[Champions League] JUVENTUS 1-1 Shakhtar Donetsk (Oct. 2nd 2012) (35 Viewers)

JUVE 1-1 Shakhtar Man of the Match

• Marchisio

• Bonucci

• Pirlo

• Asamoah

• Chiellini

• Will.i.an

Results are only viewable after voting.

forzajuve_27

Apr 14, 2005
Didn't see the match last night as I was watching Charlton also put in a poor performance against Udinese's reserves (Watford) but having watched the highlights it seems very much so like we escaped with a point, the defending did not look at all like Juventus I don't know what the hell it was like.

Matri's miss was shocking, I have never liked him and he is not Juventus standard when you look at all the forwards we have had throughout the years. I have to say we are Vucinic dependant such is the lack of the quality of our other forwards and he should not be taken off at any cost against a big side, even if he is having a bad game because he has shown in the past that he is capable of producing out of nothing even when playing poorly- Milan Coppa Italia Semi-Final as one example.

However to put this into perspective we shouldn't panic, we have a great team and we are playing the best football I have ever seen us play and I was at the Chelsea match and we have a lot of fight in this team also. Our destiny is still in our hands and you all know we have the quality to win our next four matches, not saying that it will be easy but it's achievable for sure. Forza Juve!

Buy on AliExpress.com

Bezzy

The Bookie Queen
Jun 5, 2010
If our defenders are "too static" for Shakhtar, then we are lost already. Our poor performance in the defense had nothing to do with the players being too static. We underestimated them, or were surprised by their quick counterattacks and them having no respect of the "great Juventus". In the end we have been lucky and drew 1-1. I'd be worried, if Conte wasn't our trainer. This is a different Juventus. As Conte is trying to get rid of our old bad habits, I know for sure he will not make the same mistake twice and underestimate them another time.

We will beat Chelsea. We will beat Shakhtar, should it be necessary.
barzagli and bonucci and chiellini looked bad also vs chelsea on the counter even genoa gives us trouble on the counter. They are good but we aren't very good vs strong and quick counter attacking squads something you barely see in italy. Also napoli scored twice on the counter vs us in supercup. So far conte didn't fix it.
Cos you can't make the defends faster and they are a bit to slow to play so high line vs good counter attacks side.

we could switch to a 4-3-3 to give them more protection. we can't expect licht and asamoah as wing backs to defend and attack all game long vs such a good side. So better to play 4-3-3 vs shaktar and other quick counter squads.

Halabalu

Dec 5, 2011
so we need to get a draw atleast. :scared:
we will struggle at their ground no doubt
our defenders are to static vs creative brazilians type players
william, oscar, teixera, luiz adriano all owned our defense for some part of the match
that won't be different in donetsk. So I rather be secure before that game.
so 2 draw of chelsea vs shaktar or both win one game is imo the best result for Juve.
In last game shakhtar won't change their way of playing, but Juve can be different. I hope Conte will make right conclusions from yesterday match. And very much will depends on their two clashes against Chelsea. If they fail they can break up psychologically and even won't win in Denmark. I also reckon that their game against us is not shows they are really stron enough. I think our problems against "not TOP clubs" hasn't disappeared, and as a result against Shakhtar we got so usual draw as it was during all last season.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
barzagli and bonucci and chiellini looked bad also vs chelsea on the counter even genoa gives us trouble on the counter. They are good but we aren't very good vs strong and quick counter attacking squads something you barely see in italy. Also napoli scored twice on the counter vs us in supercup. So far conte didn't fix it.
Cos you can't make the defends faster and they are a bit to slow to play so high line vs good counter attacks side.

we could switch to a 4-3-3 to give them more protection. we can't expect licht and asamoah as wing backs to defend and attack all game long vs such a good side. So better to play 4-3-3 vs shaktar and other quick counter squads.
Let's hope Carrera can fix it, I believe in him!

dann10

Ho visto Del Piero
Aug 26, 2008
I'm still hoping that we switch back to a 4-3-3. The first half of last season when we used it, I enjoyed watching our games so much.
Buffon
licht bonbon barza chello
MVP
Its the top three that I'm unsure of. Do we use Isla-Vuci-Asa? Isla-Vuci-Gio? Isla-Quag-Vuci? Gio-Vuci-Quag?

