car to choose (1 Viewer)

OP
NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #61
    ++ [ originally posted by Elnur_E65 ] ++

I meant that if you want something that would accelerate faster than W201 E320, you can buy an E39 with a 3.0 or 3.5 liter engines, not the 528i.

Furthermore, if you want a 528i, you are looking at the older models, because 528 was produced between 1996 and 2000 (or 2001). So, if you shoot for a 530i or 535i, you are automatically looking at newer models- with facelifted lights, bumpers and some interior.
    thanks, actually im not looking for newer ones because i dont have the budget to get a 2003 0r 2004 model, but im considerring the 2001 530i or the 2000 528i (i didnt find a 2000 530i). can i ask u for one more favour? can u post pics of a 2001 530i? :)

Buy on AliExpress.com

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Sure, here is exterior of a 2001 E39 530i. Not too many changes after the facelift- front bumber is different, and of course, those magical headlights (as on my avatar)

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Lastly- great sports seats BMW offers. Feels like you're in a F1 car. Brand new will cost around $3,000. But you can get decent used many times less than that.

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
    Elnur_E65-I have never even heard of E34 or E39....are they modified M5s or something? If so, I am so jealous! my dad totaled his '92 saab 900 turbo convertible, and now he's looking for a replacement. BMW is too expensive though....:( he's found an extremely nice '94 900 turbo convertible spec. commemorative edition (last model year). dark grey with tan leather/black trim inside. nicest saab I've ever seen! but can't compare to bmw power. I heard that the new M5 will have 500 horses :shocked: but I agree with you on the styling. I like the X3, X5 is not too bad, Z4 is sweet (as is the Z3 M edition) but the 3, 5, and 7 series are not as cool and lean as the older look. they have lost the sleek yet subtle look, and now they are almost like an acura-type style or something :yuck:

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Yeah, Beemers are expensive in this country (gas is more expensive in Europe, that's why I think they depreciate so much there).

E** is just a code BMW uses for its wagons. For example, a 1988 - 1995 5 series is an E34. 1996 to 2003- E39, etc.

OP
    NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #71
    thanks alot Elnur, look i have another question (ya i know im a little jerk :D), the 530i is v6 or v8?

another question is: can't i put those angel eyes on a 2000 528i?

concerning 528i and 530i, im still confused, some are telling me that the inline-6 engine on the 528i is very potent and u dont feel the difference between the 528i and the 530i when it comes to performance....

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by NEDVED ] ++
    thanks alot Elnur, look i have another question (ya i know im a little jerk :D), the 530i is v6 or v8?

another question is: can't i put those angel eyes on a 2000 528i?

concerning 528i and 530i, im still confused, some are telling me that the inline-6 engine on the 528i is very potent and u dont feel the difference between the 528i and the 530i when it comes to performance....
    1. 530 is a V6. Only a 540 has 4.4 liter V8 (I think the engine is called M60). You'll go bankrupt on the gas :D. There is an E39 with a V4 actually. A 520. Was never released in the US though and I am not sure if they still produce it. Speaking of the engines, BMW has some of the most sophisticated diesel engines out there. The 3.0 liter diesel engine's performance is almost as good as the gasoline one. Do check the specs for details though. Those are more expensive too.

2. Yes, a friend of mine who lives in Germany did that. You can get those eyes in the stores. I am sure the price has gone down now. When they came out they were $1300 for a pair!

3. I've never actually driven a 530i, so I can't compare. They did some changes to the engines during that facelift, but I don't remember what exactly they did. Performance-wise though, the 530 is much better than older 528. But it is installed on newer models.

Are you still considering other cars? How about LADA?

OP
    NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #73

1. 530 is a V6. Only a 540 has 4.4 liter V8 (I think the engine is called M60). You'll go bankrupt on the gas :D. There is an E39 with a V4 actually. A 520. Was never released in the US though and I am not sure if they still produce it. Speaking of the engines, BMW has some of the most sophisticated diesel engines out there. The 3.0 liter diesel engine's performance is almost as good as the gasoline one. Do check the specs for details though. Those are more expensive too.

