[CL] Juventus vs Arsenal (3 Viewers)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
Good luck to Milan and hard luck to Lyon who played very well. Villareal with Riqelme were just pure class whereas Inter were, well ,Inter. I hope Materazzi gets banned for life as this idiot has no business on a football pitch elbowing Sorin like that.
After watching substitutions in both games,it becomes rather apparent that our anemic side is leading serieA comfortably. Yes Ancelotti got away with it but wht the hell was that? Ambrossini for Pirlo and maldini for Gatusso? Well I think they could go on for 94 minutes because most of them didnt play on saturday (hint Capello)
As for Mancini, going out to Villareal is bad enough but for heaven's sakes what the hell is bringing on Mihalovic for Figo about?.
Well tomorrow will see us try to overcome 2-0 deficit, anyother manager, i would still be very hopeful, with Capello, I just cannot see it.
If we do start with Giannichedda then theres no chance in hel as far as i can see.
But football brings up many strange things

Forza-Fortuna

Apr 1, 2006
I honestly think Werder Bremen would have given Arsenal a more stern test, getting in their face upping the tempo when the opponent is fast paced, not being afraid to get tackles in, in general rising to the occaision.

And despite losing, no one could say Juventus DESERVED to go through, with all that damn time wasting and lack of penetration. If Arsenal do go through, then good luck to them, because I won't exactly be holding a grudge just because they beat the team in front of them.

I blame the bosses at Juve, for allowing there to be a squad, that is not worthy of the name, of the shirt, of the stadia, of the fans and of the occaision.

May there be a nice and huge summer clearout, probably at least 6 or 7 that need to be given the hump.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Juventus facing elimination yet again

TURIN, Italy (AP) -- Juventus came close to elimination in the previous round of the Champions League before a goalkeeping blunder let it through.

It's even closer to exiting the quarterfinals ahead of Wednesday's second leg against Arsenal after losing last week's first match 2-0.

The Italian league leader must do without defender Jonathan Zebina, and midfielders Mauro Camoranesi and Patrick Vieira because of suspension, replacing them with Giorgio Chiellini, Adriano Mutu and Giuliano Giannichedda.

However, the most important addition to Juve's lineup could be midfielder Pavel Nedved, who was suspended from the opening leg.

"Pavel is a player that changes the rhythm of games, he will be decisive tomorrow when we will have no choice but to attack from the start," Juventus coach Fabio Capello said Tuesday.

Brazil midfielder Emerson, who scored the decisive goal in the 88th minute of the last round when Werder Bremer goalkeeper Tim Wiese dropped the ball, will likely be asked to attack more from midfield.

Only three teams in Champions League history have recovered from a two-goal deficit to advance over two games. Barcelona did it against Chelsea in 1999-2000, while Deportivo La Coruna and Monaco did it against AC Milan and Real Madrid respectively in 2003-04.:cry: :cry:

Things don't look good, with strikers Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Trezeguet struggling. Ibrahimovic hasn't scored since January and Trezeguet hardly touched the ball at Highbury last week. Both forwards played poorly in Sunday's 0-0 Italian league draw with last-place Treviso.

Juventus captain Alessandro Del Piero has not recovered from a left thigh injury and was left off the roster.

Capello wasn't giving up, though.

"Sometimes miracles happen. We have to be confident. We're convinced we can do something really exceptional," he said.

The two-time European champion lost to another English team -- Liverpool -- in last year's quarterfinals after losing away. A 2-1 loss was followed by a 0-0 draw in Turin.

Arsenal, which has never reached the semifinals, surprised Juve in the opening leg with a youthful attack led by 18-year-old midfielder Cesc Fabregas, who opened the scoring before Thierry Henry sealed the victory.

Now the Gunners will need to rely on their defense. Arsenal has gone seven straight Champions League games without conceding, equaling AC Milan's record-setting feat last season.

Arsenal followed its opening leg win over Juventus with Saturday's 5-0 rout of Aston Villa, in which Henry scored twice to take his season tally to 27 in all competitions.

"It is good to go to Turin on the back of a result like that against Villa but the Champions League is another competition," Henry said. "Juventus at home are a completely different proposition to the team we played at Highbury."

Fabregas should be able to play Wednesday despite picking up a foot injury against Villa. Defender Emmanuel Eboue was also a doubt with a groin injury.

England defender Sol Campbell is available if Eboue can't play, although Campbell hasn't played for the first team in two months.

"This will be the most difficult game of our Champions League campaign this season," Henry added. "What we have done so far will be irrelevant if we do not reach the semifinals."

Associated Press

delpi25

Jul 16, 2002
with Del Piero out i see little chance of qualifying to the semi finals.

i just hope that after were knocked out we dont get a speech from capello saying......oh yes juve have learnt from this and this result will give us the motivation to get our season back on track.....that sounds so bad. After being a fan of cap when he was at milan, real and roma, i saw a great manager. 2 years at juve i see some1 like trappatoni who is getting old and outta touch with the game...with a team like juventus i could win the scudetto, but it takes greater managerial skills to work a team around Serie A, Coppa Italia and Champions League. Trezeguet cant do it all and zlatan isn't gonna help..Play DP or Zalayeta you idiot!!

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
PhRoZeN said:
:agree:

physically stronger, and clearly a better finisher. We dont want any fancy tricks on the day from ibrah (whose most likely gonna start anyway) and then find he just loses the ball or gets his pants caught up in a twist.

