COPPA ITALIA: Siena - Juventus (1 Viewer)

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
After the SuperCup, the leadership in Coppa Italia and the first round already cleared in Champions League, Juventus starts very well also in Coppa Italia. In Siena, after the goal for the hosts by Rubino, Zalayeta and Benjamin gifted Juventus of the victory.

Also at the Artemio Franchi Stadium the law of the turnover is respected: the close match against Modena, and, above all, the big clash against Juventus at home on Saturday night oblige Lippi to save energies to most of the players and leave space to others. Juventus starts the game with Chimenti, Birindelli, Ferrara, Tudor, Pessotto, Fresi, Maresca, Davids, Olivera, Miccoli, Zalayeta. On the bench Appiah, Conte, Mirante, Konko, Bartolucci, Masiello and Benjamin.

Also Papadopulo, like Lippi, has to consider the just played match in Serie A and is obliged to allow many players to rest and starts with a team different from the usual one seen during the last matches. At the 16’ first emotions. Chimenti is extraordinary saving a ball on Menegazzo feet, alone against the Juventus goalie.

Juventus answer arrives immediately, perfect ball from Maresca to Olivera whose shot is cleared with no particular problems by Fortin. First goal at the 26’. Ventola is able to overtake Pessotto and shoots a very difficult ball where Chimenti saves but Rubino replies in goal with a header.

Second half. Lippi changes Fresi with Appiah. Juventus starts more convinced then the first 45 minutes. In fact just after 8 minutes it’s Miccoli with a lob to go close to the 1-1, but Fortin saves with the top of his fingers. Lippi gives a chance also to the young Benjamin and to Conte. And at the 28’ the draw is taken. Cross by Birindelli for Zalayeta, stop with the chest and voleé on which maybe Fortin could have done more. At the 38’ Juventus scores the second goal. Superb assist of Zalayeta for Benjamin, control and goal. Juventus wins also away in Siena, and the round in Coppa Italia is almost cleared.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by sallyinzaghi ] ++
oh thanks glenn. man, u just watched the matched and set this report? now its confirmed im never gonna be a sports journalist.

thanks again!
I was typing it through the game so I finished it at the same time that the match finished. Come on don't give up...it's fun and great job :D

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
Glenn, why do you call it our 'third' team ??

Anyway, I think our defence was scandulous in the first half .. unprofessional mistakes by Pessotto and Birindelli nearly cost us dearly .. Fresi in def. midfield was a bad idea from Lippi, everyone (even the TV commentators) thought that Fresi was playing in defence and Tudor in midfield ..

What happened to Maresca? He played well whenever introduced in Serie A but looked out of sorts in this match .. Zalayeta only played well when he was transformed to right of midfield with Appiah playing on the left and Olivera coming out .. we were lucky that they had such a bad GK, and it was nice to see Benjamin score in his debut .. after the match he ran towards his other 3 Primavera teammates who looked happy for him ..

IceBlu

Aug 26, 2003
pretty bad performance i must say but Benjamin scored :D thats all i wanted ! he could have got one more goal

I don't like these contraversial wins but hey its better than losing 5-1 at home to Arsenal in a non-contraversial way :D muhahaha !

This keeps our unbeaten record going and thats what matters :) Forza Juve !

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
I called it the third team because in the first and second team we have 20 first team players while in this team we have Primavera players (Olivera and Benjamin), players who never play (Fresi and Chimenti) and players who rarely play (Pessotto, Zala and Maresca). That's already 7 out of 11 players, so I guess yeah it is the third team which will only feature in Coppa Italia games and maybe the last CL league match if we would have defeated Galatasaray.

Lippi after the match was very pissed off and did not let the interviewer ask him questions on the field. Later he said he was angry at Juve's first half and he cannot accept that.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++
I called it the third team because in the first and second team we have 20 first team players while in this team we have Primavera players (Olivera and Benjamin), players who never play (Fresi and Chimenti) and players who rarely play (Pessotto, Zala and Maresca). That's already 7 out of 11 players, so I guess yeah it is the third team which will only feature in Coppa Italia games and maybe the last CL league match if we would have defeated Galatasaray.

Lippi after the match was very pissed off and did not let the interviewer ask him questions on the field. Later he said he was angry at Juve's first half and he cannot accept that.
Well at least 9 players are benchwarmers (Chimenti, Ferrara, Tudor, Maresca, Miccoli, Zalayeta, Birindelli, Pessotto, and Davids) .. only Fresi and Olivera were 'outsiders' ..

Sep 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++

Well at least 9 players are benchwarmers (Chimenti, Ferrara, Tudor, Maresca, Miccoli, Zalayeta, Birindelli, Pessotto, and Davids) .. only Fresi and Olivera were 'outsiders' ..
benchwarmers for good. did pessotto at least played in this serie a campaign?

