Captain Keane leaves United (2 Viewers)

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Keane’s Wages Worry Celtic

Celtic chairman Brian Quinn has made it clear that Roy Keane would have to accept a substantial cut in wages if he wanted to join the Scottish League leaders.
Keane, 34, is a free agent after leaving Manchester United last Friday, and has attracted early interest from Wigan, Bolton, Portsmouth, Manchester City and Aston Villa, according to reports.

But the Irishman has previously stated that he would like to end his career with Celtic.

However, at United Keane is believed to have earned around £90,000 a week.

And Quinn told BBC Radio Five Live: "That’s a sum that’s out of the question for us."

The Celtic chairman said he and manager Gordon Strachan had not discussed, as yet, whether the Glasgow giants – who beat Old Firm rivals 3-0 on Saturday - would want to sign Keane.

Quinn said: "Would he fit into Gordon’s plans? The team is playing very well at the moment and they look settled.

"You wonder whether you would want interrupt things, but that’s up to Gordon.

"The other question to consider is the business side.

"We would have to wait and see what Roy Keane is proposing, if indeed he’s looking for anything at all from Celtic.

"When he first talked about leaving United as far as I can see the word Celtic didn’t pass his lips."

Keane officially left Old Trafford by mutual consent, although there is widespread speculation that it was a result of a bust-up with manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Whoever Keane joins, he will be unable to make his debut for his new club until 1 January.

Although his United contract was cancelled "by mutual consent", Fifa rules stipulate that no player subject to such a move would be allowed to sign for a new club outside the next available transfer window.

----------------------

I think Juve's wages commitments are high enough, and we don't have to make it more. If both Emerson and Vieira are staying, Keane should look to another place!!!

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Roma head legion of clubs out to sign Keane

Roy Keane has been targeted by the Italian club Roma, who have made an enquiry about the former Manchester United midfielder with a view to taking him in January. They are the only Serie A side to have made a serious approach. Juventus are understood to have been approached by Keane's lawyer Michael Kennedy, but the Turin club have indicated that they are not interested in signing the 34-year-old.

Roma, eighth in Serie A after 12 games, will sell their wayward young talent Antonio Cassano in January, with no shortage of takers for the precocious striker. With the money expected from his sale - to Juventus or Milan - they would be able to put together a package that Keane would find attractive. Roma's manager Luciano Spalletti has been told by his club's board that they will make an effort to sign the player.

By Sam Wallace
http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/news/article328278.ece

----------------------------

If you read it again, you note that Keane asked for Juve, not Juve asked for Keane!!!

ReBeL

The Jackal
Jan 14, 2005
Keane can take his pick from the 30 offers from clubs on the table. (The Independent)

---------

He can count it 29 now!!!

OP
V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #47
    • V

V

although i love him as a player, and a person, i don't see the point of us signing him.

vippy84

Oct 22, 2005
    Keane will be a perfect sub for Juventus central midfield as when one of Emerson or Vieira injured, Juve always lose a little bit of their character of solidarity....

But the wage demand will be high!! especially if the offer comes from a big club like Juventus. Depending on him, he could come to Juventus if he risks being benched allt he time... but if he wants to get first team football then he would be going off to Celtic or Middlesbrough or even Roma... realistically they need this sort of player and we dont...

I like him as any other great players on the field but age always shows the sign... look at Nedved now... we need replacement soon!!!
    and also the aging central defenders...... we need young backups!!!

;) :confused:

vippy84

Oct 22, 2005
    Hi m_elayyan

The best day of the week is... when Juve beat Roma and Milan lost to Fiorentina...
    now Juve is alone at the summit!!!!

:weee:

there should be a vBookie for this!! it will be fun!!!!!

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    There is no reason why we should decline the chance to pick up this guy...Keane is thousands of times better than Blasi and Giannichedda and even though he will be cup tied he can still be a great replacement for Emerson in Serie A. By singing Keane we can give our top two central midfielders more of a rest and keep them fresh for the CL. If he wasn't cup tied this would be a no-brainer IMO...he still has class.

vippy84

Oct 22, 2005
    you are right roche...
    Since our aim this year is to win CL... so we need him to play against other serie A teams before the CL matches...
    it would be awesome to have emo and vieira rested to play gianni n keane instead!!

OP
    V

V

Jun 8, 2005
  • Thread Starter #53
    • V

V

i don't think keano would accept the role we would have in stor for him.

del pietro

Aug 13, 2005
    get keane... even for just this season.. i think he would have fun playing with us in italy. can u imagine him and vieira together... so much love in the midfield!!

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
    keane although he loves celtic will not go there. he wants to learn more about coaching and where better than italy the land of tactical know how. and in his book he said when he nearly left united before the two clubs that he was amazed with were juve and bayern.

i could be laughing doubley now yesterday i bet €20 on keane to join juve at 50/1 that same bet is 7/1 now.

i think keane would be happy enough to be third choice cm behind emo and vieira.

keaneo is not finished. if he joins i will go straight out and buy a juve jersey with keane on the back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)