proper equipment? It's definitely scary.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't good either, not sure how these states will handle this. They will have to work in conjunction with nearby states or the CDC.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
    May 3, 2012
    That's a good question. The cancellation is a huge blow for the local economy. I saw a statistic quoted that the festival brings in around $360 million for the area.

I'm supposed to go to a concert in DC in a couple weeks, but by then I'd imagine it could be cancelled. I'd also be concerned with the NCAA college basketball tournament that begins in a couple weeks.
    SXSW is huge, but I’m pretty sure they’ll refund the badges given that it’s so fucking expensive.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #693
    SXSW is huge, but I’m pretty sure they’ll refund the badges given that it’s so fucking expensive.
    That would be the right thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, but the wind did wake me up. No sirens though.
    That was such a nasty storm, but probably could have been even worse. Glad to see my old college classmate Jared Plushnick was OK.

Last edited:

CrimsonianKing

The end of Jihadism
    Jan 16, 2013
    Are they at least taking proper precautions at that hospital? Do they have the proper equipment? It's definitely scary.
    Apparently not nearly enough. She was off the last couple of days but her nurse friends have been keeping her updated and as far as we know they’re not testing everybody and the nurses are pretty much left to fend for themselves( isn’t that always the case) in terms of protection. Anyone showing respiratory issues go straight to her floor, and since they aren’t testing everyone she could very well be dealing with infected people. The two who tested positive were sent to a special floor but the numbers are gonna rise and if they don’t have a better game plan this shit is gonna turn ugly very fast.

We’re both relatively young compared to the age range of the people who have died. But being a diabetic it’s not like I have the strongest immune system in the world so that scares me even if just a bit. We’re gonna have to be very careful.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #695
    Apparently not nearly enough. She was off the last couple of days but her nurse friends have been keeping her updated and as far as we know they’re not testing everybody and the nurses are pretty much left to fend for themselves( isn’t that always the case) in terms of protection. Anyone showing respiratory issues go straight to her floor, and since they aren’t testing everyone she could very well be dealing with infected people. The two who tested positive were sent to a special floor but the numbers are gonna rise and if they don’t have a better game plan this shit is gonna turn ugly very fast.

We’re both relatively young compared to the age range of the people who have died. But being a diabetic it’s not like I have the strongest immune system in the world so that scares me even if just a bit. We’re gonna have to be very careful.
    Are they at least issuing them protective masks, goggles, and the like, or is it just the surgical masks? If hospitals are following the same protocols or lack there of, that doesn't really instill any confidence. From what I have heard around my region, the hospital ER's are already at capacity due to the regular flu. Very concerning. Hope it ends up being OK for you guys.

kao_ray

Feb 28, 2014
    Only 1% of the deceased in Italy are under 59 years old.
    Percentage of deaths by age group:
    90+ years old: 6% of deaths
    80 - 89 years old: 42% of deaths
    70 - 79 years old: 35% of deaths
    60 - 69years old: 16% of deaths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 174)