..::CL FINAL::.. Juventus - Milan (6 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

walu_ex

May 18, 2003
There's a lot of talk about who the underdogs are. Liippi says it's Milan. Ancelotti says it's Juve. I personally think the scudetto has no influence on who the favourites are. These are two elite teams, Juve are more consistent, but this is a one off game. And if anyone has an advantage, it's Ancelotti because he knows Juve players very well. He knows which Juve players handle pressure well, and which ones don't. So he'll field a lineup to expoit his first hand experience of the bianconeri players that he coached.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by walu_ex ] ++
There's a lot of talk about who the underdogs are. Liippi says it's Milan. Ancelotti says it's Juve. I personally think the scudetto has no influence on who the favourites are. These are two elite teams, Juve are more consistent, but this is a one off game. And if anyone has an advantage, it's Ancelotti because he knows Juve players very well. He knows which Juve players handle pressure well, and which ones don't. So he'll field a lineup to expoit his first hand experience of the bianconeri players that he coached.
Are you sure that Ancelotti actually knows our players, because the only thing he did at Juve was frig us up, so I wouldn't be too sure that Carletto will know how to stop us, cause he surely didn't know how to make us work.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by -Fantasista- ] ++

Are you sure that Ancelotti actually knows our players, because the only thing he did at Juve was frig us up, so I wouldn't be too sure that Carletto will know how to stop us, cause he surely didn't know how to make us work.
Yeah, that's true actually...if he did actually did know our players well, I think he could have done more with the players we had during his management here...

I personally think that managers won't have too much effect, it'll be down to the player's mental strength in the situation... which I think Juve has more of :thumb:

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Oh,, just a image in my mind......

Imagine that we have reached the final with any other coach, and guess what?, Lippi being AC Milan coach!!!!.

In that situation, i really would be scared to the bones.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by walu_ex ] ++
You really can't blame the coach when you give away the scudetto on the last day.
I agree, it probably wasn't Ancelotti's fault that we gave it away on the last day... but with the squad we had (which I think was pretty strong at the time), we shouldn't even have been in that situation. True, Lazio had Nedved at the time, but I think that with the quality of the players Ancelotti had in his hands, he should have sealed the Scudetto at least 2 or 3 weeks ahead of the end of the season.

maikanana

Apr 10, 2003
the year 2003 is juve and i am very sure we are coming out on harm from the old trafford arena, i know the final will be too dicey for both teams know each other hundred years back;but i am damm too sure is juve.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
++ [ originally posted by maikanana ] ++
the year 2003 is juve and i am very sure we are coming out on harm from the old trafford arena, i know the final will be too dicey for both teams know each other hundred years back;but i am damm too sure is juve.
We can only hope so. Only one more match...we should be confident after scoring 4 goals against Chievo (although those 3 goals against are a bit worrying...but then again, we were without Davids and Tacchi). Milan also lost to Piacenza. I know these aren't full strength squads, but it's a good sign ahead of the CL

Huzi

Oct 9, 2002
let's take look of some Milan key players heading for the final on wednesday :

Clarence Seedorf (midfielder) Born: 01.04.76 Nationality: Dutch

After the Dutch international injured his knee during the first leg of his side's quarter-final tie against Ajax the club said his season was over. But six weeks later and Seedorf returned to face his old Club Inter in the semi final and helped Milan to the Champions League final.

While is fitness remains in doubt he is a versatile, skilful and experienced midfielder with a dangerous shot.

Has already won two Champions League Finals, first with Ajax in 1995 and Real Madrid in 1998 and as such is in line for a spectacular third European Cup victory with a third club.

Filippo Inzaghi (forward) Born: 09.08.73 Nationality: Italian

A tendency to writhe around in faux-agony at the merest hint of contact with defenders has won 'Pippo' few neutral fans, but there is no denying that the younger brother of Lazio's Simone is a gifted goal poacher.

Despite a enjoying little success in the 2002 World Cup he has been one of Milan form players this term and rightly revered for his alert play in and around the six-yard box.

He moved to Milan in a £26 million deal from Juventus in the summer of 2001, and proved himself worthy of the price tag in this season's Champions League with eight goals in the first phase, including a great hat-trick against Deportivo

Gennaro Gatuso (midfielder) Born: 09.01.78 Nationality: Italian

A fearsome midfield competitor Gattuso is the perfect complement to the creative touches of Rui Costa and Andrea Pirlo.

