I'm picking:

QF
    Argentina > Peru
    Columbia >> Costa Rica
    Paraguay > Uruguay
    Mexico > Brazil

SF
    Argentina > Paraguay
    Columbia > Mexico (rematch of the 2001 final, with similar results)

F
    Columbia > Argentina

OP
    Dragon

Dragon

Apr 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #66
    I dont think Colombia will win... but who knows. One thing thats for sure is that Argentina will reach the finals

Jul 19, 2003
    I'm really enjoying this Peru-Argentina match. Tevez saved Argentina's butt for now, and on the other side Solano struck a wonderful freekick from a similar position but he hit the upright-crossbar corner.

66' Peru 0-1 Argentina

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I don't think Peru deserved this match more. Argentina made more chances (and the 12-1 corner kicks stat was ridiculous). After Tevez came on for D'Alessandro and scored within a couple of minutes, Peru seemed to lose steam. Tevez had a very good game afterwards, though.

Speaking of South American defenders, Ayala -- who was in such good form towards the end of the year at Valencia -- got ejected for a pretty soft second yellow (we couldn't even see the first). But he wasn't too impressive in defense today.

In fact, both teams may appear to have put up good defensive efforts from the scoreline, but it looked to me more like hacking and limbs flying anywhere than anything deliberate and coordinated.

Jul 19, 2003
    IMO, in terms of clear-cut chances, Peru had more and they pretty much had more effectiveness in their play. Argentina seemed to dominate for most of the first half, but Peru was doing something with what little position they had. Anyway, I just felt sorry for them and wish I would've watched them before.

As for the Ayala 2nd yellow, it looked like an accident as if he was trying to prevent himself from falling onto the attacker......that stupid ref should've allowed Peru the advantage as it was a dangerous counter. Regarding that elbow in the face by Ayala, I'd have given him at least a yellow then....even though I couldn't see a hard blow, but the guy was bleeding. So something had to happen.

One more thing to add........Tevez is excellent.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
    I dont think Colombia will win... but who knows. One thing thats for sure is that Argentina will reach the finals
    Columbia isn't what it used to be. It's obviously a team weaker than its 2001 Copa America winning squad, and coach Rueda seems to be testing the waters now with a mix of young and old for WC readiness.

So while I wouldn't say they're favorites to win it by any means, I think they have the capacity to still pull a couple surprises. The best competition there hasn't fielded their 100% best, and Columbia has guys like Elkin Murillo -- now much more deadly on the wing than as a central striker (two excellent services lead to Columbia's two first half goals against Costa Rica just now) -- who can hang with the best of them.

Freddy

Feb 1, 2004
    Full Time

Urguay 3
    Paraguay 1

Urguay qualify to the semi final

But for God's Sake..there was a clear penelty for Paraguay after the second goal for Urguay

Jul 19, 2003
    FT: Mexico 0-4 Brazil

Scorers:

Alex (PK) 28'
    Adriano 66',79'
    Olivera 87'

Adriano caused all 4 goals. He was tripped by the keeper to gain the PK, scored the 2nd two, and assisted the 4th with a nice backheel. Inter has got a real gem.

I really like that RB for Brazil.......he was dark and bald and I don't think it's Luisao.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Adraino did very well against Mexico -- despite the criticism he'll (deservedly) get for taking a dive on that first goal.

But what I've always liked about his play is that it's very little sizzle and all steak -- which Brazilians aren't entirely known for. All the Kaka worshipping last season was largely founded on his "creative genius," while Adriano looked very short in that department and thus wasn't lauded nearly as much as a young prodigy. He looks like he lumbers slowly out on the pitch, makes smart and deliberate moves, and beats you with high-percentage shots and killer accuracy. Creativity definitely has its place, particularly in tight matches, but I'll take Adriano's workman-like skill over Kaka's artistry any day.

But great goalkeeping by Júlio César -- Mexico was spot on with a number of shots, and he helped make this more of a blowout than it really was on the pitch.

As for Uruguay, congrats to them. I think it's always good for soccer when a classic NT such as theirs is in the hunt. After they gave up the goal to Paraguay, they really seemed to turn up the offensive pressure. But ironically, it was their counter-attacks off great Paraguay chances that really put away the game for them.

I'm still seeing Columbia-Argentina in the final (I'm still expecting Brazil to find a way to fail against their South American competitors), which would be a great one.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by nosubstitute959 ] ++
    FT: Mexico 0-4 Brazil

Scorers:

Alex (PK) 28'
    Adriano 66',79'
    Olivera 87'

Adriano caused all 4 goals. He was tripped by the keeper to gain the PK, scored the 2nd two, and assisted the 4th with a nice backheel. Inter has got a real gem.

I really like that RB for Brazil.......he was dark and bald and I don't think it's Luisao .
    Maicon:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)