Claudio Marchisio (19 Viewers)

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
The times he played CM he looked average aswell.
:tup:

Many people are forgetting or dont underdstand that del neri's 4-4-2 is actually a lopsided 4-3-3, so if Marchisio is naturally a central midfielder, does it makse such a huge difference for him to be playing on the left side of a central trio??? Melo has a job, which he does far better than marchisio has ever shown. Aquilani has a job, which he does far better than marchisio has ever shown...don't get me wrong, i want claudio to stay with us, his attitude is wicked, he has decent technique, and he can be a wicked reserve to mainly Melo, if we ever get a proper left winger...but so many people seem to see him as something very special, yet i rate him as a less imposing darren fletcher. A player who, perhaps, could improve with a better manager, but presently, and over this whole season, and last, he has not progressed in the slightest. The fact that he is played 'out of position' by not just del neri, but also, wildly so, by Lippi last summer, suggests that he is not as good as those playing in his favoured position...which is what???? the middle or right of a central midfield trio??? where is this natural position for marchisio???

i want him to stay, but out of our three decent out and out midfielders, he is definitely behind Melo, and also behind Aquilani, for me...the midfield is immensely importance in terms of presence. Marchisio has technique, good pace, intelligence, allegiance to the shirt, but a constant presence??? not in the slightest...

Buy on AliExpress.com

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
:tup:

Many people are forgetting or dont underdstand that del neri's 4-4-2 is actually a lopsided 4-3-3, so if Marchisio is naturally a central midfielder, does it makse such a huge difference for him to be playing on the left side of a central trio??? Melo has a job, which he does far better than marchisio has ever shown. Aquilani has a job, which he does far better than marchisio has ever shown...don't get me wrong, i want claudio to stay with us, his attitude is wicked, he has decent technique, and he can be a wicked reserve to mainly Melo, if we ever get a proper left winger...but so many people seem to see him as something very special, yet i rate him as a less imposing darren fletcher. A player who, perhaps, could improve with a better manager, but presently, and over this whole season, and last, he has not progressed in the slightest. The fact that he is played 'out of position' by not just del neri, but also, wildly so, by Lippi last summer, suggests that he is not as good as those playing in his favoured position...which is what???? the middle or right of a central midfield trio??? where is this natural position for marchisio???

i want him to stay, but out of our three decent out and out midfielders, he is definitely behind Melo, and also behind Aquilani, for me...the midfield is immensely importance in terms of presence. Marchisio has technique, good pace, intelligence, allegiance to the shirt, but a constant presence??? not in the slightest...
I wonder how many of you actually played the sport :sergio:

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
I wonder how many of you actually played the sport :sergio:
I played at primary school, secondary school, university, and since then, i was player manager of a team from where i worked, off and on for 7 years...Only stopped playing when I moved here to australia. And ALWAYS, at whatever level, unless a midfielder had bags of skill, their definite job was to impose themselves on the middle of the pitch, to put themselves about, make their presence well known to the opposition. pretty basic midfield duties really...england is one of a handful of countries where football is daily presence in your life, for the vast majority of males...as can be seen by the extremely high number of leagues we have, professional, semi professional and non professional. Its part of the staple diet...

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
natural - it's the second time you call it neutral :D

While what you say has logic, I think it's not true for this particular case, or at least it's not the decisive factor in Marchisio's performances. Just like in the previous two seasons, when he played in his natural position, Claudio this year had some 4-5 brilliant matches, some good matches where he did what was asked from him and performed a strictly tactical role, but he also had a good number of matches where tactics weren't the reason why he played bad and looked indifferent to what is happening on the pitch.
Shame on me. I think I just miss Neutral the member :D

I don't know but I really don't see him as invisible as some of you. I see him contributing a lot even if I'm not impressed at times. But I think if he plays straight 5-6 matches as CM he will look totally different than how some of you see and evaluate him IMO.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Shame on me. I think I just miss Neutral the member :D

I don't know but I really don't see him as invisible as some of you. I see him contributing a lot even if I'm not impressed at times. But I think if he plays straight 5-6 matches as CM he will look totally different than how some of you see and evaluate him IMO.
i would like to see this happen. As I do believe he has potential to be so much more than he has been for a while now...