2. Yes, a friend of mine who lives in Germany did that. You can get those eyes in the stores. I am sure the price has gone down now. When they came out they were $1300 for a pair!

3. I've never actually driven a 530i, so I can't compare. They did some changes to the engines during that facelift, but I don't remember what exactly they did. Performance-wise though, the 530 is much better than older 528. But it is installed on newer models.

Are you still considering other cars? How about LADA?
    actually im interested in BMW and Mercedes-Benz, LADA has a low reputation and im not considerring it.

anyway, thanks for the info...
    if u have any recommendation i appreciate it.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    You're welcome anytime.

It's all the matter of how much money you're ready to spend. My personal experience- the newer the car- the better. Also, the older previous owner was- the better condition a car will be.

I would also advise taking the car you're about to buy to a BMW service center and have them run all the tests on it, to make sure everything is working properly. If something needs to be replaced you can negotiate the price further with the owner.

OP
    NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #75
    You're welcome anytime.

It's all the matter of how much money you're ready to spend. My personal experience- the newer the car- the better. Also, the older previous owner was- the better condition a car will be.

I would also advise taking the car you're about to buy to a BMW service center and have them run all the tests on it, to make sure everything is working properly. If something needs to be replaced you can negotiate the price further with the owner.
    im going for the 2001 530i , as for the service, there is the bmw service center where u pay like 15 $ a month for checking the car for me and tell me if it needs something..

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
    The 530 engine is better than the 528 engine interms of performance:

528i:
    Inline 6 2.8L 193bhp (190bhp in US) 280Nm

530i:
    Inline 6 3.0L 231bhp (225bhp if you are in the US) 300Nm..

Elnur, I have to disagree about the E65 7 series (the current 7 series that is). I don't think it looks good, I like the current S class more.
    Previously there were no competition, previous look of 7 and 5 were a killer for the previous look S and E. NOW teh E is much nicer than the 5 and the S class is nicer than the 7. But thats just my opinion.

The 5 series is a total crap. As much as I loved the E39 5 series I really hate this one. IT IS UGLY. I feel sorry for the V10 500+bhp M engine that is under the hood of the M5. The looks are really killing the car.
    Ofcourse the driving experience is, undoubtfully, a dream. Still, the the exterior design is really important.

The 6 series, well from the rear it looks like the Hyundai coupe and I was really against it when it first came out. Now, I feel it is starting to grow on me. May be because I saw the M6.
    Things I hate about the 6 series:
    1- I feel the rear end the front end don't go together
    2- I feel the interior is just a large size of a 3 series coupe.

What I like about it:
    1- Although I commented about the interior as I did above, it is a very simple straight forward interior and thats something I like.
    2- The fact that it looks OK, not amazing just ok, and it has a 500+bhp V10 option makes it adorable.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
    Overall I think.....Both are ofcourse very famous and respected brands...

BMW : sportier, better handling, better engine response

Benz : Classier, Interior more comfortable

So to me it is more of a choice between "Driving Pleasure" or "Seating Comfort". Usually I'd say if ur drivin it ur self then BMW is funner.

I don't have experience driving the model u are considering but I have plenty of experience driving many other Mercedes and BMWs (its nice to have rich friends don't u think?)

OP
    NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #78
    thanks guys for your opinion, Elnur_E65 just one last question :D, whats the difference between the V6 and the Inline-6 engines, and is the 530i equiped with the inline-6 ?

Apr 12, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by NEDVED ] ++
    thanks guys for your opinion, Elnur_E65 just one last question :D, whats the difference between the V6 and the Inline-6 engines, and is the 530i equiped with the inline-6 ?
    BMW does not make a V-6 engine. V-8 is as far as it goes. They use the I-6's because they are efficient, provide more torque, and they take up less engine compartment space. The 3.2L I-6 engine in the M3 was so big they still had to slant it back 15° and add a second sump pump.

I want to know why more people don't use the W-8 or W12, hell, why not a W-16?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)