[CL] Champions League 2012/13 (8 Viewers)

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Milan were far from terrible, but that was never going to be enough. The big difference from the first game was that Barca were miles better.

With Alves and Pedro playing high and wide, Milan's back four were stretched much wider than they had been in the first game. Add to that Milan's defence actually having to play against a CF, too, and it was far, far harder for them to deny Barca space this time around.

Actually, I thought Milan's defence did okay. By my reckoning, they restricted Barca to three shots from outside the box (they scored two of them) and one clear chance (the third goal). I'm not including the fourth goal, because that was irrelevant.

Barca, for periods at least, also pressed with greater intensity than I've seen from them in quite a while. That made it far harder for Milan to have any control over the tempo or to at least hold the ball long enough to give the defence a rest.

The real failing on Milan's part, to my mind, was how wasteful their forwards were. Poor decisions, poor passes and poor finishing meant they wasted opportunities and dangerous situations that had to result in one goal (Niang's chance) and should probably have resulted in at least one more.

There was never any real prospect of Milan progressing tonight without scoring.

Still, I thought Allegri could have changed things once it was apparent Barca were playing with a back three and two wingers.

Leaving the back four to play Alves, Pedro and Villa and get stretched out seemed odd to me. I'd have had a midfielder or a winger marking Alves so that Constant could play narrow and keep things more compact. That would also have made it easier for Milan to close down the space between defence and midfield, because they couldn't really get the CBs sqeezing up when they had to deal with Villa. A third defender in that area would have allowed them to be more aggressive.

In retrospect, one would also have to say it was a mistake for Milan to start with Niang. Not so much because of the missed chance, but because his complete failure to hold on to the ball at any stage did not allow Milan to get up the pitch a bit rather than being pinned back.

Can't help but feel Milan were somewhat unfortunate the way the fixtures fell and results went. If Barca hadn't taken two beatings off Real between the two legs, Milan may well have got to face the same static, lethargic Barca they played at San Siro. Instead, Barca were fired up and had corrected a lot of the faults that had been apparent in them losing those big games recently.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Milan were far from terrible, but that was never going to be enough. The big difference from the first game was that Barca were miles better.

With Alves and Pedro playing high and wide, Milan's back four were stretched much wider than they had been in the first game. Add to that Milan's defence actually having to play against a CF, too, and it was far, far harder for them to deny Barca space this time around.

Actually, I thought Milan's defence did okay. By my reckoning, they restricted Barca to three shots from outside the box (they scored two of them) and one clear chance (the third goal). I'm not including the fourth goal, because that was irrelevant.

Barca, for periods at least, also pressed with greater intensity than I've seen from them in quite a while. That made it far harder for Milan to have any control over the tempo or to at least hold the ball long enough to give the defence a rest.

The real failing on Milan's part, to my mind, was how wasteful their forwards were. Poor decisions, poor passes and poor finishing meant they wasted opportunities and dangerous situations that had to result in one goal (Niang's chance) and should probably have resulted in at least one more.

There was never any real prospect of Milan progressing tonight without scoring.

Still, I thought Allegri could have changed things once it was apparent Barca were playing with a back three and two wingers.

Leaving the back four to play Alves, Pedro and Villa and get stretched out seemed odd to me. I'd have had a midfielder or a winger marking Alves so that Constant could play narrow and keep things more compact. That would also have made it easier for Milan to close down the space between defence and midfield, because they couldn't really get the CBs sqeezing up when they had to deal with Villa. A third defender in that area would have allowed them to be more aggressive.

In retrospect, one would also have to say it was a mistake for Milan to start with Niang. Not so much because of the missed chance, but because his complete failure to hold on to the ball at any stage did not allow Milan to get up the pitch a bit rather than being pinned back.

Can't help but feel Milan were somewhat unfortunate the way the fixtures fell and results went. If Barca hadn't taken two beatings off Real between the two legs, Milan may well have got to face the same static, lethargic Barca they played at San Siro. Instead, Barca were fired up and had corrected a lot of the faults that had been apparent in them losing those big games recently.

In more simple terms. You could have said Barca were better. Could have saved a bit of skin on those finger tips of yours.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
The way they make use of triangles and move as a team is exactly how I will teach kids here how to play.
Will you teach them to play like good Barca - the one that was seen last night that stretched the pitch and had good, penetrating off-the-ball movement - or the bad Barca - that often forgets there is more to football than keeping possession and that you actually have to try and score?

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Will you teach them to play like good Barca - the one that was seen last night that stretched the pitch and had good, penetrating off-the-ball movement - or the bad Barca - that often forgets there is more to football than keeping possession and that you actually have to try and score?
One step at a time. Success these days would be these kids learning what a triangle actually is.

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
Over here in Canada they still teach the circle. 10 players around the ball, kick it to one end and run towards it and make a circle around it. Can't finish though.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
I was ALWAYS taught to pass in triangles, so maybe that won't be enough. You'll have to make every aspect of their daily lives ruled by triangles.
My recollection of kids football was that the team spacing meant short passing wasn't that much of an option.

Everyone was either in a tight pack swarming around after the ball or were ridiculously spread out over distances that meant they couldn't possibly receive the ball.

Bit different once you went up to eleven-a-side and the offside rule made things resemble a real game of football, but bad habits were pretty deeply ingrained by then.

And I say this having played in and against some pretty good kids sides.

Oggy

and the Cockroaches
Dec 27, 2005
The way they make use of triangles and move as a team is exactly how I will teach kids here how to play.
I agree with you, but that wasn't my point. I'm sure that the guy doesn't even know what they mean by "tika-taka", he probably think it's some sort of gameplay where you have to make gazillion short passes and keep possession over 60% :D

Anyway I really hate Barca and Milan, and it's so damn annoying to see one of the clubs and their fans celebrating

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Barca played 2 different games in that tie vs. Milan.

The first game was a tiki-taka fap fest.

The second game they played with a fucking striker and both Messi goals came from right behind a striker that was occupying the centre backs who could not close in on Messi in time.

IE. REAL FOOTBALL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)