Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (59 Viewers)

Alin

FINO ALLA FINE!
Jul 27, 2015
Chiellini: 'Art of defending lost' by FootballiTalia

Giorgio Chiellini called winning “a drug” for Juventus and fears “the art of defending” has been lost in Italy, but insists he was “always fair.”

The centre-back spoke to Undici magazine about his past, present and future in Turin.

“This season is no less motivating than any other, because for years Juventus have been racing only against ourselves,” said Chiellini.

“I can’t choose between our victories, as they are all wonderful, and it’s not true that in the end it becomes boring. Winning is like a drug. It’s something you need, because if you feel that emotion once, you do everything to experience it again.”

He is known as a rather rugged defender who relishes breaking up the opposition play.

“You have to disturb the movements of the opposition strikers and prevent them, doing things that make them short-circuit. I have always been like that and I think that’s how you ought to go into these grand duels.

“I’m certainly not a pleasant player to face on the field, but I’m always fair. Nowadays I am less impulsive, as I can reflect on my actions better. When I was 22 years old, every game was a battle, even a war, because at that age I could just let out all my tension and adrenaline.

“Even then, I wasn’t nasty, but I was a pain to play against. Now I’ve become accustomed to it, but back then you don’t know where to direct your energy and tension.”
This last part in particular is what i like so much about Chiellini, he is a very down to earth, straight forward person and most importantly a no non-sense type of guy... :tup:

Chiellini has expressed his oppinion of Pep Guardiola’s approach to football and explained his theory in greater detail.

“I believe the advent of Guardiola’s style of football has changed the nature of something we in Italy did so well for many years, which is the art of defending.

“There is a remarkable generational gap in defenders and that’s what caused it. Now lads who arrive in Serie A know how to spread the play and pass the ball, they can make a pin-point pass 40 metres away, but they haven’t the slightest idea how to man-mark or take players on on-on-one.”

With this in mind, would Chiellini like to become a Coach and pass on his knowledge to the next generation?

“When I do hang up my boots, I want to remain in football, but with a career more behind a desk than as a Coach.”

Vialli_92

Mar 7, 2013
This last part in particular is what i like so much about Chiellini, he is a very down to earth, straight forward person and most importantly a no non-sense type of guy... :tup:
In my opinion that sort of attitude will only hold Italian football back

Either you adapt to the new ways or you lag behind the competition

He may not like it because he's an old school defender and one of the last of a dying breathe but football has changed significantly and the best teams no longer defend with their backs to the wall but are the ones who set the tempo and prioritise attack over defence

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
Playmakers keep going deeper and deeper in football: from supporting strikers, then to AMFs, and now the Pirlo/Xavi position... guess it's the center-backs' turn at playmaking.

Apr 19, 2007
In my opinion that sort of attitude will only hold Italian football back

Either you adapt to the new ways or you lag behind the competition

He may not like it because he's an old school defender and one of the last of a dying breathe but football has changed significantly and the best teams no longer defend with their backs to the wall but are the ones who set the tempo and prioritise attack over defence
I disagree to some extent. We have a far less gifted team than Barca and we thumped them last year. Offense doesnt always win but the two Spanish Giants both play very attacking and have two of the best players of all time. So yes attacking is winning right now but that doesnt mean you are left behind if you build on defense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 38)