Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (72 Viewers)

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
He is having great performance, controlling his temper, not making errors or stupid tackles and all. I was one of those who wanted him to play in the sides, I am still not 100% sure about the CB role, thou he keeps on progressing day after day in the center.

He did great, but we should also not ignore that his team was defending with 10 men behind, and that makes his job much easier. I just want to see him perform in CL against the great clubs, then I will be fully convinced if he is the "next Cannavaro" or not. So far it's all great!
Thats the big one for me about Giorgio, he has been able to defend aggressively but still focusing on the ball not the man like Materazzi for example.

And to think that Barzagli started infront of him in that holland game.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Joaco

the cronopio
Dec 11, 2005
Thats the big one for me about Giorgio, he has been able to defend aggressively but still focusing on the ball not the man like Materazzi for example.

And to think that Barzagli started infront of him in that holland game.
Indeed, he did awesome today. I was very impressive how he controlled Torres the whole match, but, as Snoop said, I think we should wait and see more than him before call him the next Cannavaro, but he is going in the right way!

Enoran

Nov 3, 2007
With his height and play, he is more of a Nesta than a Canna .... IMO

Nonetheless, rather be called the next Nesta or the next Canna, will be more appropriate to call him the "New Chiellini" the one that might turned to a WC CB

I see him partnering Canna for the NT until Canna retires, by then he will be leading the backline for both Juve and Azzurri

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
He did great, but we should also not ignore that his team was defending with 10 men behind, and that makes his job much easier. I just want to see him perform in CL against the great clubs, then I will be fully convinced if he is the "next Cannavaro" or not. So far it's all great!
I think having all those men back helped in situations where he might have to make a split decision between cutting off multiple threats on the retreat run. But what we saw today was really great one-on-one defense, closing down on his men, showing an excellent sense of timing and positioning against some top-notch forwards. That Italy played a defensive game won't take anything away from that.

I was reminded of his performances marking Zlatan this year, where both times he squashed him like a bug.

David01

Aug 20, 2006
yeah Chiellini probably was the best Italy player today
I was also impressed at the way Camo entered the game and how he dealt with the pressure of his spot kick, he was so calm, that was classy

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
The man's a monster. What a player. Probably pipped Buffon as Italy's man of the match last nite. Although the latter has my vote for the Azzurri's player of the tournament. Looking at how it ended up, there was no fucking competition.

Yamen

Apr 20, 2007
Bravo Chiellini.. simply superb Job. Top class defending in every single way. He was on high alert the entire 120 minutes..

I am proud he's a Juventino for sure.. "2 thumbs up"

Paolo Sosa

Nov 11, 2005
i watched the game again and i was even more impressed with chiellini he even covered up for Panucci's mistakes acouple of times. he did one mistake in which Guiza could have scored but thank god it was a hand ball. other than that he was WC

Jun 13, 2007
I think what impresses me the most about him is his mentality. For a young player, he has the mentality of a five time world cup winner. Look at Aquillani last night, despite his talent, he just couldn't perform under so much pressure. Chiellini is different, he always rises to the occassion and fears absolutely nothing.

He still has a long, long way before we can really start labelling him a future Juve legend, but he is undoubtedly on the right path. If he and Melberg can form a strong partnership at the back, we could potentially have the strongest defense in Italy.

cunninlynguists

Amsterdam Ambassador
May 7, 2006
I think what impresses me the most about him is his mentality. For a young player, he has the mentality of a five time world cup winner. Look at Aquillani last night, despite his talent, he just couldn't perform under so much pressure. Chiellini is different, he always rises to the occassion and fears absolutely nothing.

He still has a long, long way before we can really start labelling him a future Juve legend, but he is undoubtedly on the right path. If he and Melberg can form a strong partnership at the back, we could potentially have the strongest central defense in Italy.
:oops:

David01

Aug 20, 2006
there were only two players on the pitch that played like a world champion and that was Chiellini and Buffon
poor performance from Italy, they played real catenachio
thank god for Buffon and Chiellini otherwise it would have been over a lot sooner

AOD4

Nov 24, 2004
Chielini deserver a better partner in the centre of defense infront of Buffon. He was awesome throughout the tournament, he stopped Henry,Benzema,Torres and Villa. How many 23 years old would do that and not to forget he wasnt helped by the lousy Panucci and the error prone Zambro. The future can only look better with this guy leading our defense but seriously i would love to get a better partner than the one we have currently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 55)