What do you think?

• Hip

• Lame

Results are only viewable after voting.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Back to the topic:

When discussing the matter of snipping the tip or not snipping the tip. It's basically a choice of parental or cultural preference. In western cultures the deed is done shortly after birth, a purely parental decision. In other cultures the deed is done as a passage to manhood, a cultural preference. Either way it really doesn't matter as far as health issues are concerned. It's either you have it or you don't

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #184
    So Seven, my definition of the word 'objective' was very accurate indeed. Oh, and you just got pwned.
    For what it's worth I don't accept this "read this link, it makes the argument for me" tactic. It's like school, if you can't explain what you did, you're not passing the test.

Jun 13, 2007
    For what it's worth I don't accept this "read this link, it makes the argument for me" tactic. It's like school, if you can't explain what you did, you're not passing the test.
    I needed to show you that I was using the word 'objectively' soundly, I couldn't explain how exactly so I opted to someone that was able to explain what I wanted to say. Seven's sheer obnoxiousness has led me to do this. In any case, I maintain my opinion on objective morality and I will explain it more clearly and how it does indeed imply God's existence. I will do all this when I have some more time.

Jun 13, 2007
    But you haven't shown me facts that say humans are more important than products.
    Humans are more productive, capable of inspiring, providing happiness, providing love, changing the course of history for the good of the world, making the world a beautiful place to live in, can a product do that?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #190
    Humans are more productive, capable of inspiring, providing happiness, providing love, changing the course of history for the good of the world, making the world a beautiful place to live in, can a product do that?
    No, but which facts say those things are more important than a nice car, for example?

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Its same as religion, your wishful thinking wins, you hear what you want to hear.

You wish for your opinion to be right and you will believe anything what is said by anyone as long as it says what you want to hear.

Jun 13, 2007
    Wait a minute just cause someone else agrees with you doesn't mean he didn't screw it up too.
    The Objective Moral Law argument stems from Dr.William Lane Craig, an esteemed philospher, he uses the definition of an 'objective moral' truth in the same sense tha I have used it the past few days. Meaning that an truth does exist regardless of people's opinions. Seven thought I was using this definition incorrectly, but I wasn't, I was using accordng to Craig's definition which is considered a viable one.

I would like to answer Razielist for a second. If Indeed, relative morality was true, then how can you argue that relative morality was true in the first place. Since you are insinuating that morality is not objective, arguing the relative morality is true is contradicting the very basis of what the philosophy states.

I will respond to your questions some other time.

Jun 13, 2007
    No, but which facts say those things are more important than a nice car, for example?
    The fact that those things has done greater good in the world than a nice car.

And as a selfish human being, I am programmed to favor my own race's survival and well-being than that of a mechanical object.

Jun 13, 2007
    The moral argument says that objective morality is evidence for the existence of God. Some even go so far as to say that without God, objective morality would not exist. Why would anybody claim that? Wouldn’t we still feel that people committing genocide and rape is reprehensible even if there were no God? Of course we would. But if the immorality of such behaviors is to be an objective truth that is independent of what we think, then something besides us has to say people shouldn’t behave this way. There has to be some kind of transcendent, fundamental reality that says how we ought to behave. And this transcendent fundamental reality, I argue, is what we call God.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    So Seven, my definition of the word 'objective' was very accurate indeed. Oh, and you just got pwned.
    I don't know why you posted that link, but that guy provides you a pretty poor argument. He does however give a working definition of objective when talking about morality:

Morality is objective in the sense that it holds or not regardless of human opinion.

But how the fuck would morality hold regardlss of human opinion?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    I needed to show you that I was using the word 'objectively' soundly, I couldn't explain how exactly so I opted to someone that was able to explain what I wanted to say. Seven's sheer obnoxiousness has led me to do this. In any case, I maintain my opinion on objective morality and I will explain it more clearly and how it does indeed imply God's existence. I will do all this when I have some more time.
    Wait a minute just cause someone else agrees with you doesn't mean he didn't screw it up too.
    Bingo.

This JR guy is so retarded it's not even funny anymore.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #198
    The fact that those things has done greater good in the world than a nice car.

And as a selfish human being, I am programmed to favor my own race's survival and well-being than that of a mechanical object.
    But another human being thinks a car is more important than some child who has to work in poor conditions. We need some facts to convince this person that he's wrong. Show me those facts.

Otherwise it's just your opinion against his.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #199
    The moral argument says that objective morality is evidence for the existence of God. Some even go so far as to say that without God, objective morality would not exist. Why would anybody claim that? Wouldn’t we still feel that people committing genocide and rape is reprehensible even if there were no God? Of course we would. But if the immorality of such behaviors is to be an objective truth that is independent of what we think, then something besides us has to say people shouldn’t behave this way. There has to be some kind of transcendent, fundamental reality that says how we ought to behave. And this transcendent fundamental reality, I argue, is what we call God.
    I agree :D

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    The real problem is that there are various situations that have, at the very least, two morally sound options and there is no way to say which is better. So even if JR's theory would be right, which it clearly isn't, it would be useless.

Religion really mutilates people, it's awful to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)