Well Said, thats exactly what we need with Nedved's presence all we need is good finishers...and as far as I know Zalayeta is better finisher than Zlatan.

giovanotti said:
YEEEEAAAAAAA Villarreal rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would die to meet Villa in semi-finals....yet we have to eliminate Arsenal....

giovanotti said:
Gattuso out---Maldini in..?????Looks like Capello's idea,
Not really gio.....Ancelotti is way better than Capello when It comes to (Subs).

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
i just hate this, milan again winning with late goals, like last season against psv, and like against ajax in 2002/2003 season, how they always do that, i just hate it. barcelona just has to knock them out, i cant stand another milan final. :(

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Serie A Still Shaking From Wenger Win

You probably saw Arsenal v Juventus last week, and would have been impressed by the energy, invention and nerve of Wenger’s Junior Goonies. It is also highly likely that the unwatchable performance and petulance of the Italian champions surprised you.

However, there is one thing that won’t have been noted outside of Italy - the massive impact these 90 minutes have had on not just the Turin side, but calcio as a whole. From Monsieur Henry to Cesc, that night in north London has left a nation a little troubled.

The most obvious repercussion was the return of the regrets surrounding Thierry Henry’s premature departure from Serie A, which resurfaced thanks to his quality goal and the way he made national captain Fabio Cannavaro look like a flat-footed rugby player.:pumpkin: Ever since Henry arrived in the Premiership, his goals have been shown here in Italy, but the press and Juve directors laughed off the idea that he was sold too quickly by pointing out that he was only doing it against run-of-the-mill English sides. Then there were his tepid showing in the World Cup in 2002 and Euro 2004 - only two goals and one red card in both tournaments.

However, this season the French-Caribbean goal whippet has started to demonstrate that he may be ready to fulfil his potential by scoring against some big names, most gloriously at the Bernabeu.

Then when he netted skilfully against the much-lauded 'Juventus dei record' (Juventus of records) people took notice. And the for the first time Bianconeri fans and staff alike pondered whether they fluffed it badly when they booted him out. Of the seven league matches he played out of the first 25 at the beginning of the 98’99 season, his average vote in the Gazzetta dello Sport was a lowly 5.36 out of 10 - the lowest for any foreigner making his exordium in black and white in recent years. To make it worse he didn’t get any goals. So they flogged him to Arsenal. And then, as we all know, he found his niche.

The other thing that made the headlines was the 40,000 Euro fine that nutcase winger Mauro Camoranesi had to pay for his stupid red card at Highbury. The Argentine-born hothead won’t play in tomorrow’s match and will have a slightly lighter wallet as a result of his (umpteenth) moment of madness. He isn’t the only person in the camp to be a little short-temerred though - Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic had an amusing row with Juve assistant manager and Alessio Secco after being subbed in Saturday’s 0-0 draw with bottom club Treviso. It is now three games since a forward scored for the men in black and white, and their last goal was from midfielder Emerson the Puma against Roma a few weeks ago.

Alex Del Piero is out of the tie with an injured left thigh, and all the pressure will be on David Trezeguet to end the drought, although he needs service. Despite the enforced absences of Patrick Vieira and Crazy Camoranesi, Arsenal will have to be wary of the returning Pavel Nedved, who can win a match with his long-range shooting or theatrical power-diving in the blink of an eye.

On a wider note, the staggeringly low age of Arsene Wenger’s crew left Serie A’s big clubs in awe, and instigated a little self-examination. One of the main sports dailies made a comparison between 18-year-old Cesc Fabregas and Milan defender Billy Costacurta, born in 1966, to illustrate the different outlooks on age between football in England and Italy. The maturity and class that Li’l Cecil Fibreglass showed last Tuesday smashed any myths about experience being a must in the Champions League,:wth: :wth: :wth: and the big three here (Inter, Milan and The Old Lady) are set to review the relative Dad’s Army nature of their starting XIs. If it works for the Arse, why can’t it work for everyone?

Whatever the outcome in the second leg, the psychological damage has been done, and the Wenger philosophy has woken a few people up in the world of calcio. Maybe young players a la Henry at Juve and Paddy Vieira (who was released as a wee lad by AC Milan) should be given more time to settle, and perhaps it is time to add some young blood to the creaking bodies at the San Siro and Stadio delle Alpi.

Even if the FIAT club conquer Thierry and pals, the lesson has been learnt and things may be different next season...and that will be a small victory in itself for a man like Arsene Wenger.

Sheridan Bird

kenny_shev

Oct 30, 2003
Why do you people think it's luck ?? Although we werent at our best against Lyon, we were fighting to the very end. A football match is played for a full 90 mins. Lyon let their guards down and they had to pay for it. I think we have earned our qualification and thoroughly deserved it.

Good luck against Asernal tomorrow! Our win should inspire and motivate your players. So get out there and do Italy proud!!

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
kenny_shev said:
Why do you people think it's luck ?? Although we werent at our best against Lyon, we were fighting to the very end. A football match is played for a full 90 mins. Lyon let their guards down and they had to pay for it. I think we have earned our qualification and thoroughly deserved it.

Good luck against Asernal tomorrow! Our win should inspire and motivate your players. So get out there and do Italy proud!!
because it happens so often, like i said, against ajax 2002/2003, then last season against psv and now against lyon.

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Our formal list for the match:

1 Buffon
2 Birindelli
3 Chiellini
6 Kovac
7 Pessotto
8 Emerson
9 Ibrahimovic
11 Nedved
14 Balzaretti
17 Trezeguet
18 Mutu
19 Zambrotta
20 Blasi
21 Thuram
22 Bonnefoi
23 Giannichedda
24 Olivera
25 Zalayeta
28 Cannavaro
32 Abbiati

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)