Champions League 2020-21 #CeferinOut (43 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
I haven't seen another player with that combination of skill and athleticism. Unstoppable in his prime. Cristiano has/had the tricks and the goal scoring to go with his athleticism, but goofy Ronaldo had this fantastic technique you normally only see in a second striker or trequartista. And he had tricks as well.

TBH, even without the injury he may have been in his prime in his early 20s anyway. For someone so explosive and muscular I doubt he'd have kept that pace past 26 or so.
He was something else. If not for his injuries then he would've surpassed Messi and Ronaldo imo.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
He isnt famous outside Juve/Calcio fans for some reason.
People of a certain age would say differently, but I agree that he has become forgotten a little over time by people who don't follow football as strictly.

I've worked with several people over the years who were 50 or so years old who watched Juve live playing against their teams in Europe (Villa, Liverpool, United, etc.) and when I ask them about the games they always say what a hell of a team Juve were, with Platini and Boniek in particular, the toughness of Gentile, but they always mention Scirea, just an unbelievable defender and footballer, could do everything, and always with precision.

He has fallen into the shadow of Beckenbauer and Baresi in a similar kind of role, and I think a lot of it is because of multiple successes over a period of time. Scirea won the World Cup and the European Cup, ICC, many trophies, and he was extremely likeable, but he doesn't have multiple tournament success, didn't play in such a dominant international or club team. You can tie this argument in with that I said in the other thread (De Ligt?) about Juve not taking their chances to win multiple tournaments when we had a great team (80s and 90s).

lgorTudor

Jan 15, 2015
This game man.. It's probably the best I've ever seen from any player.

Back in my village we had only black and white TV so I saw R9 in black&bright shirt and instantly assumed he was Juve because I knew Juve had black&white kits. Turns out he was inter but after his transfer to Barcelona I switched to supporting the real Juve. The 2003 final was really hard to watch btw

Circling back to Beckenbauer I find it very hard to judge players from before the 80s because football was so different. He was GOAT in his time that's all you can say with great confidence.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Speaking of the Juventus mid/late 90's. Holy moly a team you guys had back then, you should've won at least one more CL imo. Definitely the strongest team in that time periode.

- - - Updated - - -

Back in my village we had only black and white TV so I saw R9 in black&bright shirt and instantly assumed he was Juve because I knew Juve had black&white kits. Turns out he was inter but after his transfer to Barcelona I switched to supporting the real Juve. The 2003 final was really hard to watch btw

Circling back to Beckenbauer I find it very hard to judge players from before the 80s because football was so different. He was GOAT in his time that's all you can say with great confidence.
Wont lie, he's fascinating me. Seems he was ahead of his time as a player.

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005

How did you feel about Del Piero outplaying R9 back in Italy? Earning the nickname Il Fenomeno Vero.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
My dream team would be:

1 Buffon

2 Cafu - 5 Beckenbauer - 3 Maldini - 6 Carlos

14 Cruiff - 21 Zidane - 8 Platini

10 Maradona

9 Pele - 7 Cristiano
scirea instead of robby carlos, move maldini to lb, r9 instead of pelé, and i'm in

it would still concede 5 though lol

Mokku

Apr 17, 2019
You have to look at the team that they played in as well rather than the stats. I say Xavi and Iniesta should be together in the first team, they were surrounded by stars but they were by far the most important players. I take CR7 over fat Ronaldo because he has been clutch for years and can single handedly take teams through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 37)