[Champions League] Juventus vs Zenit ( 17th September , 2008) (15 Viewers)

Juve's MOM

• Buffon

• Grygera

• Chiellini

• Sissoko

• Del Piero

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
yea you're right, if only we start with DC as left back in our next games, our defence is fine.

edit: in games like these, we should really play either Iaquinta or Amauri, who are well more capable of keeping the ball. Trez was lost in this game, he's not the type of player for these kind of matches.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
i do know that giovinco did often play on the left wing for empoli ... fact is, that camoranesi does do more for the defense that giovinco does ... there are games where he is just everywhere and also doing decisive interception in front of our defense.

sali does not offer anything going forward, yes ... but there is the question what was ranieris intention ?

you do know the games when grygera will have his blunders and leave the right side open to attacks ... ( who could have thought that grygera would have one of his better days?) ? the other option is going for the one point (while drawing) because the chance of losing while having a bad-day grygera and a not very defensive giovinco on one side is bigger than the chance of giovinco scoring more goals than we concede ... remember that they had much more possession than us.

i repeat ... we did not have much possession because the passes we played out of our own half were either hasty or to unprecise.

if we had more possession and just the lack of someone capable to bring the ball forward, then i agree giovinco could help ... but giovinco has nothing from running after crap passes (where you can bet your ass that a 50/50 pass will most of the time end zenits players getting the ball).

i do like giovinco, but i must say that just because a player has some skills it is not the all-holy recipe to win every game ... furthermore this russian players did do well to kick the hell out of us ... would you like a game where giovinco has to run after crap passes, where some of this lumberjacks runs in full tempo and does a scythe on him ?

more time for giovinco, yes, but not in any game ... those who do call for that just need lesson in tactics and how the game is played .... or just talk to people that know football from watching it in the TV and have no knowledge either

if our concern was midfield and defending the 0-0 marchisio would have been in, moreover if you re trying to suck up pressure it's good to have someone who can hold the ball for more than 3 seconds. Either way pretty ridiculous to suggest one would rather go with brazzo on the wing over gio in that situation, lets just hope camo's injury is not serious.

DiDoz

Jun 23, 2007
i do know that giovinco did often play on the left wing for empoli ... fact is, that camoranesi does do more for the defense that giovinco does ... there are games where he is just everywhere and also doing decisive interception in front of our defense.

sali does not offer anything going forward, yes ... but there is the question what was ranieris intention ?

you do know the games when grygera will have his blunders and leave the right side open to attacks ... ( who could have thought that grygera would have one of his better days?) ? the other option is going for the one point (while drawing) because the chance of losing while having a bad-day grygera and a not very defensive giovinco on one side is bigger than the chance of giovinco scoring more goals than we concede ... remember that they had much more possession than us.

i repeat ... we did not have much possession because the passes we played out of our own half were either hasty or to unprecise.

if we had more possession and just the lack of someone capable to bring the ball forward, then i agree giovinco could help ... but giovinco has nothing from running after crap passes (where you can bet your ass that a 50/50 pass will most of the time end zenits players getting the ball).

i do like giovinco, but i must say that just because a player has some skills it is not the all-holy recipe to win every game ... furthermore this russian players did do well to kick the hell out of us ... would you like a game where giovinco has to run after crap passes, where some of this lumberjacks runs in full tempo and does a scythe on him ?

more time for giovinco, yes, but not in any game ... those who do call for that just need lesson in tactics and how the game is played .... or just talk to people that know football from watching it in the TV and have no knowledge either
Come on!!! If playing for a draw just crossed Ranieri's mind, then he should go and shoot himself!!! you know that it was a must-win game

so we had 2 problems: Possession problem and Creativity problem, i think they are related, we played with a defensive midfield, Poulsen-Sissoko-Sali were playing a defensive game, that leaves Nedved who was always marked by more than one player, DP who had to run back to Sissoko or Poulsen to receive the ball and Trez who was ghost

That's why we had both problems, we didnt have a CM or enough attacking midfielders to hold the ball, we didnt have possession because our DMs didnt find anybody to pass the ball to

cyril

Let's roll
Jul 6, 2006
He went for experience rather than talent. Many would have done the same, I wouldn't trust gio in these type of games just yet.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
I dont want to repeat myself, maybe he was when Camo was injured, but when we are playing at home an important game that we must win, and a whole hour passed, while we can't create a single real chance , we should look for a solution
but you should invest more time in why we did not create chances ...
there was no scene where sali got the ball and giovinco at this position would have scored a goal or would have easily assisted ... there was just one cross by sali that went over the goal and if gio would have been there, yes there might have been a better pass ... wow ... a small chance for one assist for many occasions where salihamdzic did help a grygera who would have had to play against two or more zenit players on his side if not for sali...