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
While what you say has logic, I think it's not true for this particular case, or at least it's not the decisive factor in Marchisio's performances. Just like in the previous two seasons, when he played in his natural position, Claudio this year had some 4-5 brilliant matches, some good matches where he did what was asked from him and performed a strictly tactical role, but he also had a good number of matches where tactics weren't the reason why he played bad and looked indifferent to what is happening on the pitch.
His numbers are good this year. Better than the previous seasons. With 4 goals, 4 assists and 1 goal that was his but counted as an owngoal for Genoa's keeper he's our top performing midfielder after Milos, with much better numbers than his partners in midfield Melo and Aquilani. No matter if he played CM, LM or was one of the trio midfielders (when we played 4-3-3), his performances in all these positions are same/similar. In all these positions he had great/good/average/bad matches.
I know that the way this team plays (too inconsistent) reflects on how the individuals play. Krasic, Del Piero, Melo, Chiellini all had good and bad matches, just like Claudio. But unlike the mentioned above, who played bad when the entire team played bad, with Marchisio it's a little different because even when the team played well, he knows to be invisible and useless. In the previous years his youth and inexperience were excusing such attitude. Now he's 25 and he must make the step in quality and consistency. He must take more responsibility and even lead the team instead of simply disappearing and playing a good match once a month.
You'd expect Aquilani to have the best stats/numbers of our midfield, after Krasic. Especially since both Melo and/or Marchisio usually put in a lot more extra defensive effort, in order to allow Aqui to play his usual game.

Flamez

Feb 7, 2011
Not really.

Aquilani just puts himself too much in our defensive duties and that's one more reason for his underperforming. I think he should play ahead on the pitch, with Melo and Marchisio being the more defensive minded midfielders.

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
Not really.

Aquilani just puts himself too much in our defensive duties and that's one more reason for his underperforming. I think he should play ahead on the pitch, with Melo and Marchisio being the more defensive minded midfielders.
He really, really doesn't. Most of the time at least.

While you see Melo or Marchisio running back, you see him calmly strolling back. Just take a close look at the Roma game, there were several instances where, after we lost the ball & Roma started their (counter) attack, Marchisio was (way) ahead of Aquilani, only to sprint back & overtake Aquilani.
Now, this may very well have something to do with what the coach asks of both players, and it's very likely even. But that obviously doesn't explain my earlier remark.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Not really.

At the start of the season this was true, ever since it's not true. The problem isn't that he puts himself too much in defensive duties, but it's that he doesn't put himself enough in attacking duties, which is, imo, clearly a demand from DN and a result of Krasic's presence in the team. We have a coach and mentality where more than 3 players in attack, and even more- 2 midfielders, is a sin so if one of our midfielders plays in attack and doesn't track back, then the other midfielders shouldn't even think about entering the opponents' box.
The lack of black and white shirts in the opponent's box isn't just a result of bad reading of the game from our players or lack of stamina to run up and down (it is to some extent, though), but it has more to do with the instructions from our bench.
That leaves Aquilani looking like a ghost in nobody's land, not attacking and not defending.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
the same was with diego alen. he was lost between the opposite mid and defence because there was no one but melo to get a one - two. Our strikers, except del piero in some cases remained high, not coming to the short pass. The stamina is missing so that's why we need wingbacks.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
Agree, and it also relates to something I was about to post regarding Marchisio; he looks like a player who is shackled tactically. That's not necessarily a problem if it's working, but it clearly hasn't been overall.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
What about me, Ahmettt? :cry:

I'm deleting you from my blackberry messenger.
dude you rock, nothing needs to be said :heart:

so much unwarranted & OTT criticism.

if everybody else did what they were supposed to do as regularly and consistently as Claudio, we wouldn't be praying for a CL spot right now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)