Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (48 Viewers)

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
A review of his game:

1 - Missed two free headers. He didn't even hit them on target on either occasion
2 - Had a wonderful chance to have a shot almost 1 on 1 with the keeper. Instead, he put in a pointless and useless cross that almost went out for a throw in
3 - Was beaten in the air nearly every time, and it twice led to a goal
4 - Looked as though he was going to trip over the ball every time he had it
5 - One of his attempted crosses went flying out of the stadium even though he had no pressure on him

What has happened to the once great man this season? Molinaro has become more useful

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010
He's always beaten in the air. Really losing trust on him, no idea what the fuck's wrong. He was always clumsy but now he's awkward and just plain bad.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
Actually my point is that those defensive mistakes aren't too position-related. You can assume he took CB role and the mistake will still be there.
To be fair, there's almost nothing he can do about the first goal, it all happened to fast and the cross was brilliant (which is sadly something Juve really lack), the blame is for the right wing who was taken by surprise.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
I've never understood why people were so eager to put him at left back, it just highlights all the faults he has. He's constantly drifting across to play as a CB when the opposition are attacking Lichtsteiner's flank, and he gets more of a chance to show off how clumsy he is in attack. He cannot cross well, and his passing is bad when he's under pressure, and he doesn't have ball control.

Conte really needs to find a way of getting him back to centre back soon.
Exactly what I've said a page back. :tup:

Just stick him next to Barza again and pray one of PDC or Grosso can manage to string a few decent games together.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
I've never understood why people were so eager to put him at left back, it just highlights all the faults he has. He's constantly drifting across to play as a CB when the opposition are attacking Lichtsteiner's flank, and he gets more of a chance to show off how clumsy he is in attack. He cannot cross well, and his passing is bad when he's under pressure, and he doesn't have ball control.

Conte really needs to find a way of getting him back to centre back soon.
I think that's normally the way fullbacks put themselves, you can also see that Licht also track back to the centre when the opposition play the opposite wing (remember Milan's Berlusconi Cup goal). If you're referring to Genoa's first goal then I can say that Chiellini had done most good fullback would do, that cross and the goalscorer movement were so good that only world class defender would successfully put that away.

May 22, 2007
I think that's normally the way fullbacks put themselves, you can also see that Licht also track back to the centre when the opposition play the opposite wing (remember Milan's Berlusconi Cup goal). If you're referring to Genoa's first goal then I can say that Chiellini had done most good fullback would do, that cross and the goalscorer movement were so good that only world class defender would successfully put that away.
He was originally tracking Rossi's run, as he's the only target that the crosser can aim for in the penalty area. Then Chiellini stepped into the middle to go in front of Bonucci and Rossi changed his run.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
He was originally tracking Rossi's run, as he's the only target that the crosser can aim for in the penalty area. Then Chiellini stepped into the middle to go in front of Bonucci and Rossi changed his run.
Actually Rossi changed his run before Chiellini moved to the middle. My guess here is that the last time Chiellini saw Rossi, he thought that Rossi was going to cut in. The moment Rossi realize he's in Chiellini's blind spot, he changed direction and going wide. The blame here is Bonucci who was late to track back so Chiellini have to cover in too deep.

Chiellini's positioning was a little bit questionable but I'll give it more to Rossi and whoever it is that crossed it, it was a good move.

May 22, 2007
Actually Rossi changed his run before Chiellini moved to the middle. My guess here is that the last time Chiellini saw Rossi, he thought that Rossi was going to cut in. The moment Rossi realize he's in Chiellini's blind spot, he changed direction and going wide. The blame here is Bonucci who was late to track back so Chiellini have to cover in too deep.
They split at the same time, Chiellini was focusing more on the cross and less on defending Rossi.

frick

Apr 4, 2010
Both Chiellini and Rossi were on the same track, but when that cross was kicked in, Chiellini was still running to the middle while Rossi made a move to the far wide. You can see that in the replay, the moment that both Rossi changed direction and the cross was kicked were almost the same (miliseconds difference at least). (My guess is) Chiellini thought that the cross was going to be a little low because he saw Rossi made cut in runs the last time Rossi was in his view.

Chiellini had to focus more on the crosser because he knew that cross will go in anytime at that moment. He didn't have time to check Rossi's movement, well if he did, he'll lose the track of the ball and everything will be too late, not that it matters anywyay. He made judgment calls and unfortunately it didn't go his way.

What matters the most is the cross; that cross was precise even though Rossi changed direction almost at the same time the cross was made.

In the end of course I think Chiellini should do better but it's barely a fuck-up. This is not a video game where you can track the attackers runs that easily; Rossi played in Chiello's blind spot nicely and the cross was really good.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
This guy need to be back as cb
I think De Ceglie is not a bad solution until winter
Although dc cost us a goal against parma and a corner which resulted in a goal
I still think dc do better than chiellini as lb if we see chiellini plays lb in genoa and chievo match,not count the milan match

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 47)