Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (39 Viewers)

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
There isn't anything wrong with what he said in that post, TBH. Most people do want to get back to work, and the longer the shutdown is, the longer and more grave the impact will be to the economy. While I don't want to see anybody die and realize the deaths are staggering already, I've said before that a long-term depression will be worse than the impacts of the virus itself, but that doesn't mean we should just act like everything is normal in two weeks. I think all options should be on the table to slow the spread in the short term, including quarantining places like NYC, and evaluate what we can do to keep as much of the economy moving as possible medium-term. Trump's Easter Sunday stuff isn't going to work out, and he'll realize it soon as the data escalates.
From what I've read, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The economy doesn't get better until the virus finishes. Either you have most of the country inside for a month or so, or people go to work and millions get sick, overwhelming the health system. Neither scenario ends with a robust economy. Most scenarios I've read end in disaster. I think that's what both sides need to acknowledge. The economy is fucked, there's really no getting around it. The only question is how bad is it going to be?

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,363
    Fair question to you:
    Imagine you knew that re-opening the country, and thus the stock markets recovering, in 2 weeks would result in a death toll of 'only' another 10,000 people. Which would you take - getting your portfolio back on track (and a proper Easter mass to boot) or the lives of those 10K people?

Just trying to measure where your priorities lie and where you draw the line between personal profit vs other people's well-being.
    Obviously I don't want to see 10,000 die. Why would I? It's not all about the stock market, but rather people not being able to feed their family due to job losses, credit markets freezing, social unrest, et cetera. Millions of people died during the great depression, so there are more factors to be considered than just two variables sitting in a vacuum. Many times the unforeseen or unintended consequences are worse than the originating event, so there are economic and societal trade-offs to every decision.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Bolsonaro’s approval ratings have taken a beating. A survey published Monday by the Datafolha polling firm showed that just 34% of Brazilians polled thought the president’s job performance was “great” or “good.” That’s the lowest level since he took office last year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-coronavirus-spreads-in-brazil-idUSKBN21B1AX

Still it's good to see Brazilian community leaders taking responsibilty and reasonable steps:

Drug traffickers in one of Rio de Janeiro’s best-known favelas have imposed a coronavirus curfew, amid growing fears over the impact the virus could have on some of Brazil’s poorest citizens

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/brazil-rio-gangs-coronavirus
    AMLO's spiraling in Mexico as well.

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,366
    From what I've read, it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. The economy doesn't get better until the virus finishes. Either you have most of the country inside for a month or so, or people go to work and millions get sick, overwhelming the health system. Neither scenario ends with a robust economy. Most scenarios I've read end in disaster. I think that's what both sides need to acknowledge. The economy is fucked, there's really no getting around it. The only question is how bad is it going to be?
    That's why I'm getting very irate at seeing people not following the social distancing measures. Limit the spread, then evaluate where certain areas stand. And people may not like it, but you have to quarantine as well. Lots of folks are going to flee the cities and continue the spread.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    That's why I'm getting very irate at seeing people not following the social distancing measures. Limit the spread, then evaluate where certain areas stand. And people may not like it, but you have to quarantine as well. Lots of folks are going to flee the cities and continue the spread.
    I have some friends and SoCal and they are furious that no one seems to give a shit. I think some of the bigger cities may need to enforce Marshall Law and literally lock people down before we see a big change. Luckily here in SLC, people seem pretty chill about the social distancing, no contact, etc. Maybe except for the mormons.

AFL_ITALIA

MAGISTERIAL
    Jun 17, 2011
    Bolsonaro’s approval ratings have taken a beating. A survey published Monday by the Datafolha polling firm showed that just 34% of Brazilians polled thought the president’s job performance was “great” or “good.” That’s the lowest level since he took office last year.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-coronavirus-spreads-in-brazil-idUSKBN21B1AX

Still it's good to see Brazilian community leaders taking responsibilty and reasonable steps:

Drug traffickers in one of Rio de Janeiro’s best-known favelas have imposed a coronavirus curfew, amid growing fears over the impact the virus could have on some of Brazil’s poorest citizens

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/25/brazil-rio-gangs-coronavirus
    He was the first person I thought of too but didn't bother to check.