The gritty, full-blooded player is firm favourite amongst the Milan supporters, but there is more to his game than muscle. Benefiting from a deft touch Gattuso has more guile than many give him credit for, capable of switching play with an insightful pass whether in central midfield or on the right wing.

He has been with Milan since 1999, having previously turned out for Perugia and Salernitana in Italy, as well as Glasgow Rangers from 1997 to 1998. Gattuso graduated to international football last year featuring in Italy's World Cup campaign.

Andrea Pirlo (midfielder) Born: 19.05.79 Nationality: Italian

Pirlo has been nothing short of a revelation for the Rossoneri this season cementing his role as Ancelotti's playmaker with pivotal performances in the Champions League.

Playing from a deep midfield position Pirlo's précising passing created problems opposition until they learnt how to shut him down, but he quickly adapted and remains a considerable threat.

The former Italian Under 21s, who is often compared to Roberto Baggio, is behind the majority of the team's approach play, rarely wasting a pass and playing with an abundance of guile and vision.

Rui Costa (midfielder) Born: 29.03.72 Nationality: Portuguese

Despite being plagued by injury during in his first season at the San Siro last year following a £28million move from Fiorentina, the Portuguese player has finally had a chance to shine and when he plays well so do Milan.

Last time Milan played Juventus, Rui Costa provided the defence-splitting pass for team mate Filippo Inzaghi to score the winning goal.

One of the most talented players to emerge from Portugal in recent years, Costa is a high-class playmaker and first-rate dribbler.

Andrii Shevchenko (forward) Born: 29.09.76 Nationality: Ukrainian

At his best Ukrainian international Shevchenko is almost the perfect striker. Quick with or without the ball, he has a tremendous shot, the ability to take on defenders and a deft touch, marry this with his alert footballing brain and you've got the finished article.

His partnership with Inzaghi has proved prolific this term and he managed to secure the vital away goal against Inter to secure Milan passage to the final.

He joined Milan from Dynamo Kyiv in 1999 and scored goals a plenty in his first couple of seasons, but at times this term has seemed a little short on confidence, however his all-important goal against Inter will almost certainly earn him a start in the final.

walu_ex

May 18, 2003
I'd like to add to that list of milan danger-men.

1. Massimo Ambrosini is quite a gem ( Juve wanted to sign him ),
2. Kakhaber Kaladze can be a serious pain in the ass ( took Figo out of the game ) and will probably mark whoever replaces Nedved - maybe even mark them right out of the game :)

I could go on forever talking about this team ( which is deeper that Juve's ), but it's not necessary right here.

these two teams just know each other too well ( as many have pointed out ), so I guess that means it'll be a battle of passion-flair-style and technique ( Milan ) vs. hard work-grit-cynicism and determination ( Juve ). I'm feeling confident with each passing day, If Milan win, hopefully you'll comprehend how amazing this present team is, If Juve win, I'll congratulate you all for pulling off a a victory that will always remain in your hearts.

Predicted Line-Up (Milan):

--------Shevchenko--Inzaghi

-----------------Rui Costa

----Seedorf----Ambrosini---Gattuso

Kaladze---Maldini---Nesta---Costacurta

---------------------Dida

Predicted line-up (Juve)

--------------------------Trezeguet

------------Del Piero

----------Davids

--------------------------------------Thuram

---------------Buffon

(tongue in cheek)

OP

Trezeguet_FC

Mar 26, 2003
  • Thread Starter #156
    tongue in cheek? haha must be thinking your in a different forum
    :LOL:

anyways i dont think you can define juve by "hard work-grit-cynicism and determination ( Juve ). " they are all true but there is more to juve than that. Juve also have technique, flair, styel passion. did you see our real game? i think that game had more flair than any ac game this season!

however dont get me wrong, ac have a highly capable squad of beating juve, while juve have the same ability. It is just too close to call!

danielão

Jul 12, 2002
    Buffon article from uefa.com Magazine...

Juventus FC's outfield players may have won the headlines for this season, but as the Turin side prepare for their UEFA Champions League final against AC Milan, goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon deserves his share of the credit.

The self-effacing No1 was in peerless form as the Serie A side reached Wednesday's final in Manchester, justifying the massive €52m fee that Juve paid Parma AC for him in July 2001. Twice a Serie A champion since then, Buffon now has the chance to add the Champions League crown to the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup medal he won with Parma in 1998/99.

