Controversy Thread part 2: Religious discussion (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Ok... how do you explain your belief in God? Where does it come from, how do you argue for it and do you ever have doubts? :)

OP
gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #5
    Okay so here goes..

++ [ originally posted by BloodOnMoral ] ++
    my point is that I don't like how people are using Him to conquer and destroy in the name of their own religion.
    Hmmm :down: that's very different from my view of God. I personally don't like the word 'religion', it makes me think of rituals and traditions and all that boring stuff, but for me, it's about a personal relationship and feeling the love of God:heart:.

The only reason I want to talk about this is that even though I don't know u very well, I care about u guys. I gain no personal benefit, even if you do end up believing what I say... I don't get money, I don't get credit points with God, but I just want as many people as possible to know (what I think is) the truth. The reason I believe these things is that I see the evidence of God's work and creation everywhere around me, and for everything to be made just by chance is just too hard for me to believe, and I think that we didn't evolve from monkeys or whatever... surely we're more special to God than that, and surely we were made for more than that...

I guess I can get into the rest of what I believe later, but I'll try to answer your question:

Okay, I'm pretty sure you've heard in religion class what Christians believe: that God created the universe, and made every animal unique. So the first thing that many people argue about is what happened in the first place... the two main theories are the Big Bang theory and Creation. The main thing I wonder about the Big Bang theory is... what happened before the BB? Science in itself says in itself:

First Law of Thermodynamics
    This law suggests that energy can be transferred from one system to another in many forms. However, it can not be created nor destroyed. Thus, the total amount of energy available in the Universe is constant.
    The obvious question is... where did the BB come from?

I'll break up my post into little pieces, so u can argue/discuss and that way it's not TOO long and boring...

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #6
    ++ [ originally posted by dj juve ] ++
    :eek: but christiany aint religion :)
    :confused: Why not?

++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    Ok... how do you explain your belief in God? Where does it come from, how do you argue for it and do you ever have doubts? :)
    1) Hmm this might take a while to get to and explain, plz bear with me
    2) That I shall do in this thread
    3) Yes, but when I think about other theories that I've heard... I have many more doubts about those.

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #11
    ++ [ originally posted by BloodOnMoral ] ++
    Whoa, too much, allow me 10 minutes to express myself please :)
    Hehe you think this is alot? Just you wait until i get started!

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Febrina ] ++
    I just wanna ask you who doesn't believe in God, it's just a simple question : who creates you, air, water and this earth then?
    most people will say, monkeys from a meteor and air from the explosion in the sun 1049378 bilions years ago bla bla bla :blah:

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Explained through science I guess but I don't really have a need to know absolutely everything.

But for those who say science can't explain it, wait and see, not all things are simple. We may not know now, we may never know, there is a possibility that the actual truth surpasses our means to understand. :)

Btw, who said time is an unlimited substance, has existed always and will always be present? ;)

BloodOnMoral

Jun 4, 2003
    Well here we go. First of all, I hope the content of my post won't hust anyone, because this is only my opinion and it doesn't have to be a correct and proper one, it's just mine. Consider that I'm only a 17 years old girl, who hasn't pass through the difficulties of life yet and who hasn't got enough experience to share.

There is, maybe, a God, that is true, because, during one of my famous talks with one of my poor victims - religion teachers - we've came to the idea : who created, after all, the small atom where from all our lives are coming ? Well ... this is like the hen and the egg you know. Who was the first ? And you'll never get the proper answer, because nobody will be here to prove it to you. Now my problem comes maybe from the different explanation each religion gives to God's appearing and the human creation. But there comes another question : where from has appeared God :) ?

BloodOnMoral

Jun 4, 2003

most people will say, monkeys from a meteor and air from the explosion in the sun 1049378 bilions years ago bla bla bla :blah:
    \
    Not needed. I think that here will come only those people who've got themselves a well-based theory about this, so you might have some surprises about how people around are thinking :)

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #16
    ++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
    There is a possibility that the actual truth surpasses our means to understand. :)
    Why aren't you a Christian yet?! :D

Just because we don't understand it (i mean cmon, think about urselves, none of us are that smart)...it doesn't mean it's not possible...

personally, if the God I believed in was completely in my comprehension and I understood everything about God and His will and ways, I don't think I'd be very impressed...I mean what's the point of having a God if he's not even special enough to surpass my meager intelligence?

For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength. - 1 Corinthians, Chpt 1 verse 25

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
    whatever..does it matter what happen...i believe in god, but u may believe in whatever...does it matter? why cant we just love each another :sob: :down:

OP
    gray

gray

Apr 22, 2003
  • Thread Starter #18
    Anyway, so however the universe came to be, let's talk about what happened afterwards...

so Evolutionists believe that somehow, from the bunch of chemicals and other junk floating around, a single-celled organism came to life (keep in mind that in all these years of brilliant modern science, one thing that scientists can't do is to create life. And shouldn't modern science be more advanced than a bunch of chemicals floating around?).

So this single-celled organism somehow survived the much harsher conditions of the Earth at the time (since the Earth, after the Big Bang was still boiling hot / covered with water... btw water has these exact properties that enable it to support life, but that i'll get to later) and then decided to evolve... so let's say that it decided that instead of living in the water, it wanted to walk on the land.

So after millions of years of trying (remember that the single-celled organism is still alive after all this time, even though the Earth was in chaos at the time... so that means there were no major incidents that would cause everything to be destroyed, right?), it manages to sprout legs (and survive on the land, which is, remember, boiling hot).

Now this organism doesn't need food or anything else to sustain it, because... yeah, just because dammit! After it makes these changes to its body, it also decides that it needs to reproduce, so that just incase it dies, there's another organism just like it, with all changes and evolution intact. Through the magical process called evolution, this happens, and suddenly there's two of them. One of them decides that he wants to become even more advanced, so he grows two more legs and becomes the first four-legged animal. (Mind you, throughout all this evolution, there were zero threats to the creatures...no fire, no meteorites, nothing to harm them)... and this process goes on and on, some of them decide they want to be plants, some of them want to be monkeys...*skip forward millions of years*...eventually they become humans...

Do you see where this is going? My point is, I hardly believe that all these changes could have been made and preserved, without a major extinction (caused by drought, fire, etc.) happening in those millions of years...

Febrina

Jul 17, 2002

Who made that all by the way? The monkeys, meteors, the sun? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)