- - - Updated - - -

This guy at work was blaming Cuomo. And he’s said multiple times he doesn’t know anyone who’s gotten Corona as if that means anything.
    They're implying it's overblown, fake, or doesn't exist. Low IQ individual.

- - - Updated - - -

I know an Instagram thot from New York that is in Miami partying as we speak. The clubs in the videos are packed. It's not even fleeing at this point, it's stupidity.

EDIT: Videos may be from 2017...

Last edited:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
    Obviously I don't want to see 10,000 die. Why would I? It's not all about the stock market, but rather people not being able to feed their family due to job losses, credit markets freezing, social unrest, et cetera. Millions of people died during the great depression, so there are more factors to be considered than just two variables sitting in a vacuum. Many times the unforeseen or unintended consequences are worse than the originating event, so there are economic and societal trade-offs to every decision.
    Notice how most other first world countries with more progressive governments/social democrats in power are able to look after their people right now, while “freedomloving, anti-taxation, anti-government America can’t/won’t give shit to most of the working poor and lower middle class who will struggle most here.

Canada for example has waived 2 week waiting period for EI, will allow self employed and people without required hours to be eligible and offer up to $2000/ month for the next 3.5 months. As well as offering up to $500/month rent help, and provinces giving different amounts to various people as well.

Your country and it’s current admin doesn’t do shit to help its most vulnerable citizens because instead it’s all about giving tax breaks to corporations and the wealthy instead and blaming the poor for being poor regardless of circumstance.

Everyone will suffer if this goes on long enough, but other nations at least have some plan and means to mitigate that suffering for the most vulnerable.

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
    There isn't anything wrong with what he said in that post, TBH. Most people do want to get back to work, and the longer the shutdown is, the longer and more grave the impact will be to the economy. While I don't want to see anybody die and realize the deaths are staggering already, I've said before that a long-term depression will be worse than the impacts of the virus itself, but that doesn't mean we should just act like everything is normal in two weeks. I think all options should be on the table to slow the spread in the short term, including quarantining places like NYC, and evaluate what we can do to keep as much of the economy moving as possible medium-term. Trump's Easter Sunday stuff isn't going to work out, and he'll realize it soon as the data escalates.

- - - Updated - - -

TWC is a joke, but there are a lot of smart folks at Accuweather.
    Of course you don't. I do though. I have a problem with any leader who tries to blame the economic impact of such a disaster on the media and only thinks about himself and his re-election. Compare this to Cuomo's response where he said he doesn't care about being re-elected (I'm not the biggest fan of Cuomo, but he has handled this situation wayyy better than the clowmander in chief) he only wants to solve this current crisis on our hands.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    He was the first person I thought of too but didn't bother to check.

- - - Updated - - -

They're implying it's overblown, fake, or doesn't exist. Low IQ individual.

- - - Updated - - -

I know an Instagram thot from New York that is in Miami partying as we speak. The clubs in the videos are packed. It's not even fleeing at this point, it's stupidity.
    I think we let Florida do it’s thing and close all travel from there into the country.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Notice how most other first world countries with more progressive governments/social democrats in power are able to look after their people right now, while “freedomloving, anti-taxation, anti-government America can’t/won’t give shit to most of the working poor and lower middle class who will struggle most here.

Canada for example has waived 2 week waiting period for EI, will allow self employed and people without required hours to be eligible and offer up to $2000/ month for the next 3.5 months. As well as offering up to $500/month rent help, and provinces giving different amounts to various people as well.

Your country and it’s current admin doesn’t do shit to help its most vulnerable citizens because instead it’s all about giving tax breaks to corporations and the wealthy instead and blaming the poor for being poor regardless of circumstance.

Everyone will suffer if this goes on long enough, but other nations at least have some plan and means to mitigate that suffering for the most vulnerable.
    Did you see what Lindsay Graham said today?

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

- - - Updated - - -

TWC is a joke, but there are a lot of smart folks at Accuweather.
    What the heck do you mean, there’s nothing wrong with what he wrote? :lol2:

He just said the media (who he calls the true enemy of the people) is hoping the country is shutdown longer so he won’t get re-elected. An absolutely absurd and retarded thing for a president to claim.

