Champions League 2019/20 (29 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
The number of overall trophies is a pretty poor way to determine European pedigree of a certain club.

Sevilla win another 3 EL's and they'll be in the top 10 for number of international trophies won. That doesn't mean they have better European pedigree than the likes of Man United or Inter for example. That list doesn't mean much to me.
Agreed. Thats why the list I showed gives a better idea about the most historic clubs in the European Cup/CL and who has the most pedigree in terms of persistence and overall achievements to go far.

Also agreed about the number of overall trophies doesn't give the full picture.

Liverpool and Bayern have less international trophies than Barca but I'd certainly say that the titles won by those two clubs (BM and LP) are of more value. Barca have won 4 Cup winners cup which is impressive, but Liverpool and Bayern got more European Cups and also won the UEFA Cup when it was of much value. They won the Inter-Cities Fairs cup 3 times which no one cares about really.

A Barcelona fan would probably disagree with me.

Bayern and Juve are also one of the few clubs to have won all the international trophies, only a handful of clubs did so.

Last edited:

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Actually the first 5 is the real (a lil pun) problem.
1st 6 I'd say. They went 30+ years without winning after the mid 60s, before beating us in 98. Rest is history :sad:

- - - Updated - - -

Agreed. Thats why the list I showed gives a better idea about the most historic clubs in the European Cup/CL and who has the most pedigree in terms of persistence and overall achievements to go far.

Also agreed about the number of overall trophies doesn't give the full picture.

Liverpool and Bayern have less international trophies than Barca but I'd certainly say that the titles won by those two clubs (BM and LP) are of more value. Barca have won 4 Cup winners cup which is impressive, but Liverpool and Bayern got more European Cups and also won the UEFA Cup when it was of much value. They won the Inter-Cities Fairs cup 3 times which no one cares about really.

A Barcelona fan would probably disagree with me.

Bayern and Juve are also one of the few clubs to have won all the international trophies, only a handful of clubs did so.
I don't see how a barca fan would disagree with a straight face, youre both right here, it's just a fun game to count them, since Milan started doing it in 2007 to claim to be the biggest club in the world.

UEFA Cup used to be a top competition. To demonstrate, picture this:
Real, Juve, Liverpool, Bayern, PSG, Porto, Ajax etc. in the CL while:
barca, Atletico, Sevilla, City, Chelsea, United, inter, Lazio, Atalanta, Dortmund, Leipzig, Gladbach(?), Benfica, PSV, Marseille(?) etc. make it to UEFA Cup. Would you say it's inferior to the above? It's a different competition in the 90s and prior completely to today, that's why Bayerns, Juventus', inters, Reals, victories in it are more valuable than some recent ones. Compare the difficulty to the early CL editions and you get a even better understanding at what the UEFA Cup once was.

I would also like to separate the Super Cup and World Cup from the others. Those are (in the words of tuz) 'glorified friendlies' and can't hold the same value as a competition that is played over an entire season. So if you would want to value them accordingly, I'd say CL is 5, EL is 4, Cup winners Cup 3, and the other two a 1. Though that's still flawed because again, CL in the 60s =/= CL today and UEFA Cup in the 90s =/= EL today. There is really no proper way to evaluate it properly unless you do tons of research, which no one will bother to

Last edited:

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
1st 6 I'd say. They went 30+ years without winning after the mid 60s, before beating us in 98. Rest is history :sad:

- - - Updated - - -

I don't see how a barca fan would disagree with a straight face, youre both right here, it's just a fun game to count them, since Milan started doing it in 2007 to claim to be the biggest club in the world.

UEFA Cup used to be a top competition. To demonstrate, picture this:
Real, Juve, Liverpool, Bayern, PSG, Porto, Ajax etc. in the CL while:
barca, Atletico, Sevilla, City, Chelsea, United, inter, Lazio, Atalanta, Dortmund, Leipzig, Gladbach(?), Benfica, PSV, Marseille(?) etc. make it to UEFA Cup. Would you say it's inferior to the above? It's a different competition in the 90s and prior completely to today, that's why Bayerns, Juventus', inters, Reals, victories in it are more valuable than some recent ones. Compare the difficulty to the early CL editions and you get a even better understanding at what the UEFA Cup once was.

I would also like to separate the Super Cup and World Cup from the others. Those are (in the words of tuz) 'glorified friendlies' and can't hold the same value as a competition that is played over an entire season. So if you would want to value them accordingly, I'd say CL is 5, EL is 4, Cup winners Cup 3, and the other two a 1. Though that's still flawed because again, CL in the 60s =/= CL today and UEFA Cup in the 90s =/= EL today. There is really no proper way to evaluate it properly unless you do tons of research, which no one will bother to
Ageed.

I also forgot to say that it was Barca I meant won 3 Inter Cities fairs cup. Some might look at their 18 European Honours and think "wow", they're the second greatest only to Real Madrid, but that's just not true imo. Inter Cities Fairs Cup is not really something I would put value into, definitely below the Uefa Cup Winners Cup.

