Chile Quake (2 Viewers)

Ford Prefect

May 28, 2009

This from the telegraph -

The quake, which registered at magnitude 8.8 on the Richter scale, caused major structural damage to buildings in Concepcíon, which has a population of one million.

The shock wave also triggered a potentially deadly tsunami which has already hit land at the southern Juan Fernandez Islands, about 400 miles off the coast of Chile, where it was reported to have caused "serious damage".

The first images broadcast from Concepcíon, located some 70 miles southwest of the epicentre of the earthquake, showed a building consumed by a massive blaze.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...304/Chile-devastated-by-major-earthquake.html

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
Thanks, people. Me and my family are alright. The earthquake was really strong and long. Apart of some things that fell and broke up, everything is fine at home. So far, there are already 129 victims, and the media suggest that we could have over 180. Internet and TV cable have downtimes, but now it seems to be fine.

The streets in Santiago are a mess: a lot of destruction to some buildings, one sector of the airport, a brigde fell down, etc. It seems schools will be closed (children were about to start a new year).
Well, that's everything I know so far. Anyway, thanks for your concern.

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Thanks, people. Me and my family are alright. The earthquake was really strong and long. Apart of some things that fell and broke up, everything is fine at home. So far, there are already 129 victims, and the media suggest that we could have over 180. Internet and TV cable have downtimes, but now it seems to be fine.

The streets in Santiago are a mess: a lot of destruction to some buildings, one sector of the airport, a brigde fell down, etc. It seems schools will be closed (children were about to start a new year).
Well, that's everything I know so far. Anyway, thanks for your concern.
I'm glad to hear you and your family are OK. 8.8 is pretty huge.

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005

JBF

اختك يا زمن
Aug 5, 2006
Tsunami waves are expected to hit Hawaii in the next hours...

Glad both you and your family is safe Jaoco :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)