Status
Not open for further replies.

tosh_rose

Aug 21, 2010
that was La Liga.
My bad, all I remember reading was something Real related about VAR... :D

I'm a big proponent of VAR, but the system we have in place now isn't working imo.
To me there are two or three key topics that should be discussed and later improved. The first one is the time that it takes, it is too long, perhaps the moment the assistant starts telling the head ref about the situation, the head ref should immediately go to the screen, instead of standing and listening to the assisstant for a minute or two and then rushing to see the replay.

Another one - nobody`s sure who`s in charge of a game, the head ref or the VAR? They said that the ref can ask and use VAR in 4 cases before the last Serie A season started, but during the campaign we saw that it was not like that - it was VAR that alarms the ref about a situation and asks/tells him to watch the replay and change his decision, that is not how an assisstant works, that`s how a boss operates - telling his employers what to do or re-do. It`s ok either way, but if VAR is superior, they should admit and declare it.

The most annoying thing is players/coaches gestures, showing the ref to see VAR because they dont agree with a decision he made. I hate it when everyone starts jumping around and draws imaginary TV screens with his fingers in the air. That gesture should be punishable the same way as when a player makes a gesture to the ref to show a card to someone.

It still needs some work, and also human error cannot be eliminated, but I feel VAR was more positive than negative, it was useful in numerous situations..

Jun 6, 2015

To me there are two or three key topics that should be discussed and later improved. The first one is the time that it takes, it is too long, perhaps the moment the assistant starts telling the head ref about the situation, the head ref should immediately go to the screen, instead of standing and listening to the assisstant for a minute or two and then rushing to see the replay.

Another one - nobody`s sure who`s in charge of a game, the head ref or the VAR? They said that the ref can ask and use VAR in 4 cases before the last Serie A season started, but during the campaign we saw that it was not like that - it was VAR that alarms the ref about a situation and asks/tells him to watch the replay and change his decision, that is not how an assisstant works, that`s how a boss operates - telling his employers what to do or re-do. It`s ok either way, but if VAR is superior, they should admit and declare it.

The most annoying thing is players/coaches gestures, showing the ref to see VAR because they dont agree with a decision he made. I hate it when everyone starts jumping around and draws imaginary TV screens with his fingers in the air. That gesture should be punishable the same way as when a player makes a gesture to the ref to show a card to someone.

It still needs some work, and also human error cannot be eliminated, but I feel VAR was more positive than negative, it was useful in numerous situations..
There are two different ways that VAR is used.

1. The ref can ask to review a situation
2. VAR can advice ref to review a situation

Referee on the pitch is in charge and makes the last decision. Of course there is some shared responsibility with VAR but that's only a good thing as it relieves some of the pressure from the referee.

Dantes

Dec 15, 2017

That's how a terrible boss works. Any sensible person would always consider the view of his assistants, and accept or reject those views as they see fit.

The buck has to stop with the referee on the pitch. He is the one that has to manage the players. So he has to have the final say on everything.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
I think it worked great in this WC. There will always be mistakes tho, unless some super AI is introduced.
There were times when it was fantastic. The thing that most comes to mind is that Neymar phantom penalty against Costa Rica. That would have been very fucked up.

But the penalties of Iran against Portugal and France against Croatia were both a wrong application of the rules.

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
There were times when it was fantastic. The thing that most comes to mind is that Neymar phantom penalty against Costa Rica. That would have been very fucked up.

But the penalties of Iran against Portugal and France against Croatia were both a wrong application of the rules.
They still came down to referee decision rather than var itself.

Lorenzo Juve

May 4, 2012
So besides us, who does everyone have as big contenders in the champions league this year? Imo I dont really see any big favourites. I could see maybe PSG finally stepping it up this year, but wouldn't count them out to choke again. Plus I get the sneaking suspicion we're going to play them now that Gigi is there...

Madrid will be rebuilding. I could maybe see Manure making a run. Barca?

ColloRosso

Jul 16, 2018

Every fucking year with this Barca and City hype

Exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

That fucking bald fraud got 3 buckets full of football in row from Jurgen. Still they hype him like a god. Always protected by big teams huge spendings. And well Barça is a house on fire. They fare better on Copa del Rey :lol:

Jul 8, 2018
So besides us, who does everyone have as big contenders in the champions league this year? Imo I dont really see any big favourites. I could see maybe PSG finally stepping it up this year, but wouldn't count them out to choke again. Plus I get the sneaking suspicion we're going to play them now that Gigi is there...

Madrid will be rebuilding. I could maybe see Manure making a run. Barca?
I think Liverpool will make it deep again. They're attack is well known but it seems their defense has been getting shored up along with Alisson coming.

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I think Liverpool will make it deep again. They're attack is well known but it seems their defense has been getting shored up along with Alisson coming.
I think Pool will run into a wall next season. Majority of the teams they faced in Europe last season either underestimated them or didnt do their homework.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Jul 8, 2018
I think Pool will run into a wall next season. Majority of the teams they faced in Europe last season either underestimated them or didnt do their homework.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk
I think they benefitted from an easier road to the final but they have a strong team, their front 3 is lethal and their new acquisitions have shored up their lack of depth in attack and created a strong midfield and backline. Give it to a few months when they all start to gel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 20)