car to choose (5 Viewers)

Henry

Sep 30, 2003
I know that the impreza wrx is a very good car-fast, cheap, etc, but I just can't stand subaru and it's image, especially where I live here. not many WRXs, but lots of wagons with John Kerry stickers :D

OP
NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #43
    i appreciate your opinions guys, but its either MB e320 or BMW 528i, im not interested in subaro nor opel nova...

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
    I am 10 days late but here are my inputs:
    1- Performance:
    The 3.2L V6 benz engine produces more torque and more output than the BMW 2.8L Inline 6. The Benz puts out 218bhp 310Nm where the Bimmer puts out 193bhp 280Nm. The thing that really is more for the Benz is that there is torque everywhere on the rev band, where the BMW are just lower on that aspect. This is why the E320 would be the superior car on the highway.
    On the track I am sure that the BMW would have the upper hand, due to it well balanced chassis, responsive engine and the fact that you can get it in manual transmission. Even the autobox of the BMW is just really smooth and classy.

2- Luxary and comfort:
    They are both top of their class and as some said you cannot go wrong. Still the 5 series feels more expensive and premium than the E class. The Suspenssions are better on the BMW as well. The engine in both cars are smooth, but the E class due to its higher midrange torque feels more relaxed.

3- Exterior design:
    This is something highly subjective, I really don't like how the previous generation E class and CLK looked. I felt they looked cheap.
    On the other hand if someone asked me what is the ultimate sport sedan ever produced without thinking I will immediately say the BMW E39 M5. I really liked how the E39 5 series looked. The looks were not offensive as the current BMW styling. They were more relaxed and ready for you to look at them every day and every minute and every second.

4- Interior design:
    I think that the E has a harder seats aging tachos and dials, where in the 5 series though the dials are old but they don't feel as old as the Mercs dials do. Everything in the BMW is easy to look and you do feel that everything was designed together. Where on the Merc you really get the feeling that the person who designed the look of the central consule has nothing to do with the person designing the tachos.

In your shoes:
    Unless I got really disappointed by the BMWs 2.8L engine's performance I would not consider an E320. If you managed to find a BMW 540i then go buy the car and don't think about anything else.

Hope that was clear and helpful..

OP
    NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #55
    ++ [ originally posted by ZAF3000 ] ++
    1- Performance:
    The 3.2L V6 benz engine produces more torque and more output than the BMW 2.8L Inline 6. The Benz puts out 218bhp 310Nm where the Bimmer puts out 193bhp 280Nm. The thing that really is more for the Benz is that there is torque everywhere on the rev band, where the BMW are just lower on that aspect. This is why the E320 would be the superior car on the highway.
    On the track I am sure that the BMW would have the upper hand, due to it well balanced chassis, responsive engine and the fact that you can get it in manual transmission. Even the autobox of the BMW is just really smooth and classy.

2- Luxary and comfort:
    They are both top of their class and as some said you cannot go wrong. Still the 5 series feels more expensive and premium than the E class. The Suspenssions are better on the BMW as well. The engine in both cars are smooth, but the E class due to its higher midrange torque feels more relaxed.

3- Exterior design:
    This is something highly subjective, I really don't like how the previous generation E class and CLK looked. I felt they looked cheap.
    On the other hand if someone asked me what is the ultimate sport sedan ever produced without thinking I will immediately say the BMW E39 M5. I really liked how the E39 5 series looked. The looks were not offensive as the current BMW styling. They were more relaxed and ready for you to look at them every day and every minute and every second.

4- Interior design:
    I think that the E has a harder seats aging tachos and dials, where in the 5 series though the dials are old but they don't feel as old as the Mercs dials do. Everything in the BMW is easy to look and you do feel that everything was designed together. Where on the Merc you really get the feeling that the person who designed the look of the central consule has nothing to do with the person designing the tachos.

In your shoes:
    Unless I got really disappointed by the BMWs 2.8L engine's performance I would not consider an E320. If you managed to find a BMW 540i then go buy the car and don't think about anything else.

Hope that was clear and helpful..
    thank you so much for the info, best post to answer my question...

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    1- Performance:
    Great post. As for performance, you're absolutely right about the shassis and transmission. I would add that E39 is not limited to 528i with a 2.8 V6. With the latest E39 facelifts (either in 2002 or 2003) a 530i and 535i are available. So, if you want something more powerful than a W201 E320- get an E39 535i. But on the other hand you can get a bigger engine with W201 as well.

2- Luxary and comfort:
    I would not necessarily say that 5 series feels more expensive and premium. Rather, it is a car for the DRIVER, while MB is mainly for a passenger, especially the back seat passenger when it comes to W220 (new S-Klass).

3- Exterior design:
    No doubt that an E39 looks much better than a W201. And the E38 (previous 7 series) looks much better than W140 (previous S-Klass). And yes, the E46 3 looks better than the C-Klass. And an E65- the new 7 series is the most fascinating piece of engineering ever produced by human kind. Design wise I see no competition from any auto manufacturer.

Couple of months ago I signed an online petition to fire BMW's cheif designer. Because the new line- 3-series and 5-series LOOK LIKE CRAP!!!! 6-series is more or less decent looking.

4- Interior design:
    BMW's traditional dashboard (inclined towards the driver) was AWESOME. But with the new line of models- it is gone. And Audi now has that dashboard on its new models. This sucks.

I had sports seats from an M5 + M5 enterior on my E34. It looked awesome. My seats were black and red, and the red matched the color of the car perfectly (color code: "roat hell").

In your shoes:
    Totally agree. A W201 E320 is for some business executives who only care about prestige and wanna watch the news on the back seat. An E39 is for people true auto enthusiasts like us.

And you can always get a larger engine if 2.8 is not enough.

One of my friends who lives in DC got himself a new E-Klass tuned by AMG- an E55. 5 liter V12 with a super tuned engine, brakes, suspension, etc. But he drives it only on the weekends due to high gas consumption (some 12-15 miles per gallon, or 25-30 liters per 100km), and on a weekdays he drives a Subaru. So, what's the point of making $2,500 a month payment for a car which depreciates like crazy and you get to drive it for only 104 days in a year?

OP
    NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #57
    Elnur_E65 thanks alot...

about the 530i, is it the same chassis as the 528i or a newer one?

OP
    NEDVED

NEDVED

Nov 16, 2003
  • Thread Starter #58
    ++ [ originally posted by NEDVED ] ++
    Elnur_E65 thanks alot...

to make my self clearer, u said :" And you can always get a larger engine if 2.8 is not enough", how can i do this? i have to change the car itself no?

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    Elnur_E65 thanks alot...

Hmmm... I am not exactly sure how it is with E39. 3.0 liter engine is slightly bigger than 2.8l.

I had a 3.5 liter M30 engine on my E34. And all the parts, including chassis, were different- there were much larger to sustain a heavier engine.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004

to make my self clearer, u said :" And you can always get a larger engine if 2.8 is not enough", how can i do this? i have to change the car itself no?
    I meant that if you want something that would accelerate faster than W201 E320, you can buy an E39 with a 3.0 or 3.5 liter engines, not the 528i.

Furthermore, if you want a 528i, you are looking at the older models, because 528 was produced between 1996 and 2000 (or 2001). So, if you shoot for a 530i or 535i, you are automatically looking at newer models- with facelifted lights, bumpers and some interior.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)