[Champions League] JUVENTUS 2-2 Chelsea (03/10/2009) (1 Viewer)

Man of the Match

• Buffon

• Grygera

• Mellberg

• Chiellini

• Molinaro

• Nedved

• Tiago

• Marchisio

• Iaquinta

• Trezeguet

• Del Piero

• Giovinco

• Alberto Undiano Mallenco (ref)

• Juventus (team play)

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP

Mark

The Informer
Administrator
Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #102
    we did play with 3 in front in the last couple of years in some important games but Ranieri's system is the 4-4-2 but playing a resemblance of a 4-3-3 wouldn't be unfamiliar but surprising for the other team.

OP

Mark

The Informer
    Administrator
    Dec 19, 2003
  • Thread Starter #103
    We all know Neddy is gonna give his 200% for this game and it will be very sad to see him if we're eliminated from the competition. Just that would be a motivation if I was one of his teammate.

Jun 29, 2008
    anyone have the full list of channels showing the match? I watched it on ESPN 2 last time and it says that their showing the Pool - Madrid match this time around...

A_LAcki

Dec 23, 2002
    Since we haven't played or used any tried formation after Chelsea's first leg, I think it makes much more sense to go for 4-4-2.

I guess this is what we are going to see on Tuesday night.

Buffon

Grygera - Legro - Chiellini - Molinaro

Marchionni - Tiago - Marchisio - Nedved

Trezeguet - Del Piero(C)

Salihamidzic to replace Marchionni if he's not 100% fit.

I think it's really crucial and important to score in the 1st half to so things would be balanced and to remove the pressure from our shoulders. The pressure will increase in the 2nd half and it won't look good.

In some way we have to be realistic....
    Looking at this formation, I ask myself.......is this what can beat Chelsea????
    I mean, at the moment we are off - form and injuries are certainly not helping us. The side, that will face Chelsea on Tuesday, will be weaker in every department. Defense, Midfield and Attack....they will be superior.

We can only win this game with fighting spirit and a lot of motivation. On paper, we have no chance. Not with the current squad.
    However, under Ranieri we have always played better against the big teams in big matches. It will take a HUGE performance of every player. Otherwise, we are out......

Guardian

Dec 28, 2005
    THE DRAMATIC OLD LADY WIN

On a rainy night, juventus managed to kick chelsea out of the uefa champions league, going against odds.

The game started off slowly with neither side creating chances until the 30th minutes. Ivorian striker Didier Drogba rose highest to head a corner towards the goal, only for Italian shot-stopper Gianluigi Buffon A.K.A superman to smother it.
    six minutes later, it was Poulson to see his long-shot goes into the fans after a wonder pass by Giovinco, also known as the Atomic Ant. No more chances were created until half-time

Both teams came into the second half without making any changes. The game restarted slowly, with Chelsea having most of the possessions, while juventus is playing long balls to no avail. Chelsea then turned on the attacking gear, but chiellini and Buffon came to juve's rescue time and again. Drogba's 1 metre tap-in was miraculously tipped away by Buffon, while Lampard was totally invisible under the eye of Chiellini.

Time was running out for Juventus, who needed a goal to get back into the fight. In 80th minute, Nedved was brought on for Giovinco, who had a quiet night like the other attackers.

Then, things started to change in the 85th minute. A failed clearance by Chelsea captain, John Terry, landed at Marchisio's feet just outside the area, he then tried to go pass a defender, only to be brought down by Ashley Cole, resulting in a freekick.

Up stepped Del piero to take the freekick. And with such accuracy, he conjured up magic! To everybody's shock, he delivered the ball with his left foot! The ball flew like a butterfly, but stung like a bee. it went right into the left top corner of the goal, after swerving three times! Even the Juventus fans were silenced for about half a second before celebrations erupted all over Turin.

With the Chelsea players still in shock, the match restarted, but nothing were created and the game goes into extra time. Both sides continued to play cautiously, without much attacking inspirations. Drogba once again had his powerful shot from oustide the area parried by Buffon with ease. Defense King Chiellini somehow managed to keep every chelsea players from entering the area and his territory.

