rvi

l'amour toujours
Apr 5, 2007
He deserves a rest now.

Forza Chiellini!

-------

Chiellini proud of maiden Euro
Monday 23 June, 2008

Juventus defender Giorgio Chiellini was one of Italy’s best performers at Euro 2008 and he has given his evaluation of his first major tournament.

Chiellini was one of the success stories of last season, starting the campaign as a reserve after nearly completing a move to Manchester City but finishing as a regular starter in Turin.

And this summer, he established himself as a key stopper for Italy’s future after a place opened up for him when he accidentally injured skipper Fabio Cannavaro in training.

Chiellini kept Spain’s deadly attacking stars quiet last night, but saw his teammates fold during a penalty shoot-out.

“I can only be proud of my first European Championship,” the Pisa native said to the Juventus Channel.

“But obviously I am disappointed with the way that the Italian adventure ended because we weren’t very lucky.”

Chiellini concluded by giving a brief look at the sides left in the tournament.

“The striker who impressed me the most was Spain’s David Villa,” he reflected.

“I don’t know how this competition will end because everyone feels they can win when outsiders reach the semi-finals.

“Right now though I am just thinking about taking a holiday and I will be back in the middle of July.”

Buy on AliExpress.com

HAZEM

L'architetto
Apr 22, 2008
Giorgio Chieillini did one of his greatest matches yesterday , truly we should keep him for long time , and try to get a partner as great as him .... 2 Chieillini in the defence would be great ... and hardluck guys we will win the 2010 WC with our new stars with Chieillini , Giovinco , De cegile and Marchisio.....

Esteban

Mar 6, 2005
But he has grown into a world class centre back and that's where he will excel for the next decade. He shouldn't be wasting his talent at LB and besides his ability going forward with the ball at his feet is a bit suspicious in my book.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
well there are rumours suggesting Zebina is leaving, so who knows maybe Melleberg may have to be an RB...don't think Zeb is leaving, but you never know

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
Thats the big one for me about Giorgio, he has been able to defend aggressively but still focusing on the ball not the man like Materazzi for example.

And to think that Barzagli started infront of him in that holland game.
I think having all those men back helped in situations where he might have to make a split decision between cutting off multiple threats on the retreat run. But what we saw today was really great one-on-one defense, closing down on his men, showing an excellent sense of timing and positioning against some top-notch forwards. That Italy played a defensive game won't take anything away from that.

I was reminded of his performances marking Zlatan this year, where both times he squashed him like a bug.
Absolutely! There is no doubt Chiellini was the best defender of Italy. I think he will only play at CB (Though I loved his game at LB too) because Italy's "Great Defense" era is over. There aren't much available anymore, and he seems and probably is the best one out of the available, I believe Juve will focus on developing him in that area.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 23)