Champions League 2021-22 (7 Viewers)

Mar 10, 2009
The new format will see the initial phase contain one single league table, which includes all teams.
Each club will play eight league stage games against different opponents, with four home ties and four away.
The top eight will go through to the knockout stage, while those from ninth to 24th will compete in a two-legged play-off to progress

Lol this format is pathetic
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61388244

Strickland

May 17, 2019
dunno man, honestly. this latest defeat doesn't really fit the pattern. as you said, guardiola often overengineered his cl ties, especially some away matches, but this time their overall tactics were all right for 99% of these 2 matches. if i wanted to put some blame on guardiola, i'd say that some subs were too defensive (mahrez-fernandinho especially), and in most of the cases you can't really change the way your team play. i agree with you, if you have an offensive team then you can't and shouldn't park the bus. they didn't park the bus per se, still let their guards down and let real press them at the end before conceding those two goals within 2 minutes. overall they had every chance to progress still bottled the tie. club identity, bad luck or tactical mistake? prolly the combination of the 3.

as for real madrid, winning close matches on cl nights comes natural for them. same for never giving up. it's obviously part of their identity, no two ways about it. ancelotti (and allegedly the players ancelotti discussed the subs with lol) deserves credit for replacing his starter midfield though. i don't know how many coaches would have had the courage to sub out modric, kroos and casemiro too. camavinga and rodrygo were decisive. you can't pull a miracle like that without an expensive bench and a deep squad, still, ancelotti certainly had bigger balls than guardiola.
Y, in the past Guardiola couldve been blamed for not being flexible enough, but lately he has done a lot better.

Especially this year I think he was spot on with his tactics against Real, in the end he was mostly unlucky there.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Whats your theory/analysis for why his teams can bulldoze leagues with such consistency but keep coming short at the later stages of the CL?

I believe the football heritage of the club is definitely a factor but also the nature of his teams in general.

He designs the most intricate system of play compared probably in football history and that works 95% of the time especially in leagues where its rapid fire game after game with no breaks or time in between. But against the highest level opposition in the CL when the coaches can study and prep their teams for the match in full and have plenty of time to do so, he is faced with either sticking to his regular system (that he knows the opposition has studied and is very well versed in all the pressure points) or try something new and deviate from the system he has drilled into his players all year. His players are not used to playing outside the system and so cannot improvise in real time as effectively as those who always had a high degree of improv.

In a nutshell its a consequence of over-engineering the style of play all year. I think Conte's teams have a similar weakness. Klopp has a more balanced system imo.
:agree:

League football and cup football are almost two different sports.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
So would seeded teams still not play each other or you play a random 8 games?

- - - Updated - - -

minimum of 8 games means more guaranteed $ even if we suck:agnelli:
Who plays who thought? 36 teams but you only play 8 of them, and all teams in one league table. Say for example we play Real, City, PSG, Bayern, Zenit, Celtic, Salzburg, Basel. But then Arsenal plays Betis, Lyon, Napoli, Dortmund, Anderlecht, Besiktas, Copenhagen, Olympiacos. And we win 14 pts and they win 15 pts, and we out. They can manipulate even more than before with this BS

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
We are in pot 2, and we could potentially get PSG, Bayern, Real, City or Liverpool from Pot 1. We could also get lucky and draw Porto/Ajax or Frankfurt. Pot 3 has some tricky teams, especially the Germans and Portuguese, but pot 4 is trash.

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
Who plays who thought? 36 teams but you only play 8 of them, and all teams in one league table. Say for example we play Real, City, PSG, Bayern, Zenit, Celtic, Salzburg, Basel. But then Arsenal plays Betis, Lyon, Napoli, Dortmund, Anderlecht, Besiktas, Copenhagen, Olympiacos. And we win 14 pts and they win 15 pts, and we out. They can manipulate even more than before with this BS
Just saw your post,, hence this late reply.
It's a dumb format, but I don't think your scenario is possible. I believe teams will be divided in 9 pots depending on the team's coefficient. For example: City, Real, Bayern, Liverpool in pot 1; PSG, Juve, Chelsea, Barcelona in pot 2 etc. Every team will then get an opponent from every pot except their own. That way they're excluding the possibility of Arsenal getting 6 or 7 easy opponents while Juve getting all of Real, PSG, City and Bayern.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)