Champions League 2019/20 (20 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Softcore Juventino
Jul 14, 2006
So they're showing a lot of retro footages all over, and it's just all so painful for a Juve fan. Quarantine has been vintage-depressing.
Same here. Watched some great CL victories in the past but also watched all of our lost Finals. :sad:

Note: CL 2003 Final should be replayed. It was controversial and irregular.

Poslano sa mog SM-J530F koristeći Tapatalk

Oct 23, 2011
I call bullshit. The final was on June 3. Before that, our real last competitive match was the Coppa final against Lazio on May 17. While we played 2 (meaningless) serie A games in between the two finals, that gives us 2 weeks to stay in shape and prepare. There is no reason for us to be exhausted after 45 minutes in the most important game of the season, if not the Allegri era. The team just collapsed mentally after conceding that second goal, and totally died after the third. That's what inferioriry complex does to you - the difference between players like Ramos and Ronaldo, and with all due respect, our old guard.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I call bullshit. The final was on June 3. Before that, our real last competitive match was the Coppa final against Lazio on May 17. While we played 2 (meaningless) serie A games in between the two finals, that gives us 2 weeks to stay in shape and prepare. There is no reason for us to be exhausted after 45 minutes in the most important game of the season, if not the Allegri era. The team just collapsed mentally after conceding that second goal, and totally died after the third. That's what inferioriry complex does to you - the difference between players like Ramos and Ronaldo, and with all due respect, our old guard.
I don't call bullshit. Source: watching the game. Mandzukic and Pjanic were done fairly early in the second half, we played that half with a handicap.

With Pjanic who knows what the answer or reason is. I always take the piss out of him for being tired, but that's because he is one of the least athletic sportsmen I can think of. Auschwitz survivors have more imposing physiques, and the guy seems to run himself into exhaustion over a season. He was well on the way to doing it again this season. He puts up decent running numbers, but it's hard to see how much of it is off the ball. For example Pirlo used to do a lot more, even as a 33 year old.

Mandzukic you might remember got injured by a stupid tackle by Mbaye of Bologna in the last league game, and he wasn't ever going to be 100% for the final, but of course we weren't going to make a point of it as it gives a psychological edge. As it turned out he still scored that fantastic goal in the first half, but he was a shadow player second half.

Real Madrid could fall in shit in the CL and get up smelling of roses, but they also make some of that luck. We've never seemed to get it right at the right time, but that 2017 final just had too many things go against us.

You're absolutely right about Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos, of course, because they have that mentality that comes from winning big trophies and tournaments and generally being ruthless assholes on the field. Also it's true that mentality wavers with conceding that goal, but it's doubly difficult if you're carrying players. Tired minds also mean tired bodies, when you're winning that adrenaline pulls you through.

Cerval

Feb 20, 2016
I remember us being sluggish even in the first half. That Ronaldo goal 20 minutes-in killed us mentally. We equalized surprisingly (and what a goal that was) but then the game wasn't developing into us becoming proactive, We simply played to match them, and not to beat them.

Bianconero81

Ageing Veteran
Jan 26, 2009
I remember us being sluggish even in the first half. That Ronaldo goal 20 minutes-in killed us mentally. We equalized surprisingly (and what a goal that was) but then the game wasn't developing into us becoming proactive, We simply played to match them, and not to beat them.
I beg to differ Bro. I feel we were in the ascendancy as the half progressed. We didn't allow their early goal to deflate us - we didn't capitulate. Honestly, I felt we could go and win the game in the 2nd half, but those two quick goals killed off all hope. We were slow and sluggish in the 2nd half, and having a pathetic bench, lacking depth, didn't help our cause.

I still think our team in 2015 was better - the midfield was far superior, and having "The Apache" up front gave us a cutting edge. It's a shame certain incidents went against us in that 2015 final because I felt we matched Barcelona, and during certain periods of the game we were even better.

No one expected us to reach that 2015 final (3 juggernauts at the time in the Semis - Barca, Madrid and Bayern) and we did it the hard way, eliminating an impressive Dortmund and Real in the process. In 2017, I think experience and moments of individual brilliance guided us to the final, but I firmly believe that 2015 team was better.

As for the current season, I think we can actually reach the final if we get past Lyon. I'm not saying this because I feel the squad we have is perfect (far from it) - we even have a worse coach now. I'm only saying this because this 3 month break might actually do wonders for the players, and with all the EPL big guns eliminated (except for City), PSG having no competitive games, and the likes of Barca, Bayern, and Madrid having their own on field/off field issues to deal with, this might actually be a great opportunity for us.

Oct 23, 2011
I don't call bullshit. Source: watching the game. Mandzukic and Pjanic were done fairly early in the second half, we played that half with a handicap.

With Pjanic who knows what the answer or reason is. I always take the piss out of him for being tired, but that's because he is one of the least athletic sportsmen I can think of. Auschwitz survivors have more imposing physiques, and the guy seems to run himself into exhaustion over a season. He was well on the way to doing it again this season. He puts up decent running numbers, but it's hard to see how much of it is off the ball. For example Pirlo used to do a lot more, even as a 33 year old.

Mandzukic you might remember got injured by a stupid tackle by Mbaye of Bologna in the last league game, and he wasn't ever going to be 100% for the final, but of course we weren't going to make a point of it as it gives a psychological edge. As it turned out he still scored that fantastic goal in the first half, but he was a shadow player second half.

Real Madrid could fall in shit in the CL and get up smelling of roses, but they also make some of that luck. We've never seemed to get it right at the right time, but that 2017 final just had too many things go against us.

You're absolutely right about Ronaldo and Sergio Ramos, of course, because they have that mentality that comes from winning big trophies and tournaments and generally being ruthless assholes on the field. Also it's true that mentality wavers with conceding that goal, but it's doubly difficult if you're carrying players. Tired minds also mean tired bodies, when you're winning that adrenaline pulls you through.
You're making great points and can't disagree with you. However I recently re-watched the game, and it became painfully obvious that we were at no point really in control of that game (even in the first half) and were pretty much dominated from the beginning of the second half onwards. We could barely keep possession, didn't create any chances and Real kept knocking on the door and played the ball comfortably from side to side. We may have had some issues, but the players could probably feel it just wasn't going to be our night and pretty much gave up after the 2nd goal. Allegri's words: “In Cardiff in the first 15 minutes of the second half mentally we suffered and we just gave up a bit, and they were able to score the third goal right after the second. In that moment we left the competition"

For if you can stomach rewatching the game: https://live.bleacherreport.com/Soc...AChampionsLeague-11976199&utm_medium=Internal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 19)