Coronavirus (COVID-19 Outbreak) (61 Viewers)

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
18? No way. Lockdown started in Jan 23rd. Total official cases were 830.
i read some english article a couple of days ago saying that the difference between the tested and positive cases' count and the number of actual infected people is huge, there might be at least 200 times more infected people than those who are confirmed positives. dunno how accurate this estimate was.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
it took a couple of days when people started to take the lockdown seriously, then they went panic shopping. that was probably the latest wave of mass infection. i wouldn't be surprised if the results of the lockdown started to show in an other week or two.
Good point. Sadly it also means US is following the same path. Supermarkets are like madhouses right now.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Today I heard some Chinese who works for a red cross in Italy, he said he was left in shock when he saw so many people walking outside in Milano while almost nobody even wore a mask.

So yeah, I think it's the discipline. In China you had A TOTAL shutdown where nobody left the house for 40-50 days, bar going to the shop, literally. In Italy that was not the case and it's still not the case apparently.
China is also an authoritarian regime that brutally suppresses dissent. The authorities and population there are much more used to restricted freedoms, and the government is much more willing to use “oppressive” methodology.

There will always be boneheads who think this is overblown, a conspiracy, a hoax, etc. Look at Fox News and its followers until a few days ago... Coronavirus was an overblown conspiracy to get rid of Trump. It took the outbreak numbers skyrocketing for them to change their tune.

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
10k :D
The thing is, with median incubation period being around 5 days, you would think 10 days to be enough to see a slowdown, but this is growing every day.
That's the thing. Look at the Chinese numbers and so many deaths but they reacted 10x faster than Italy. It's still spreading, considering the incubation period.

I read some report from a girl that lived in a fucked up province in China. Nobody left their home for month and a half. I have many Chinese in my town, once the news popped up you just don't see them anywhere while my people walks around like nothing happened :lol2: I think it's the different mindset and imo Italian is pretty much the same as ours. I heard from multiple sources how they didn't take it seriously up till 3 weeks ago. But that was already way too many infected. I don't think we'll see a slowdown in another week surely.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
i read some english article a couple of days ago saying that the difference between the tested and positive cases' count and the number of actual infected people is huge, there might be at least 200 times more infected people than those who are confirmed positives. dunno how accurate this estimate was.
I don’t know how they estimate it without knowing how widespread testing is, but that’s common sense that there are more cases than what the tests are telling you.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
I’ve read a couple of these articles too, positing anywhere from 3X the number of positive cases to 100X.

- - - Updated - - -

I don’t know how they estimate it without knowing how widespread testing is, but that’s common sense that there are more cases than what the tests are telling you.
In America with how little testing has been done due to how few testing kits are available, one would have to imagine a massive disparity between reported cases and actual numbers.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
According to Cuomo NY tested 7500 individuals yesterday, of which ~1700 were positive. CDC site has the total numbers of tests so far at 33k. That should tell you how disastrous the decision to reject WHO’s tests was.
lmao terrible numbers

thanks Obama

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
lmao terrible numbers

thanks Obama
Trump still blaming Obama, eh? Lol

- - - Updated - - -

According to Cuomo NY tested 7500 individuals yesterday, of which ~1700 were positive. CDC site has the total numbers of tests so far at 33k. That should tell you how disastrous the decision to reject WHO’s tests was.
‘Murica has to have ‘Murican made tests that are bigger, better, more beautiful. :tuttosport:

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
It’s almost shocking that Trump takes zero responsibility for defunding and shutting down the pandemic response team, refusing the WHO test kits, and three weeks ago claiming the Coronavirus wasn’t a big deal and America would have zero cases in a few more days.

Instead, no one could have ever seen a pandemic coming or be prepared for it and we should hope and pray for a miracle instead, and he always knew it was very serious and was the first to think it was a pandemic.

Then I remember it’s Donald Trump, and it’s no longer shocking at all.

@Bjerknes you voted for this, dude. :p

OP
Bjerknes

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
  • Thread Starter #2,196
    It’s almost shocking that Trump takes zero responsibility for defunding and shutting down the pandemic response team, refusing the WHO test kits, and three weeks ago claiming the Coronavirus wasn’t a big deal and America would have zero cases in a few more days.

Instead, no one could have ever seen a pandemic coming or be prepared for it and we should hope and pray for a miracle instead, and he always knew it was very serious and was the first to think it was a pandemic.

Then I remember it’s Donald Trump, and it’s no longer shocking at all.

@Bjerknes you voted for this, dude. :p
    If it isn't shocking to you, then you should be prepared for it, right?

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
    I don't think that's true. It's people walking down the streets thinking they are healthy but they are infected. Had they wore a mask they wouldn't spread it around (meaning they are in a range <1.5m from the other person).

China went on a total lockdown after 18 cases I think. Italy, when, after like 10.000?
    Does mask make a diff if they aren't coughing?

campionesidd

Mar 16, 2013
    I'm hearing so many conflicting reports and advice on the use of face masks.
    Don't know which one is true.
    Personally I am opting not to wear one and instead trying to avoid going out altogether (apart from buying groceries, food etc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 44)