Confederations Cup (11 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Yup. And Brazil has done it in a manner that has defied their quality of play, which has been shaky at best, IMO.

Roque Junior continued to prove he's the team's Achilles Heel, but I don't fault him for the shirt tug that lead to Germany's PK for their second goal. Adriano, who lumbers with his huge stature for a typical Brazilian player, was clearly man of the match. Emo seems to be huffing a lot, showing his age I'm afraid. But he's played well.

Huth looked like a lumbering fool out there against the quicker Brazilians. They need the likes of Lahm to be competitive. Kuranyi was worthless -- they should have pulled him far sooner. But otherwise, I have to say that Klinsmann has turned out not to be the complete dufus I expected him to be ... given how he was thrown into the coaching role under German distress.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
And what is it with fans running onto the field at the Confed Cup this year? The Brazil-Germany match was the second time I have personally seen that happen on a televised game this week.

I love the fact that Pablo Ramírez, the play-by-play announcer on Univision (who doesn't get enough credit in the shadows of Andres Cantor), calls them "locos" in a very matter-of-fact manner. :D

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Adriano's second goal was well taken, the first was a deflected free kick, Ronaldinho and Ballack scored from the spot, and Podolski headed home a German corner. Nothing to write home about, ADP Timers.

JuveBR

Jun 26, 2005
Brazil x Argentina in the final.

Argentina is good only playing at Argentina, now, in the Germany... haha

But, I think Mexico played better.

Roque Junior is very bad. Call Alex from PSV!! He is great!!

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I hope so.I can't understand why Crespo isn't in the team considering his 2 vital goals against Brasil in South America qualifying matches for the world cup.I also think Pekerman should use Teves and Aimar in the first team.
AND I still don't know why Sorin is the captain?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by JuveBR ] ++
Brazil x Argentina in the final.

Argentina is good only playing at Argentina, now, in the Germany... haha

But, I think Mexico played better.
Definitely. At first, I started the match pulling for Argentina ... although mostly so they could eliminate an IMO currently overrated Brazil in the final. But Mexico showed amazing grit against Argentina, just as they had in their 1-0 defeat of Brazil earlier in this tournament.

Marquez was playing in the old sweeper role, and yet Mexico was not showing us catenaccio -- they put together some of the more threatening and organized attacks in this match. In fact, Argentina's biggest defense at times seemed to be the goal post. Mexico's passing was more precise than Argentina's, and they looked more organized on both ends of the pitch.

Saviola was incredibly mobile, dodging between defenders, but he couldn't pass or playmake for his life. The cynical, late kick against a Mexican player that earned him his red card out of the match was a good catch by Rosetti. For a while Rosetti looked like he was being too lenient, but I think he ref'ed the match at about the right level to ensure the players won or lost the game -- and not him. There were calls that Coluccini's collision with Ramon Morales should have earned him an automatic red card, but he seemed to be following the ball for the most part. Marquez's forced tackle before regulation, which earned him his second yellow, could have saved Mexico from a late Argentina goal, but it was probably more foolish than anything in hindsight - as it squandered Mexico's man advantage at mid-field.

Mexico's goalie, Osvaldo Sanchez, is overrated in his home country, IMO, but this time he generally played a solid match.

So yes - overall, I thought Mexico played the better game. By the second half I was rooting for them. But they failed primarily at staving off Argentina's all-out offensive assault to equalize in the second extra period. That and, well, Sanchez let the ball roll underneath him.

Going to be an interesting final on Wednesday. Adriano seems to the primary reason for Brazil's success in this tournament thus far. But Argentina's back line has played a very good tournament themselves...it's probably been more their forwards and attack that have been lackluster.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
++ [ originally posted by king Ale ] ++
I hope so.I can't understand why Crespo isn't in the team considering his 2 vital goals against Brasil in South America qualifying matches for the world cup.I also think Pekerman should use Teves and Aimar in the first team.
AND I still don't know why Sorin is the captain?
They entire Argentina team is wearing black armbands, and I'm not sure what/who for (anyone?). Javier Zanetti was the captain in today's match, for his 100th cap. Sorin, on the other hand... :confused: Not sure what he's doing there in general.

Tevez has been a disappointment in this tournament thus far, though. Part of it could be that he's just part of that odd fall-out at Corinthians after a long, and relatively disappointing, campaign. Another reason was that against Brazil, Cicinho seemed to mark him really well.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
no I'm sure Sorin was captain against Mexico too.also I'm sure his caps isn't even half of Zanetti.
Saviola is out of form too.he sentoff against Mexico so I think Argentina will start with Tevez and Figuroa against Brasil.

Juve_The_Best

Nov 18, 2004
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++
Argentina deserves to win and I hope they do
:thumb:

++ [ originally posted by alex_samatar ] ++
argentina won
i hope argentina will win the con cup
me too

++ [ originally posted by king Ale ] ++

Saviola is out of form too.he sentoff against Mexico so I think Argentina will start with Tevez and Figuroa against Brasil.
i don't know why did not peckerman ask Julio cruz instead of crespo on this touranment ?

++ [ originally posted by ADP Timers ] ++
anyone got any clips of the brazil - germany game? goals? would like to see adrianos.

Adriano

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Argantina won in penalties 6-5 against mexico , i cant believe neither brazil or argentina can beat a team like mexico:confused:

Sep 14, 2004
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
Argantina won in penalties 6-5 against mexico , i cant believe neither brazil or argentina can beat a team like mexico:confused:
I think you should stfu I'm mexican and If you didn't watch the games then don't say anything because mexico played better than them k thx

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
Mexico are a better team than you give them credit for. They may not have the big name players that Brazil and Argentina have but they can get the job done.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Ditto. Mexico was one of the toughest teams in the tournament, and they had a real gameplan -- which Argentina and Brazil, IMO, seem to lack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 11)