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++

I love Lippi, he's a ***** even when he wins :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Geez thanks for the flattering picture Hydde :groan::p

Man I'm so glad Benjamin scored, I had a feeling he'd come on and score. This is his first step toward Juve greatness, and I'm glad he took the chance when it was presented to him. :extatic:

++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++
My conclutions:
-Like the itaklin guys from RAI said..... Miccoli and Zalayeta dont do well together upfront.... that didnt understand each other.
That's probably because they're too different. Miccoli's small, pacy and very technical, while Zala's a big, lumbering oaf :p

++ [ originally posted by Hydde ] ++-
Miccoli and Benjamin are very fast players :dazed:
They can be a deadly combo IMO :thumb: with Di Vaio somewhere up there, it'd be awesome!

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Mmm, im still shocked about that ugly first half.

I think that is not even acceptable coming from jube bench players.

And taking in consideration that Siena played with a lot of benches too :(

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
Views from the other side of the Pond:

Well, after watching this match on videotape when I got home from work, I decided to share some observations that I made for all my friends out there (all 2 of you) who couldn't watch the game.

I won't comment on the match itself, as some people here either saw the game or have read other people's breakdowns of it. No, I'm going to give you my opinion on certain players and instances from the game.

For what it's worth:

-There should have been at least 2 penalties called on Juventus in this match, and I rewound the tape over and over each time, and I still came up with that same conclusion. The first one, on Ferrara, was blatant. He practically ripped the guys shirt off. Replays showed a big handful of Jersey. The 2nd instance, with Birindelli, was a little more vauge, but more often than not, a penalty is called.

-Chimenti didn't play as poorly as you would be led to believe. The goal which he conceded was off a wicked shot from close range that he got a hand on, but the deflection went right to rubino, and with no one marking him (which is my main complaint) it was like throwing a rock in the ocean.

-Birindelli and Pessotto are terrible. Plain and simple. Their 2nd half performance was a little better than their 1st, but it's not hard to improve on that abysmal display they gave us in the first 45 minutes. juve was abused up and down both wing positions, and Ferrara saved us with some timely tackles and interceptions.

-Davids has lost a step. I realize that it's "only" a Coppa Italia match, but if he wants more playing time, he'll need to put forth a much better effort than what he showed today. He had one nice through pass to Miccoli, and a decent 20 meter run, but that's it. His free kicks were awful, and I've never seen him get dispossesed so many times in one match.

-Tudor, I'm afraid, has been relegated to playing like a bully. Had some decent moments in the match, but mainly his purpose was to foul anyone within 5 feet of him.

-Oliveira really impressed me. I haven't gotten a chance to see him play that often, but here's my take on him: He's a big kid, with decent pace, and he's strong. He just brushes markers off of him like they were specks of dirt on his shoulders. Showed some good dribbling skills. He gets the ball into the attacking zone quickly, but he needs to work on his touch when passing. It's a shame that he couldn't be loaned out this year, because that is really hindering this kid's development. But, from what I saw, I like. His physical stature reminds me of Veron.

-Zalayeta played very well, also. The goal itself that he scored was nothing spectacular, a low shot that would've been stopped by a good GK, but his ability to create and his willingess to fall back on defense was something that I didn't know he had in him. Practically handed that goal to Benjamin, whcih was very unselfish, because he could've scored just as easily. On any other team, he would be getting a lot more playing time than he is.

-Benjamin is quick, lightning quick, with a wicked curve on his shot, sometimes too wicked, but there is talent there. He needs to build up his strength, as he was taken off the ball a few times.

-Maresca *sigh*:down: I expected a lot more from him today. Easily one of the worst players on the pitch. Aloof, careless, tries to push the ball forward with 50 meter passes all the time instead of dribbling. Not one of his most shining moments. Coppa Italia may be the only time this kid gets significant playing time.

-Miccoli and Benjamin are the two quickest players that Juve has, with or without the ball. Miccoli moved to midfield when benjamin came in, as lippi changed tactics to a 4-4-2, and didn't look totally out of place.

-Juve's infatuation with the offside-trap is going to catch up with these guys sooner or later. It just shows the glaring lack of footspeed and athleticsm that this defense has, even if it is the 2nd string defense. A lot of these guys must be replaced next year.

Positives- Zalayeta, Oliveira, Benjamin.

Negatives-Slow footed defense,Davids, Maresca, apparent Juve officiating bias(again)

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
you're welcome, Stu.

It was really nice to see some of these young kids play, such as oliveira and Benjamin. Hopefully in the return match, they will call up Kovalenko, and get him some playing time as well.

I'm watching the match again. Oliveira is like a diesel engiene when he gets going. He was supposed to be loaned out to Empoli, but then something happened. Was he injured? did he not want to go to Empoli?

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Incubo you from all people has to talk less considering your team and help they get out and on the pitch too. It's not just Juve, it's all big teams and you can't accept that then you're sad.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
USA JUventini... i managed to see the game after all.. and i recorded.. Ill try to see it again after the CL games.

WEll.. all what u said is true. U pointed very well every aspect. I just did it shorter because lately im too busy. Birindelli was a total disgrace in the first half... he didi just a performance dign of the one lucio did last week in the game brazil-Uruguay (shamefull).

See!! I told everybody that OLIVERA have something to be exploded!! U can see the talent in him!. Yesterday, his passes were not that good... but he can do much much more than that!. I saw him in the World Youth Tournamnet (S.america). He was Uruguay´s captian.. and he did very well in all the games.!!!! He have a good free kick shot too!.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)