What do you think?

• Hip

• Lame

Results are only viewable after voting.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I don't know why did you open it in this section but I am with circumcision from a hygienic point of view. Other than that I am totally indifferent.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #6
    I don't know why did you open it in this section but I am with circumcision from a hygienic point of view. Other than that I am totally indifferent.
    Hygienic? Maybe if you live in the desert, but we have showers and soap and if you go into one of those health stores they have dozens of hygiene products for "sensitive areas".

I don't like getting dirt under my nails either, but I'm not gonna pull off my nails just for that.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #7
    Religious male circumcision is considered a commandment from God in Judaism. In Islam, though not discussed in the Qur'an, circumcision is widely practiced and most often considered to be a sunnah. It is also customary in some Christian churches in Africa, including some Oriental Orthodox Churches. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), global estimates suggest that 30% of males are circumcised, of whom 68% are Muslim. The prevalence of circumcision varies mostly with religious affiliation, and sometimes culture. Most circumcisions are performed during adolescence for cultural or religious reasons.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumcision

Jun 26, 2007
    You should add a "meh" option in the poll. I'm neutral towards male circumcision, and I don't consider it extreme in any way. Female circumcision on the other hand...

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #10
    You should add a "meh" option in the poll. I'm neutral towards male circumcision, and I don't consider it extreme in any way. Female circumcision on the other hand...
    You don't think it's disturbing to cut people up?

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
    Apr 2, 2007
    Hygienic? Maybe if you live in the desert, but we have showers and soap and if you go into one of those health stores they have dozens of hygiene products for "sensitive areas".

I don't like getting dirt under my nails either, but I'm not gonna pull off my nails just for that.
    But there is absolutely no need for the foreskin, don't you think? I still have it but i find it useless.
    Yes, you can find other parts of the body that might be just as useless and you can say the same thing about the small toe as you said about the nails, but i see more advantages in not having the foreskin than to have it.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #14
    But there is absolutely no need for the foreskin, don't you think? I still have it but i find it useless.
    Yes, you can find other parts of the body that might be just as useless and you can say the same thing about the small toe as you said about the nails, but i see more advantages in not having the foreskin than to have it.
    Even if you think so it's one thing to get it removed yourself and it's another thing to force it upon your kids, wouldn't you say? Shouldn't they have the basic human dignity to decide about their own body?

Jun 26, 2007
    You don't think it's disturbing to cut people up?
    If it doesn't have any negative consequences, then no (e.g. removing someone's appendix). I think male circumcision is weird, but you're not handicaping someone (neglecting the loss in sensitivity, I don't know how important that is to you ;)), so I don't have anything against it. But like I said before, female circumcision is sick and should be banned forever.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #17
    If it doesn't have any negative consequences, then no (e.g. removing someone's appendix). I think male circumcision is weird, but you're not handicaping someone (neglecting the loss in sensitivity, I don't know how important that is to you ;)), so I don't have anything against it. But like I said before, female circumcision is sick and should be banned forever.
    So why don't we operate on every newborn and remove the appendix? After all it can only cause harm, right? Because we think there is something sacred about the human body. We do not do preemptive operations on the outside chance that someone might get sick one day. It's not for us to decide what to do with other people's bodies. Coroners are not allowed to cut up bodies in pieces, dead bodies. Why not? It's only dead flesh, right?

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Supposedly, circumcised people can go longer during sex. That's the only plus I can think off. :p

But I don't think that is on the parent's mind when he decides to do this to his baby. :D

I'm against it BTW, cutting in general sucks, especially in that area. I could never do that to my baby.

Jun 26, 2007
    So why don't we operate on every newborn and remove the appendix? After all it can only cause harm, right? Because we think there is something sacred about the human body. We do not do preemptive operations on the outside chance that someone might get sick one day. It's not for us to decide what to do with other people's bodies. Coroners are not allowed to cut up bodies in pieces, dead bodies. Why not? It's only dead flesh, right?
    Because the trouble of preemptively removing the appendix doesn't make up for nullifying the minimal risk of getting an appendecitis.

I agree it doesn't make sense, but I don't it agree it's immoral. There aren't strong arguments pro, but there also aren't strong arguments contra.

Respect for dead bodies is something cultural I guess. There isn't a single rational explanation for why we should care about what happens to dead bodies, because cutting up dead bodies - just like removing the foreskin - doesn't harm anybody.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #20
    Because the trouble of preemptively removing the appendix doesn't make up for nullifying the minimal risk of getting an appendecitis.

I agree it doesn't make sense, but I don't it agree it's immoral. There aren't strong arguments pro, but there also aren't strong arguments contra.

Respect for dead bodies is something cultural I guess. There isn't a single rational explanation for why we should care about what happens to dead bodies, because cutting up dead bodies - just like removing the foreskin - doesn't harm anybody.
    Bah, that's a whole new poll. Anyway, if this is your stance then no wonder.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)