It would be one thing to be talking about how he wants to get the country back on its feet and the economy going again as quickly as possible, while understanding the challenges that coronavirus poses for doing so, but to claim coronavirus is being overhyped and basically a media hoax to remove him from office? Nothing wrong with that? :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Did you see what Lindsay Graham said today?
    Yeah. :sergio:

I don’t get how some of these politicians can be so callous and careless towards so many of the American people. It’s truly sad.

acmilan

Plusvalenza Akbar
    Nov 8, 2005
    I will comment on what you said later as I am busy now.
    I meant that as more of a rhetorical question, not because I was looking for an answer but because I wanted to make sure you asked yourself that question, about what yur persona priorities are.
    I read an interview with David Tepper a couple of days ago, where he kept on and on about the stock market and how important this last bail out package was. He kept saying how impatient he was to get back to trading, etc,etc ... You know what he didn't mention, even a single time - all those people who are gonna lose their lives, their livelihoods, their everything in the midst of all of this. Here is the article:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/david-tepper-says-theres-nothing-174540562.html

So, I thought it was fair game to make sure you, and other stock market aficionados here in this forum, ask yourself where your priorities stand. Again, a rhetorical question more than anything else.

Hust

Hustini
    May 29, 2005
    Why so sensitive, darling. I’m just teasing you. ;)
    Call it cabin fever...tired of being tied up at the house.

Birds with as brilliantly colored feathers like I have need to showcase our colors to the world, not stuck in a cage :p

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is, trump is in an election year, and that means, when making certain decisions, he will always have that in the back of his mind.
    In a crucial situation like this, we better hope the head of the country has what's best for the people, and not what's best for him personally, as his #1 priority.
    Unfortunately, that's the last thing a rational person should expect from a life-long narcissist like Trump.
    I'll be honest, I don't think he has the slightest worry about reelection considering its down to Biden & Comrade.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016

He just said the media (who he calls the true enemy of the people) is hoping the country is shutdown longer so he won’t get re-elected. An absolutely absurd and retarded thing for a president to claim.

It would be one thing to be talking about how he wants to get the country back on its feet and the economy going again as quickly as possible, while understanding the challenges that coronavirus poses for doing so, but to claim coronavirus is being overhyped and basically a media hoax to remove him from office? Nothing wrong with that? :lol:
    Imagine if people in Canada were saying the media want a shutdown to avoid Trudeau getting reelected

OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,378

Trump's administration is cutting checks to every family earning below $200k, which is basically 90% of the country. What else do you want to see? And please don't mention taxes, I don't really care because the government is already massive and spends trillions on frivolous matters and then has the Fed add dollars to their terminals.

I have some friends and SoCal and they are furious that no one seems to give a shit. I think some of the bigger cities may need to enforce Marshall Law and literally lock people down before we see a big change. Luckily here in SLC, people seem pretty chill about the social distancing, no contact, etc. Maybe except for the mormons.
    Martial law isn't ideal, and should only be used as a last resort. But that seems to be where we are.

Not good. They'll probably end up getting their families sick.

- - - Updated - - -

There are plenty of examples that show certain media outlets have an agenda against Trump. That is common knowledge. Not saying he should make a point of it during a pandemic, but it's a two way street here.

Last edited:
    OP
    Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #3,380
    I will comment on what you said later as I am busy now.
    I meant that as more of a rhetorical question, not because I was looking for an answer but because I wanted to make sure you asked yourself that question, about what yur persona priorities are.
    I read an interview with David Tepper a couple of days ago, where he kept on and on about the stock market and how important this last bail out package was. He kept saying how impatient he was to get back to trading, etc,etc ... You know what he didn't mention, even a single time - all those people who are gonna lose their lives, their livelihoods, their everything in the midst of all of this. Here is the article:
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/david-tepper-says-theres-nothing-174540562.html

So, I thought it was fair game to make sure you, and other stock market aficionados here in this forum, ask yourself where your priorities stand. Again, a rhetorical question more than anything else.
    There's a lot of assholes on CNBC and on Wall Street, so no surprise there.

- - - Updated - - -

An economy relying on Stock Market will always crash and create crises.
    I think it has more to do with how central banks use monetary policy to control the markets, IMO. Stock markets are supposed to create capital and have return on investment, which isn't really a bad thing.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 26)