As Juventus' moment of truth approached, the 25-year-old was looking forward to competing in the biggest game of his professional career. "It is the Champions League final and it is being played in one of the best stadiums in the world," he told uefa.com. "It will be something special."

Fresh from winning their 27th Italian title, Juventus' defence is a fiercely effective unit, having conceded just 26 goals after 33 Serie A games. The only other side to have shipped as few are their opponents on Wednesday, Milan. However, Buffon maintained that two mean defences did not mean one dull final.

"Having two Italian teams in a final doesn't necessarily mean that it will be a defensive game," he said. "We showed against Real Madrid [CF, who Juve beat in the semi-finals] that this season it is the Italian teams playing the best football in Europe. I can't see any reasons for it not to be a great game."

The goalkeeper is well aware of Milan's attacking threat, saying: "They are not dependent on players like Filippo Inzaghi and Andriy Shevchenko so it won't be enough stopping just those two. When you consider that they can leave players such as Rivaldo on the bench you realise just how strong their squad is."

However, Buffon believes that by keeping cool heads, Juventus have every chance of success in the final. "It is important for us to show the same spirit and focus as we did [winning 3-1] against Madrid at the Stadio Delle Alpi," he said. "The team that can focus solely on the game and not the fact that it is a Champions League final will win."

Buffon was not surprised to see Juve and their Serie A peers performing so well in this season's competition, despite a few barren years. "I think that the Italian teams have been wrongly criticised in the past," he said. "We [Italian teams] have had some poor seasons but now we are back."

Juventus's own barren run in the Champions League has lasted seven years, but having lost in the 1996/97 and 1997/98 finals, the Turin side's determination to seek victory at all costs has rubbed off on the goalkeeper. "At this stage of the season, the only aim can be to win games," he said.

It will be in that spirit that Buffon and Juve will take to the pitch at Old Trafford. However, with his side's mix of style and steel, the goalkeeper is hoping the two sides could create a footballing spectacle to match the prestige of the occasion.

"We have showed in the past that we can be very well organised and focused but also that we can play some nice football," he said. "I can't remember that many entertaining or 'beautiful' Champions League finals but let's hope for one this time around."

walu_ex

May 18, 2003
    Compared to Milan, Juve has less style, and less technique. If I could have it my way, my Milan would be built around those words I used to describe Juve. Anyway, this is from Football Italia:

==============================================

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ancelotti's Old Trafford doubts Sunday 25 May, 2003

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carlo Ancelotti has revealed how Milan will approach Wednesday’s Old Trafford showdown with Juventus.

“We are relaxed and ready for this ultimate test,” insisted the tactician, “but I will only decide on the starting line-up on Monday.”

The Champions’ League Final is fast approaching and the Rossoneri rested almost the entire squad for yesterday’s 4-2 defeat at Piacenza.

“It was a game that did not count for either side, so there was no reason to risk more injuries. Including the goalkeeper, I have three doubts to work through before the Final.”

Dida has been out for a couple of weeks with a thumb injury, but Ancelotti has already confirmed that if the Brazilian is fit then he will start in goal. Failing that, Christian Abbiati will take charge.

As for the remaining two question marks, the Coach will not be drawn on tactical changes to take on Juventus.

“We are not working on any particular adjustments to our normal play,” he insisted. “The next training session will be behind closed doors, but I can reveal that the doubts I have are based on what kind of approach we will take.”

Milan have played Juventus twice in Serie A this season, falling 2-1 in Turin and winning at the San Siro with the same scoreline.

“It is Juve who must work to change their side in order to make up for the absence of the suspended Pavel Nedved,” he noted.

Ex-midfielder Ancelotti moves towards his most important test as a Coach.

“I was Arrigo Sacchi’s assistant manager in the 1994 World Cup Final,” he explains, “but I obviously feel more responsible for this Champions’ League showdown.”

Always considered something of a nearly man in Italian football, he now has the opportunity to win two trophies.

“Our season has been very good so far, but it can become extraordinary if we can lift the Champions’ League and Coppa Italia.”

walu_ex

May 18, 2003
    Milan obviously has better individual players than Juve, Lippi just seems to be able to get a little bit more out of his players...

Oh, and does anyone know why Tacchinardi never plays for the Azzuri? Pirlo, Ambro and Gattuso all do.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)