Capitano Giorgio Chiellini (113 Viewers)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
He's a professional football player in serie A and a PhD holder at 26 :shocked:

:delpiero:
I don't think it's a PhD. The term dottore is used more often in Italy and not only for people who hold PhDs. They say he recently got his grade so I assume we're talking about a master's degree here.

Paid-off-Ref

Dec 16, 2004
Cheers to Chiellini. However I believe it was a bachelor's degree. Still it takes a lot of effort and determination to both study at school and be a professional football player at the highest level.

Lucky Luke

Jul 23, 2007
Contract extension talks between Juventus and Giorgio Chiellini have yet to begin in earnest, his agent has revealed.

The Italian international is pursuing a new and improved contract after years of consistent performances in Turin.

Currently tied to the outfit until 2013, the former Livorno stopper currently earns €2m a season – considerably less than some of his teammates.

Talks over a renewal were expected to be a formality given the club’s belief in the player and Chiellini’s commitment to the cause.

However, the centre-back has yet to put pen to paper and his representative has now revealed that talks have not started.

“We still need to sit down and discuss things with Juventus,” agent Davide Lippi noted on Monday afternoon.

It’s believed that Juve would rather postpone contract talks with Chiellini after the club failed to qualify for the Champions League last season.

Lippi’s comment this afternoon is expected to fuel rumours that Juve could even listen to offers for the former left-back this summer.

Real Madrid, Manchester United and Manchester City have all been associated with the World Cup player in the past.

FI.
those rumours about chiellini are disturbing imo,fuck media BS

May 22, 2007
Davide Lippi said that there might be a meeting by the end of this week with Marotta about his future. He also said that Chiellini doesn't particularly want to leave Juventus.

faank

Sep 27, 2008
I read many posts on these forums about him being a liability because of his passes, most recently in the Serie A thread. Sure, he's not a good passer. What I don't understand is, why does a CB essentially have to be a great passer? I want my CB to defend well, first and foremost. Chiellini does that on a very high level. Why not use a system which eliminates the possibility of him launching long balls up front? Pair him with a CB that's a little more comfortable with the ball. Involve the wings and the midfield more in the build up play. Don't let him be the initiator. His excellent ability to defend surely outweighs his miserable passes. There is a reason why they are called defenders. I might be old school but this is how I see it. It'd be most foolish to sell him any time soon, players like him don't come around every year. The guy seems loyal, just give him a new contract with a raise. He deserves it.

Ken

The Dutch Touch
Aug 17, 2007
He's not a liability, but he's not the most complete defender around, since he's not great with the ball at his feet. His defensive abilities are excellent though.

I pretty much agree with you, though I don't think that many people consider him a liability in the first place. Any player has his weaknesses, and those are usually discussed.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
I don't suppose his contract extension is a high priority right now, as the club is hastily trying to assemble a squad for next season in a transfer window. The flip side is that because we are in a window and he hasn't signed until 2035 there will be transfer stories around him.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Funny how a horrible season can have that affect.

Who is calling Chiellini a liability? That's ridiculous, in this team he couldn't be further from being one of the liabilities.

May 22, 2007
I don't think anyone has said he's a liability.

People have complained at his lack of focused and controlled passing, which I agree with to an extent. I don't necessarily blame him for it, because at Juventus, as a CB, it seems you are taught that the midfield is completely useless for creating chances and that you should be kicking it 60 yards to the strikers instead.

I'll have quite huge respect for the coach who ends the 'long ball' and creates a smarter midfield.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 98)