We cant defend against Zenit at home, that's stupid and that was exactly what we were doing, I believe Gio should have replaced Sali at 70' or something, that would help creating more chances, while Grygera sticks at the back to cover the area behind Gio
as you saw, we CAN defend against Zenit at home ... if you did not already got it ... it worked and we got 3 points.

furthermore reading in the book of tactics there is a small chapter about "subtituting a player that was just brought on before" ... it reads "you don't do that". there are very few situations a coach would consider to take off a player he brought in as substitute ... (only situations i remember is, when a goalkeeper gets red and the backup keeper has to come in)

Grygera had a nice game but is in no way able to stop the opponent when more than one opposing player come over his side ...

My recommendation for you
"Amazon: Football Tactics"

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
the point that you are not getting is, that giovinco cannot play a defense splitting pass when he does not get the ball because we waste our possession by playing long high balls out of the defense. giovinco is not the type of player that will run to his own penalty area and collect the ball from the defenders so he would have had very few balls (while he would certainly be outmuscled while trying to get to the end of the crap long balls we played to the attack most of the time).
What this troll fails to understand is that Giovinco has the ability to open up defenses by himself with his skill on the ball. This comes in handy when we DO NOT have possession and the defense are clearing the ball up the pitch or looking for an outlet pass. What Seba could come in handy for is a little something called counterattacking, something this poster above doesn't seem to understand; where the opposition defense is stretched and Seba can receive some 1v1's.

This dummy thinks Giovinco has to run back to his own penalty area and dribble up the entire pitch to be effective. :howler: Hilarious.

you are the first guy in my whole life that i find so annoying that i put you on my ignore list ... and man.... i read some dumb stuff in my life, but that just tops it all ...
:cry: Awww, too bad. :cry:

:lol2:

GrandePavel

Pavel The Czech Warrior
Aug 5, 2008
Really crucial win despite not playing as well as we could have. Another poor performance from Molinaro and an under-par performance from Salihamidzic. Hope Camo is back for Cagliari on Sunday, and hope Ranieri selects De Ceglie ahead of Molinaro on Sunday as he looked good at both defending and getting forward tonight.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Actually we would suffer with Gio as Zenith played with 5 in the middle and we with 4. Also 3 of their MD were going forward.
I saw Gio against Artmedia, and he had only one right pass, Gio was totally lost in that game..Sali was obvious choice
You're right, we should sell Giovinco and fill up on a bunch of Blasis who can run us the fuck to Borisov.

What a bunch of pussy-like tactics.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
After 13 years of watching Del Piero play I have only one question, when did he learn that thing he did after the goal?
Damn right.

Chill about Giovinco, probably he's going to start Sunday :).
I truly hope so. Nedved left his spleen out on the pitch, and he's going to need a rest. Ranieri has no better excuse to play him than this weekend.

v1rtu4l

Mar 4, 2008
Either way pretty ridiculous to suggest one would rather go with brazzo on the wing over gio in that situation,
just because sali was brought for camo, does not mean he played the same position ... sali played more defensive ... more like a average right midfielder (tracking back more often then just running forward on the touchline)

Come on!!! If playing for a draw just crossed Ranieri's mind, then he should go and shoot himself!!! you know that it was a must-win game
don't tell me, tell ranieri ... do you think he does not do things he does on purpose ? if he let gio at "home" it probably was, because he wants him to be fresh against cagliari ...

so we had 2 problems: Possession problem and Creativity problem, i think they are related, we played with a defensive midfield, Poulsen-Sissoko-Sali were playing a defensive game, that leaves Nedved who was always marked by more than one player, DP who had to run back to Sissoko or Poulsen to receive the ball and Trez who was ghost
you already mentioned it ... del piero did have to run back to collect the ball ... i dare to say that giovinco is not really the type of player that does that often ... and waiting on the center line for balls is not something that would have been very effective because he would have been marked off the game pretty easily.

further you already said trez was a ghost ... so you do not want to play with one player less (because trez does nothing at all for this games, when we are in the defense), no you want to play with two players less for our defensive duties against a team that came running for more than 90 minutes where EVERYBODY did run really much and always show create options for them to pass to ...