Inter Cities Fairs Cup seems to have been more like friendlies, same with the Toto Cup which no one really took serious.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Ageed.

I also forgot to say that it was Barca I meant won 3 Inter Cities fairs cup. Some might look at their 18 European Honours and think "wow", they're the second greatest only to Real Madrid, but that's just not true imo. Inter Cities Fairs Cup is not really something I would put value into, definitely below the Uefa Cup Winners Cup.

Inter Cities Fairs Cup seems to have been more like friendlies, same with the Toto Cup which no one really took serious.
That was no official competition, it's like the International Champions Cup today, friendly tournament that was played by random teams based on no rating at all. Only after UEFA took it over and made the UEFA Cup did it become a relevant competition. It's like taking the Mitropa Cup seriously.

Intertoto Cup was kinda different. It was a official UEFA tournament and it gave you qualification to the UEFA Cup. It's a small competition but a relevant one regardless

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
Even in the last 50 years, Real has more CL titles than what Bayern have collected throughout their existence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, but it's 6 vs 7, as opposed to 6 vs 13. You can make a case for Bayern (Liverpool have won 6 during this period as well, but they haven't been a dominant force domestically) and even Barca (5 CL titles and a plethora of domestic accolades, not to mention two trebles).

RoiLezard

LizardKing in black&white
Apr 7, 2018
True, but it's 6 vs 7, as opposed to 6 vs 13. You can make a case for Bayern (Liverpool have won 6 during this period as well, but they haven't been a dominant force domestically) and even Barca (5 CL titles and a plethora of domestic accolades, not to mention two trebles).
I truly admire Bayern for what they’ve achieved in recent years and for their stature in Europe. However, it’s not unfounded to say that they are what they are in Germany due to the lack of a direct rivals who have the same resources they do, more or less. In England, Liverpool faces eternal rivalry with MU, there’s also Arsenal and Chelsea, most recently emerging teams like Tottenham and MC. Despite of that, Liverpool still managed to win the same number of CL’s as Bayern. In Spain, Real never had it easy as they have a ferocious sporting/political rivalry with Barça who still managed to win the CL 5 times, 1 less than Bayern.

Bayern deserve all the allure about them but I think Real is by far the GOAT of club football, 2nd to 5th place are very debatable.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I truly admire Bayern for what they’ve achieved in recent years and for their stature in Europe. However, it’s not unfounded to say that they are what they are in Germany due to the lack of a direct rivals who have the same resources they do, more or less. In England, Liverpool faces eternal rivalry with MU, there’s also Arsenal and Chelsea, most recently emerging teams like Tottenham and MC. Despite of that, Liverpool still managed to win the same number of CL’s as Bayern. In Spain, Real never had it easy as they have a ferocious sporting/political rivalry with Barça who still managed to win the CL 5 times, 1 less than Bayern.

Bayern deserve all the allure about them but I think Real is by far the GOAT of club football, 2nd to 5th place are very debatable.

Real is definitely the GOAT of clubs over the last 100+ years, but I said last 50 years because it makes for a more interesting discussion, and it's not as clear cut ;)

RoiLezard

LizardKing in black&white
Apr 7, 2018
Real is definitely the GOAT of clubs over the last 100+ years, but I said last 50 years because it makes for a more interesting discussion, and it's not as clear cut ;)
Agreed, that makes it an open race but is it safe to say that Juve would not be part of the debate?

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
You are just pulling out an arbitrary number just to make Bayern look good.
Real Madrid have won 7 CL's in the Champions league era while Bayern have won 3. The Champions league format is a far better metric to judge European dominance than over 4-5 decades purely because you had higher quality teams competing in the competition as opposed to the old format.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
You are just pulling out an arbitrary number just to make Bayern look good.
Real Madrid have won 7 CL's in the Champions league era while Bayern have won 3. The Champions league format is a far better metric to judge European dominance than over 4-5 decades purely because you had higher quality teams competing in the competition as opposed to the old format.
Why would I want to make Bayern look good Bro? I'm a Juventus supporter through and through. I can guarantee you, we won't look good with any metric :p :sigh:

I just want to initiate a healthy debate :D

Xperd

Allegrophobic Infidel
Jun 1, 2012
Why would I want to make Bayern look good Bro? I'm a Juventus supporter through and through. I can guarantee you, we won't look good with any metric :p :sigh:

I just want to initiate a healthy debate :D
But it's not a debate though :p

Madrid >>> anyone in any era of European football

- - - Updated - - -

In CL era

Madrid - 7 CL's 7 finals
Barca - 4 CL's 5 finals
Bayern - 3 CL's 6 finals
Milan - 3 CL's 6 finals
United - 2 CL's 4 finals
Liverpool - 2 CL's 4 finals
Juventus - 1 CL 6 finals ( :sergio: )

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 27)