Either way, im hoping for a 4-3-3 return.

enzo

May 14, 2012

Well, I agree that, the way we played yesterday night, we are having problems putting of quick counterattacks. But that's not "our" problem, rather every team playing more offensive and relying on possession is having problems with this style of play. If we would have succeeded with our strategy of possession and domination in the first half, it had been easier to strike them back. But we didn't.

In the second half they were only waiting for us becoming exhausted...

Cheesio

Jul 11, 2006
You cannot win in Europe having no WC player in front. It's as simple as that.

Depth is overrated. You can't keep on playing 4 forwards and rotate them. they'll never have any understanding between them.

enzo

May 14, 2012
Beside that, regarding the starting XI. I didn't quite understand why Matri did start. Because of this single goal? While Quagliarella scored twice against Chelsea and against Chievo?

donpiero

Stella D'Argento
Jul 3, 2009
The main problem imo are our WBs in this 3-5-2, they just put us in a handicap position. Asa a midfielder who's being played out of position and by instinct won't go high up the wing and cross to the box 9 outa 10 times, and Licht who lacks skills on the ball and offers close to none offensively. That leaves us narrowed down attacking from the mid or go for long balls.
We bought Isla for this formation and we need him to play in order to get back his form not by sitting on the bench. Caceres would've been a better (though not ideal) choice than Licht too.
We also lacked intensity, we need to keep our mid in full sharpness for these CL games. So coaches must integrate our backups more in serie a games, so that we can trust them even for tough serie a games right before a CL.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
All in all it's a learning experience. Not being in C.L for so long and also keeps our feet back firmly on the ground since our come back against Chelsea where people were seriously getting carried away. Shakthars pressing was the key. Can't remember the last time we played and gave the ball away so many time. Oh yeah!! Against Chelsea we did. Switch to 4-3-3 conte, that's the exciting Juve.

- - - Updated - - -

Surprised they even got rated.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Abysmal performance, and no one stands out. MOM for me is the crossbar for rescuing that point for us, and ensuring we remained undefeated @ home (barely).

Shakhtar played like Juventus, and we played like absolute shit. Bonucci scored a great goal, but him (along with the entire defense) almost cost us the game in the last 10-15 minutes. Marchisio had a good first half, and gradually faded into oblivion by around the 65'th minute. Vidal was absolutely horrendous, as was Licht (who was extremely fortunate not to be sent off and concede a penalty early on). Asamoah was bad, as was the whole back line. Pirlo was sublime on a couple of occasions, and gave the ball away one too many times after that. Vucinic held the ball up and then give it away more and more as the game progressed. The strikers, and the team in general were in complete shambles, and we were totally outmuscled, outplayed, gave away too many cheap balls, and failed miserably in limiting the danger from Shakhtar on the counter. We made that little Brazilian monkey look like Messi, and had it not been for a huge slice of luck and Buffon saving us on a couple of occasions, we would have almost certainly got nothing from this game (and deserved it too).

I don't know why we played like this, or how we afforded them so much space and possession (and why we kept giving the fucking ball away), but we have made life difficult for ourselves. In the CL you really need to win your home games, and last night we didn't show enough urgency, hunger, or threaten enough to warrant the victory. If anything, Shakhtar looked far more potent and dangerous, and we barely escaped with a point. Those last 15 minutes were absolute torture, and every time they had the ball they showed purpose and looked dangerous.

In any case, this is a point gained, rather than two lost, and that's the irony of the situation. We must improve, and anything but 6 points in our next two CL outings is unacceptable.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Did wonder why our banners were upside down. I did check up on viagogo or what ever that sites called to buy a ticket for the shaktar game because my 4 month old son wanted to watch the game on his own as he's started teething and is dribbling quite a bit already, more thsn our players did. Also when he poos it looks like a chicken korma. So saves me and my fiancé a phone bill unlike moggi who obviously isn't into currys, unless he wanted to buy a LED tv.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
:tup: on most parts B81

Shocking to see our team fall apart like that and simply not press, bar the odd occasion. We just kept walking towards our own goal.. We simply didn't play our usual game or maybe we weren't able to as quite a few players looked absolutely dead from the get go. What the fuck is going on?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 35)