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
Typical of this competition, defence wins u points. Were clearly capable of better, and hopefully Ranieri doesn't lose sight of today's shortcomings because of the win.

DiDoz

Jun 23, 2007
but you should invest more time in why we did not create chances ...
there was no scene where sali got the ball and giovinco at this position would have scored a goal or would have easily assisted ... there was just one cross by sali that went over the goal and if gio would have been there, yes there might have been a better pass ... wow ... a small chance for one assist for many occasions where salihamdzic did help a grygera who would have had to play against two or more zenit players on his side if not for sali...

as you saw, we CAN defend against Zenit at home ... if you did not already got it ... it worked and we got 3 points.

furthermore reading in the book of tactics there is a small chapter about "subtituting a player that was just brought on before" ... it reads "you don't do that". there are very few situations a coach would consider to take off a player he brought in as substitute ... (only situations i remember is, when a goalkeeper gets red and the backup keeper has to come in)

Grygera had a nice game but is in no way able to stop the opponent when more than one opposing player come over his side ...

My recommendation for you
"Amazon: Football Tactics"
You dont have to be sarcastic, especially when it's not funny, you can just prove me wrong instead of looking for some football links

Maybe substituting Sali isnt the best idea, but playing to get a point from Zenit at home is really stupid

We got the 3 points not because we played a defensive game, it was due to a brilliant talent, and some luck

If you are suggesting a defensive formation AT HOME against Zenit, what do you suggest for the away game, or against Real Madrid

When you really need to win, you should take a risk, and bringing Giovinco in at 75' or something isn't a foolish risk or a stupid decision

I explained to you that possession and creativity problems today were due to the same reasons, if there are creative players that can fill the gap between the defense and attack, there will be creativity, and ball possession as well, as our defense would find someone to pass the ball instead of the stupid long balls

I really feel sorry for our winning mentality, we're supposed to fight for a win, not to play to get a point at home from an average team

anyways, peace

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
Not the best game but its still a win, and as swag said, this was our international comeback against the Uefa Cup Super Cup winner, so I take the result.
Del Piero saved our asses (Damn, what a goal!)
Sissoko is my hero. Tackling is art, when he does it
Poulsen played his worst game for us so far. His long balls, especially in the first half, reminded me of the Capello era.
Nedved was all over the pitch, but untill De Ceglie came, he was missing help on the left side.
Molinaro........it has been said here many times.....
Grygera had a nice game, but what drives me nuts is that he never really attacks the player, that is crossing. He does it every time.
Chiellini and Legrottaglie should be our starting duo in the center.

Ranieri was poor today. Subing our most creative player with a Brazzo, who hardly played a good match so far in a Juve jersey, made me very angry. Iaquinta could have done more out there on the wing, and where the fuck was Giovinco.....
Also, Amauri should have come on in the 60th minute. Did Trez touch the ball in the second half????

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
You dont have to be sarcastic, especially when it's not funny, you can just prove me wrong instead of looking for some football links

Maybe substituting Sali isnt the best idea, but playing to get a point from Zenit at home is really stupid

We got the 3 points not because we played a defensive game, it was due to a brilliant talent, and some luck

If you are suggesting a defensive formation AT HOME against Zenit, what do you suggest for the away game, or against Real Madrid

When you really need to win, you should take a risk, and bringing Giovinco in at 75' or something isn't a foolish risk or a stupid decision

I explained to you that possession and creativity problems today were due to the same reasons, if there are creative players that can fill the gap between the defense and attack, there will be creativity, and ball possession as well, as our defense would find someone to pass the ball instead of the stupid long balls

I really feel sorry for our winning mentality, we're supposed to fight for a win, not to play to get a point at home from an average team

anyways, peace
Good posts, sir. I think that guy can take some of his own advice with the book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 15)