[Champions League] Juventus vs Zenit ( 17th September , 2008) (2 Viewers)

Juve's MOM

• Buffon

• Grygera

• Chiellini

• Sissoko

• Del Piero

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Hey, Cronios, remember when you were convincing me that Tymoschuk will rule the right side and destroy Molinaro ?

Well, first of all here's to hope that Molinaro won't play at all on
Wednesday :malt:
And second, if you didn't read it already, that Zenit fan in xtratime said that Tymo will have stricktly defensive duties. He's going to be their 5th defender.

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
Do you really think that the first game in the CL, against a very good side, is the right time to try new things out?
A valid point to some degree, but Mellberg played mostly as a right back for villa for the last season and a half so it would not be entirely new to Olof and has played well for juve in his first two matches bar the lapse against Gilardino.

And as zenit are a very attack based team with an adventurous 4-3-3 formation with both full back who like to get forward i would opt for mellbergs greater defensive ability over Grygera.

As in most things in football its a matter of opinion but even when Zebina is fit my prefered back 4 would be mellberg legro chiellini and de ceglie.

But saying that i understand why Ranieri would keep Grygera for the exact reason you stated.

Does anybody know if betfair stream champions league games.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Grozny is in Chechnya, Southern Russia, so it's not the most pleasant of places. Perhaps they'll be stressed out traveling there. ;)
Yeah, but I'm not sure that Terek get to play their home gaes in Grozny at the moment. They certainly weren't allowed to a year or two ago.

Edit: Just checked, the game was played in Grozny.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Grozny is in Chechnya, Southern Russia, so it's not the most pleasant of places. Perhaps they'll be stressed out traveling there. ;)
On Zenit's official site (in Russian) it's mentioned that their coach fears that these long trips may hurt his team. I don't think it will make some difference but it's true that there are thousands of km's between St.Petersburg, Grozny and Turin, with different climates in all three cities.
They are professional athletes though and i don't expect these long trips to influence their performance on Wednesday.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Yeah, but I'm not sure that Terek get to play their home gaes in Grozny at the moment. They certainly weren't allowed to a year or two ago.

Edit: Just checked, the game was played in Grozny.
Yeah, they don't play in Grozny but they play near, in Makhachkala (Dagestan)

Edit: They didn't play in Grozny, where did you see that ? They played in Makhachkala and the result was 1:4 if i'm not wrong.

Let me check.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
On Zenit's official site (in Russian) it's mentioned that their coach fears that these long trips may hurt his team. I don't think it will make some difference but it's true that there are thousands of km's between St.Petersburg, Grozny and Turin, with different climates in all three cities.
They are professional athletes though and i don't expect these long trips to influence their performance on Wednesday.
Probably not, and I'm sure they are used to playing in all sorts of climates, more so than most teams.

GrandePavel

Pavel The Czech Warrior
Aug 5, 2008
Belgian De Bleeckere to referee Champions League debut
One of the most experienced referees in the business has been selected as the match official for Juventus' return in the Champions League proper. Indeed Frank De Bleeckere, who hails from Belgium, will referee Wednesday's game against Zenit. He recently refereed the Spain vs. Russia semi-final at the European Championships in Switzerland and Austria.

De Bleeckere has refereed Juventus twice before. The first time, back in 1999, in a UEFA Cup match against Levski Sofia, in Turin, which ended 1-1 (Kovacevic scored the goal). The second time is more recent and not a happy memory for the Bianconeri. De Bleeckere was at Anfield Road for the Liverpool vs. Juventus clash in the 2004/05 edition of the Champions League, a game which ended 2-1 for the English side (Cannavaro scoring for the Bianconeri), who would then go on to knock out Juventus by drawing 0-0 at the Delle Alpi in the second leg.

The many Zenit players who are part of the Russian National team have the fresh memory of the game against the Spaniards when they were denied a place in the European Final.

The other officials at the Olimpico will also be from Belgium. Peter Hermans and Alex Verstraeten will be the assistant referees, while Peter Vervecken will be acting as the fourth official.

Juventus.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)