Things looked like it was going down to penalty when drama happened! at 119th minutes, Molinaro somehow dribbled 4 Chelsea players, but had his cross hacked out for a corner. Nedved took the corner, and Amauri rose above all to head it towards the goal from 2 metre out! But Ashley Cole was there to hack it powerfully off the goal line. BUT, the ball hit Molinaro's face and rebounded back towards the goal, this time entering the net!

Juventus went crazy! the fans were dancing and Ranieri was jumping with his staffs! Every single players had tears in their eyes! they went to hug Molinaro, who was on the ground, with a bloody nose but still conscious. The restart lasted onli 1 minute before the final whistle and Juventus is through!

Ranieri after the game " I told the players to fight for the win and they did that!"

Nedved : " I am going to make my last season at juventus the best season ever!"

Chiellini: " John Terry who?"

Molinaro ( with a broken nose) : " Who am I?"

lets hope dreams do come through!!!!!

FORZA JUVE!
    :lol: :lol: :beer: :tup:
    Brilliant !!!

LONG LIVE SUPER MOLI!!!!

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    THE DRAMATIC OLD LADY WIN

On a rainy night, juventus managed to kick chelsea out of the uefa champions league, going against odds.

The game started off slowly with neither side creating chances until the 30th minutes. Ivorian striker Didier Drogba rose highest to head a corner towards the goal, only for Italian shot-stopper Gianluigi Buffon A.K.A superman to smother it.
    six minutes later, it was Poulson to see his long-shot goes into the fans after a wonder pass by Giovinco, also known as the Atomic Ant. No more chances were created until half-time

Both teams came into the second half without making any changes. The game restarted slowly, with Chelsea having most of the possessions, while juventus is playing long balls to no avail. Chelsea then turned on the attacking gear, but chiellini and Buffon came to juve's rescue time and again. Drogba's 1 metre tap-in was miraculously tipped away by Buffon, while Lampard was totally invisible under the eye of Chiellini.

Time was running out for Juventus, who needed a goal to get back into the fight. In 80th minute, Nedved was brought on for Giovinco, who had a quiet night like the other attackers.

Then, things started to change in the 85th minute. A failed clearance by Chelsea captain, John Terry, landed at Marchisio's feet just outside the area, he then tried to go pass a defender, only to be brought down by Ashley Cole, resulting in a freekick.

Up stepped Del piero to take the freekick. And with such accuracy, he conjured up magic! To everybody's shock, he delivered the ball with his left foot! The ball flew like a butterfly, but stung like a bee. it went right into the left top corner of the goal, after swerving three times! Even the Juventus fans were silenced for about half a second before celebrations erupted all over Turin.

With the Chelsea players still in shock, the match restarted, but nothing were created and the game goes into extra time. Both sides continued to play cautiously, without much attacking inspirations. Drogba once again had his powerful shot from oustide the area parried by Buffon with ease. Defense King Chiellini somehow managed to keep every chelsea players from entering the area and his territory.

Things looked like it was going down to penalty when drama happened! at 119th minutes, Molinaro somehow dribbled 4 Chelsea players, but had his cross hacked out for a corner. Nedved took the corner, and Amauri rose above all to head it towards the goal from 2 metre out! But Ashley Cole was there to hack it powerfully off the goal line. BUT, the ball hit Molinaro's face and rebounded back towards the goal, this time entering the net!

Juventus went crazy! the fans were dancing and Ranieri was jumping with his staffs! Every single players had tears in their eyes! they went to hug Molinaro, who was on the ground, with a bloody nose but still conscious. The restart lasted onli 1 minute before the final whistle and Juventus is through!

Ranieri after the game " I told the players to fight for the win and they did that!"

Nedved : " I am going to make my last season at juventus the best season ever!"

Chiellini: " John Terry who?"

Molinaro ( with a broken nose) : " Who am I?"

lets hope dreams do come through!!!!!

FORZA JUVE!
    I'm sorry.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Momo's injury is a big loss. No doubt about it. He wasn't great in the first fixture against chelsea, but his robustness did manage to wear down, and into, their midfield. On his game, he can be a constant very mobile menace. As we all know...At least we can be sure now that Marchisio will be starting the match. Thats the only silver lining to this doom cloud.

I hope the reports of the derby game I read were accurate in suggesting a return to form for Chiellini, because his performance in this one is going to be of ultra importance. He must keep Drogba quiet, caged, moaning but not scoring. He is capable of that, I have seen him do it to better players than the Ivorian. The players who partner him in the middle and fill the right back spot are up for debate presently...

Buffon
    Grygera Legro Chiellini Molinaro

If Legro is fit. If not, I assume Mellberg will start in the middle in his place. Shame Zebina the madman isn't yet match fit, though I hope to see him enter the fray at some point, hopefully when we are winning and it will be safe enough to give him a chance to run amok.

Midfield seems hard to judge also. Marchisio and Nedved without doubt. That channel four report was the first I heard of Marchisio's injury. So I am currently unsure of his availability. The same goes for MArchionni...I will be happy if he is injured. Because we will be forced to play on the floor, through the middle, and Giovinco could be included. The only other player who could take up a spot on the right wing, with camo and marchionni sidelined, is Brazzo...And thankfully, he isn't fit enough yet to play from the start. So maybe

Tiago Poulsen Nedved
    Giovinco
    Trezeguet Del Piero

That would be interesting. But unless Giovinco is going to play in the hole, as an attacking midfielder, he shouldn't be started. Because he will get mashed in the central midfield struggles for the ball. Further up the field, he will still get mashed, but he will earn us free kicks which del piero can pop past Cech.

Without Giovinco from the start...
    Tiago Poulsen Nedved
    Amauri Trezeguet Del Piero

Still, I hope for Marchisio.

With Marchisio, Chiellini, Buffon, and one of our attackers showing his quality, we could win this game.
    Sandro will have to play a huge game.

May 21, 2007
    massive blow but im not really worried because we have marchisio the little beast!
    will def be marchisio-tiago with marchisio playing a more 'sissoko' role...at least u no there aint gonna b any shit passing :wink:

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Now without Sissoko people will be even more worried about the counter-attack. What we just have to do is go for the win and field the 4-3-3. We'll have a difficult enough time scoring anyway, so might as well go for it.

C4ISR

Dec 18, 2005
    Although I agree with those arguing were not as comfortable with a different formation, raw determination might not be enough to see us through this time considering we failed to score an away goal.

A tactical surprise, coupled with our fighting spirit, could give us that little something extra. Chelsea have undoubtedly been scouting us since January, where I'm pretty sure we haven't used anything other than the 4-4-2. They won't have a gameplan for something different, and if they do, they surely haven't practiced it as much.

Plus it saves us the agony of having to watch Marchionni. He has done dick all season against weaker opposition. I can't see him doing anything vs Chelsea. I really hope he proves me wrong if he plays, but that hasn't been the case all season.

Buffon
    Gryger Legro Chiellini Molinaro
    Tiago Poulsen Nedved
    ADP
    Trez Amauri​

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    under Ranieri we have always played better against the big teams in big matches. It will take a HUGE performance of every player. Otherwise, we are out......
    This is one of the reason's I'm not as pessimist as the others, though I understand their concern. We are a hard team to beat at home and specially to big and powerful teams. Prestige is something we have never lost.

As for the formation, I think if Ranieri fields the formation I posted, this shows that he's careful and wouldn't want to concede a goal and depending on either counter attacks or set plays.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    Buffon
    Grygera-Mellberg-Chiellini-Molinaro
    Marchionni-Poulsen-Marchisio-Nedved
    Trezeguet-Del Piero

:frown:
    Why unhappy?

I would also say that I would start Salihamidzic if Marchionni doesn't make it. Brazzo is a proven big match player (however poor he is in normal games).

They're giving top billing to Liverpool strolling past Real? :disagree:

Cronios

Juventolog
    Jun 7, 2004
    We are a hard team to lose, but not a hard team to disqualify...
    Is Legro 100% fit to start? Since when? If not without him and Sissoko, we will concede at least one goal with certainty!!
    From there, we ll have to score 3 goals without Camo, Giovinco and Marchionni, thats nearly impossible, i would rather have to beat an offensive Real with Biri and Zalayeta, rather than a Chelsea pleased with a draw...
    Do you actually see us penetrating their defense 3 times?? We didnt even managed to create one chance at the first leg, when those players were available...

Hope, is the first step to disappointment...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)